Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one:

Before Canterbury reviewed this bow I really had my doubts about a quality, safe takedown or folding bow. They all seemed rather shoddy/unreliable in the past. But Canterbury's demonstration swung me over and I ordered it.
The review is two parts, first, the shipping experience.

To frank, it was terrible. I was trapped in a status processing mode on Primal Gear's website for months, and didn't receive any responses to my emails until finally I became terse -though still polite- with them. Even then response was slow and, for a small business, not particularly warm or obliging. Even accounting for the excuse that Primal Gear had never expected the immense success and popularity of their bow and couldn't meet demand, the immense wait time, plus the lack of communication, was unacceptable. I want to order some extra parts from them, but will not do so until I'm sure their reputation for delivery and customer service has improved.

Next, the bow.
In short, it's excellent.
Especially for the price. For a 129 bucks you get a very high quality bow that when assembled feels almost like a traditional longbow. Let me tell you, it packs a wallop. I don't post pics of myself, which is too bad because I have some great pics and vids of this bow pushing arrows through a heavily padded target with the same approximate delivery as my 60lb compound.

The bow feels beautiful to draw and handle, even though it's designed strictly to be utilitarian, and for me anyway it requires zero tweaking. I didn't have to crimp on a nock to the string and tbh, I don't know what others have complained about, because even without silencers its is a very quiet bow.
The length of the risers, and solid fabrication of the bow ensures it has a strong, even pull and there's no excessive shuddering or wobbly parts going on. Honestly, the thing is fun to shoot. I didn't want to stop when I took it out and can't wait to put more shafts down range in a couple of days. On a side not, when I took up my Whitetail 2 compound and shot it, it really struck home to me how much a compound does a lot of the shooting for you. It felt great to go back to traditional, instinctive shooting.

In regards the 60lb/55lb draw controversy, I'm of the opinion that it depends on the archer's draw length. Remember this a survival bow, and one size fits all, but maybe someone will actually do a proper weight test on it. Either way, you'll have no problem dropping game with this.

When folded down for storage the thing is unidentifiable to the unlearned eye. If you were pulled over and had your car checked it would be just glanced over as some kind of camp equipment or lawn chair junk or something. It can be attached to a back quiver, or the side of your BOB with no problem. Though I'm not a fan of takedown arrows, if you had some they could be placed with the takedown bow together in a nondescript tube sack, or down the side of your bob or under your car seat and you could go anywhere with it with no problems.

To recap, this is an excellent product, but with absolutely horrid delivery service and times that will hopefully be rectified in the future. You will not get a better bow for the price and I would have bought it if it were even 20 or 30 dollars more, that's how good it is.
Here's a comparison between the Primal Gear and one of its competitors.

Here's the same brother testing it for the first time. Just drag through to the mid point and look at his shoot. Notice beautifully smooth draw and send off of the arrow. Man, but this is a fun bow to shoot.

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE

Just bagged a rabbit with it this morning. Big one. In about 40 minutes going to be eating a nice stew.

I don't think I would have tried the shot with my compound, but everything was in place for a perfect shot with the Primal Gear.

People, this is one great, reliable bow!

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the nice review! Would you recommend this bow for someone who has little experience in archery?
Probably not as your first bow, brother. For your first I'd go for a nice fixed recurve, many of which can be got at a good price. Then when you feel the time is right you can expand further into traditional archery or go compound.
If you're just starting out it's a really good idea to head to a knowledgeable dealer and get them to match a bow to your draw length, weight and match some arrows for your bow.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Probably not as your first bow, brother. For your first I'd go for a nice fixed recurve, many of which can be got at a good price. Then when you feel the time is right you can expand further into traditional archery or go compound.
If you're just starting out it's a really good idea to head to a knowledgeable dealer and get them to match a bow to your draw length, weight and match some arrows for your bow.
Alright thanks for the info! I appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I have a long draw length, and use 31" arrows. This bow would probably be about 60 lb pull at that length. I like it and want to get one, but hopefully their delivery time has improved. One could get one of those folding lawn chair soft tube holders and put the bow and a bunch of regular arrows in it for carry. Most would think you are carrying a folding lawn chair. Good idea.

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One could get one of those folding lawn chair Good idea.
Embarrassed LoL here, because I actually do that :eek:: They just seem purpose build as nice waterproof quivers/bow tackle carriers.

·
Blame Canada.
3,226 Posts
I have a long draw length, and use 31" arrows. This bow would probably be about 60 lb pull at that length. I like it and want to get one, but hopefully their delivery time has improved. One could get one of those folding lawn chair soft tube holders and put the bow and a bunch of regular arrows in it for carry. Most would think you are carrying a folding lawn chair. Good idea.
I'm at 29" and the one I was shooting was stacking pretty bad. If they made the limbs longer by two or three inches I would like this bow. It would be dandy with a reel and a fiber glass fishing arrow. They are really pretty tough little bows. It still gets poo pooed by bow snobs, but from my small bit of time with one, its really a decent bow for the market its aimed at.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts