Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems, lately, I can't go into any store that I don't run acrossed people talking about what is comming.

I was surprised, at first, by how many people were/are talking about the state of the economy and the preperations that they have taken to protect and feed their families.

I'm almost giddie with excitment that so many people are aware of the situation and talking with each other about it. They are looking/finding ways to deal with the situation that is and may come.

It seems the DARK ABYSS that was my future is filling in with people, who like me, see a danger and are taking steps to ward that danger off.

Hope is what will keep the light of liberty alive in America.

Action is what will keep Democracy alive in America.

It is so heart warming to see both hope and action working side by side in my community.

·
Registered
498 Posts
It made me smile last time I went into the local Piggly Wiggly that near the front
door they had shelves full of oil lamps and lanterns. In three years and with all
the hurricanes in the area (it's almost past hurricane season) they've never carried
more than candles. . It just struck me as kind of odd but made me think they're aware
of troubling times ahead.

·
Endure-Adapt-Overcome
332 Posts
My and my wife were at Sam's last week and was stocking up on some items and a man asked us why so much rice, sugar and beans. So I stoped and talked to him about being ready and looking ahead for survival. He must have asked me about 25-30 questions of things to buy and things to own. I know alot of people at work that would look at me like I was crazy every time I would read a survival book or my Backwoods Home Magazine, but now they walk up to me and ask questions and ask about books they need to read and web sites to go and read. Most people are seeing the light, but so many will never see and that is still sad.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
California Survivalist : I had some friends visit a couple of years ago from Ukiah. They are hard core Costco shoppers..
They brought use several gifts purchased at Costco in Santa Rosa , the thing I found strange was every product had the "Organic " label on it.
When it gets down and dirty I dont care if it's Organic.
Guess I've been away from Calif long enough to care about that stuff..........

·
Registered
173 Posts
My and my wife were at Sam's last week and was stocking up on some items and a man asked us why so much rice, sugar and beans. So I stoped and talked to him about being ready and looking ahead for survival. He must have asked me about 25-30 questions of things to buy and things to own. I know alot of people at work that would look at me like I was crazy every time I would read a survival book or my Backwoods Home Magazine, but now they walk up to me and ask questions and ask about books they need to read and web sites to go and read. Most people are seeing the light, but so many will never see and that is still sad.
You might be wise to hand out business cards. Some of you on here might be able to make some money at teaching people basic farming or survival skills. As the economy worsens and people become more scared, opportunities will arise. Keep an open mind. It's a whole new ballgame.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that is an idea Pithaelmeeter. Anyone living in a city/urban community should think about lending part of their back yard to an avid gardener. then split the crop with them as they teach you to garden your own soil.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
The unfortunate side of this is eventually the economy will improve and americans will prove once again how short a memory they really have. Granted there will be a few converts who will swell our ranks but I bet it will be less than 1 % who make preping a life style.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The unfortunate side of this is eventually the economy will improve and americans will prove once again how short a memory they really have. Granted there will be a few converts who will swell our ranks but I bet it will be less than 1 % who make preping a life style.
I think this is no more evident than the recent resurgence of SUV purchases. How daft can these people be?

·
Registered
687 Posts
I've noticed the same things lately, but those of us who have been around survivalism for awhile have seen this to some point or another, alla Y2K.

I am interested to see if it sticks. It wasn't very long ago in this country that almost everyone would have been considered a survivalist by todays standards. Back then it was just considered common sense.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
everyone in houston is in denial for the most part

Reactions: Lamb

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
I think this is no more evident than the recent resurgence of SUV purchases. How daft can these people be?
That's not all.
I watch what others are putting in their shopping carts.
I see lots of junk.
I'm buying paraffin for waxing the blocks of cheese I buy and the other shoppers are stocking up on Oreos.
I think if there is real awareness there is also the media driven illusion that the messiah will kiss it make it better.

Daft indeed.

·
Fashionably Prepared
78 Posts
You can see that in hurricane and fire prone areas. How many people have been wiped out and rebuilt exactly the same way? Every time there is a hurricane coming, I see people on the news, running to Home Depot for plywood and supplies. Like they NEVER thought of any of that before - in a place where it happens fequently? Unbelievable!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.