Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(I find it very difficult to post this thread as it hurts my ego. So if you have no respect, please go to some other posts, or find some hobby other than hurting everyone else. Thank you.)

A lot of the information here is for the people that make some "decent salary", but what about the poor one?!?

I barely make enough money to pay the car, the gas, insurance, my very small appartement, electricity and some food (I never have empty stomach, but I'm never "full"). Let's say that when I have some extra money I have to keep it if something goes wrong with the mechanics, I have a 10 years old car, so... you know what I am saying. Some would say dump the god damn car, but I couldn't work without one... Btw, I don't drink booze nor do drugs.

When I see all this s--t going on in the world, it leaves me wondering what am I going to do. Me and the wife are very worried about the upcoming years. I'm on the thin line between the street / and having a home. Hopefully I live wisely and I don't have very much dept.

I'm just wondering how we'll deal with this, before everything collapse, and during the upcoming events. Even if I had the best BOB for free, if we don't eat that much, how would you carry that BOB on long distance, be realistic.

Again, if you have nothing good to say, please don't post. I'm open to good criticism, not some insults. Thank you. I'm looking for general informations in people in that similar situation, not on my very specific situation. As we don't know what will happens, everything can change tomorrow. So what about preparedness without money?!? If that is possible?

·
Displaced Texan
501 Posts
Other than a few extra dollars....WE'RE NO DIFFERENT THAN YOU! You're definitely NOT alone.

AND....there is some totally excellent, intelligent advice if you read the threads on frugality and preparedness. It's all here thanks to the contributions made by the family of survivors with attitudes alligned right along-side you & I.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
barbuchon,

a lot of people that come to this board are just starting off or putting away 1 or 2 extra items a week. I know exactly how you feel, Im doing good right now, but my circumstances are about to change in the near future and i too worry about how i will be able to put anything away.

Have you thought of starting up a garden? You can try planting potatoes, they are filling and nutritious. Its certainly not an option for everyone, but I have been taking 1 class at a time, trying to get some kind of degree to make what you are calling a 'decent' salary. Its going to take me a lot longer than most, but i hope eventually I will get there.

·
Registered
249 Posts
dude i know exactly how you feel, i have been there and probably will in the future. the reason i have things like i do was because i was an idiot and bought a shiny new gun when i should have paid the rent and things like that, now im $3000 in debt, and live with my parents. the best thing you can do is stock up on food like rice and beans and oats. and lots of water. put away $5 a week and you will be able to buy an extra weeks reserve of food a month, make sure to rotate your water stock. being poor is nothing to feel bad about, these days a large amount of people cannot make ends meet, myself included, and its all the fault of these big corporations draining us for every cent. material possessions do not determine ones character.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
What about "the poor one?"

I do not mean any disrespect to you. I know nothing about you. Being "prepared" is about arming yourself with knowledge and an education. YOU must take responsibility for you OWN life.

If you do not make enough money, it is up to YOU to get the education and training that you need. YOU and YOUR WIFE must make the sacrifices that you need to get ahead in life. I dropped out of high school in my senior year, got a GED and joined the Army. That gave me the job skills and self discipline I needed to get started.

It was not until I was in my mid twenties that I realized I needed more education. I got that by going to school at night and working three jobs. That still was not enough for me. I spent four years building my own business and now it employs nearly fifty people. I am 38 years old now. That business is still running--and I am not involved on a day-to-day basis any longer yet I received a monthly stipend from it. My time is freed up to pursue other interests and income.

You have to ask yourself--Do you want to be one of the sheep? Or would you rather be the shepard? You have to change the way you think. If someone tells you that you cannot do something do not give up. Ask yourself how it can be done. I started my business (an ambulance service) with $ 80. Began it by providing advanced first aid at special events and making sound decisions. You can do the same--if you are willing to sacrifice.

I recall when I was in the Army, our section sargent was talking to us about caring for our equipment. People acted as though there was a special warehouse somewhere with brand new stuff that would be issued if we went to war. That is not the case. Take care of what you have. There is no need to buy a special bag or flashlight to have ready to go. Pack a duffle bag with a the flashlight you keep around the house.

If you are spending more $ per month on car repairs than a car payment, that car is no longer an asset. It has become a liablility. Paid for or not, get rid of it and buy something reliable with a warranty.

Live within you means. Do not try to "keep up with the Jones." It will make you go broke. Furthermore, do not sell off or pawn you valuables for a momentary financial need. That will only set you back further.

Build an emergency fund. Start with and immediate goal of $1000.00. Then build it to have at least three months worth of expenses in savings. Pay off debt. Get out of the apartment and buy a house. You are wasting your money with an apartment. You build equity in a home with every mortgage payment. It is a buyers market. If you have a credit rating as low as 600, you can get an FHA loan with a fixed interest rate. stay away, I repeat STAY WAY from the ARM loans (adjustable rate mortgage).

There is a ton of free information on this site and many others. Use it. You can prep on the cheap. Baby-steps. If you do not have any kids, hold off on them until your finances are in order. Kids are expensive. Be fair to them and yourself by being financially responsible so that you CAN provide for them.

Only YOU have the power to change for the better. One last thing--find yourself a mentor. Someone who is where you want to be. LEARN from them. Its YOUR decision.

Best of luck to you.

·
Little Big Man
92 Posts
I'd suggest getting a better job ;). Honestly, I know how it goes, I scrubbed pots in a kitchen for 4 years making 8$ an hour until I went to school and now I make a lot more ;). Find work in some other line, or take some classes, get a certification. You don't need a degree but certification training and such is a great idea.

Other than that, just try to save anywhere you can, and if you are already not eating enough food go find a food pantry or something to help subsidize you while you get more up to speed.

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
When it all boils down, what is the most important is not what you have strapped to your back, but what your mindset is and your knowledge base. The most valuable thing is the ability to recognize when you are in trouble or to notice the subtle changes that bring trouble. Since you live "closer to the starvation line" you will likely othice things earlier than than those who live in a castle. I'm not patronizing you, but the best thing you can do is get knowledge. Dont be a sheep, dont belive the scare tactics of mass media and learn to filter the news you hear, and become a critical thinker. These are the true first steps. You dont need a backpack worth $500, a garbage bag will do in a pinch. You dont need a $200 custom made survival knife-a $5 pocket folder will do.

*tip* since your car requires constant maintenance, you are learning to fix it right? Store your tools in the trunk at all times. Eventually you will learn what tools you need and what you dont. When you change out your serpentine belt, keep the old one. Wipe the old belt down with brake fluid and put it in the trunk. If your good one blows out, you will have a temporary spare.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I know exactly how you feel. Sometimes I think I would be better off not coming to sites like these and watching the news because it just makes me more worried. I think all you can do is learn everything you can about survival, your surroundings, "what-if's", etc and pick up little things here and there -- an extra can or bag of something at the grocery store, extra medical supplies, etc.

There are a lot of good suggestions here, but I know when you are in that hole it isn't as easy as people like to tell you to get out. . .especially in this economic atmosphere. I lost my job (it was eliminated) last December and have still found nothing. I have applied for EVERYTHING. I have applied at local stores (Wal-Mart included) and gas stations. I have even applied to do a paper route, but have gotten very few calls and the interviews I have had have come to nothing. I have never, never had this much trouble finding a job. In my area, there is just nothing available.

My husband was hurt at work in March and is still awaiting back surgery. We went to court last week and found, even if the judge rules for his surgery, after the appeals process, it could still be next November or December before the surgery is even set up -- almost 2 years after his injury!! The tiny amount of money he gets from work comp is $116 too much a month for us to apply for aid (if I wanted to go that route), but it doesn't pay the bills.

I thought about going back to school, but financial aid is based on LAST year's taxes (we were both working) and I would get little to no aid or loans so I can't even afford that. (Without some sort of job I can't even pay my way through.)

Pulling yourself up by your bootstraps is what needs to be done, but it can't always be done as easily as you might wish. Just hang in there and do a little at a time. Having a few preps is better than having none at all.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I'll need to find a mentor like Highlander said. That would be a great idea I've never taught of.

I couldn't cutt off more than this right now. We have no internet, no cable tv, no heating. We only use 2 room for less electricity, I only buy the cheapest food, and I already go pick up food at some organisation thing. About the mechanic, my friend is good at it, I give the job to him, and learn at the same time while is doing it. From where I am, the industry is really bad. They slacked everyone at the factory, including me. I used to work in construction, but they've slacked, I am roofer. There is no jobs, it's been 3 weeks I've been sending resumes everywhere, I can't even get a 8$ job because people are afraid of the economy. I end up eating the food I've saved. I'm scared this scenario is going to repeat itself until the real crash, leaving me with nothing and not a lot of energy when the moment will come. And I'm already going to school at night... but right now things are sketchy up here. I practice myself at hunger, eating a small meal a day, anyway, I don't have much choice. Life is really expensive over here... I think we shall move because there is no futur overhere.

A man got to do what a man got to do.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi there,

Possibly there are options to go back to school for you since you are poor? Have you check at local schools? Of course, I do not know your situation well, but that would be a good start. Also, perhaps there are food banks in the area that could help start a small back up of food for you? Not saying go every week or anything, but since you are never "full" as you say, sounds like you could use some help. What about extra work or overtime where you are? I am sure you have thought of that, but it never hurts to ask. In short, a lot of us, including me, either are where you are now, or will be soon. Do not despair. Hope is paramount. And education is vital. As others have said, your attitude and mindset count for a lot. Keep the faith. And visit here a lot for encouragement!

·
Registered
215 Posts
You will eat what you have saved.

I started my "armageddon" stash for the break down of society. Little did I know armageddon would come when my husband and I were both unemployed. I still add to it a little at a time.

You just need to know you are doing everything you can right now (things may change in the future and you can do them differently then) and what will be, will be. Prep at the level you can, learn what you can. If you do that, when TSHTF you will know you can deal with what comes regardless of the size of your "stash". Worrying too much about it will only give you an ulcer, which you don't need. :)

·
The Hammer & Anvil
3,559 Posts
I've been in somewhat of the same boat, having spent 5 days in the icu and wiped out my 401k to cover it and other expenses I am living pay check to paycheck with my wife and my own income. A friend of mine rekindled the be prepared mantra for me and it has been a long road especially knowing that things can get much worse than they are now.

My wife and I lost it all, but got lucky and are back on our feet now, we are living as minimally as we can minus internet, no cable, no nothing. We are paying back with all of our extra income everything we defaulted on while I was out of work for 2 months after getting sick and then getting better.

I am faced with 50 or so every other week Some Times that I can do something with instead of buying other things. As such Ive managed to assemble a edc, bob and some small food stores.

One thing I did before I had any money to spend was learn as much as I can. Knowledge is generally free relatively speaking, the other thing I did was come up with a plan. Once you do that start looking around at what you already have you would be amazed at how much survival items you already own.

Outside that its a hard road having taken the red pill, no matter what you do now the blue pill will never work for you. Double edged sword, but knowing what could and can happen and at least having the right attitude and a plan puts you ahead of 95% of the curve.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
I guess I'll need to find a mentor like Highlander said. That would be a great idea I've never taught of.

I couldn't cutt off more than this right now. We have no internet, no cable tv, no heating. We only use 2 room for less electricity, I only buy the cheapest food, and I already go pick up food at some organisation thing. About the mechanic, my friend is good at it, I give the job to him, and learn at the same time while is doing it. From where I am, the industry is really bad. They slacked everyone at the factory, including me. I used to work in construction, but they've slacked, I am roofer. There is no jobs, it's been 3 weeks I've been sending resumes everywhere, I can't even get a 8$ job because people are afraid of the economy. I end up eating the food I've saved. I'm scared this scenario is going to repeat itself until the real crash, leaving me with nothing and not a lot of energy when the moment will come. And I'm already going to school at night... but right now things are sketchy up here. I practice myself at hunger, eating a small meal a day, anyway, I don't have much choice. Life is really expensive over here... I think we shall move because there is no futur overhere.

afterthought--two things. 1) if you have any pride, check it at the door. You what you need to to make the ends meet. Keep your ethics, values and morals. Just loose the pride.

2) Pay yourself first! Every time you get paid, take 5-15% of your check and put it away. Work it like you do the rent, bills and all else. You bust your bust for your money. So pay yourself first.

As a roofer, you have what you need in your head already. Sell YOURSELF! Spend the $10 it takes to get a "Doing Business As (DBA)" certificate from your county records building. Sell yourself as an independent contractor to local roofing companies, home builders etc. Learn about the bidding process and find wholesale suppliers. You know the tools needed and the process. You can check your local trade shows for Home and Garden shows, Builders shows and such to get initial advertising. For less than $ 100.00 you can get magnetic signs on your car advertising your services as well as business cards. If you have to, move to an area that is not as hard hit. You can also get work at Home Depot or Lowes since you have knowledge of what is needed. Diversfy yourself too. Learn framing or trim or flooring. Become a handyman. Find a niche--patch the roof instead of replacing it etc.

You will serve yourself well and be surprised at the results--if you are willing to make that bold first step.

There are two ways make a bunch of money. Sales and self employment. Jsut be careful on the self employment--turn it into a business system that can be duplicated so that you do not end up owning your own job. I strongly recommend that you find yourself the "Rich Dad Poor Dad" books by Robert Kyosaki. They were an eye opener for me.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I'd suggest getting a better job ;). Honestly, I know how it goes, I scrubbed pots in a kitchen for 4 years making 8$ an hour until I went to school and now I make a lot more ;). Find work in some other line, or take some classes, get a certification. You don't need a degree but certification training and such is a great idea.

Other than that, just try to save anywhere you can, and if you are already not eating enough food go find a food pantry or something to help subsidize you while you get more up to speed.
When I read the post above about getting a new job, it reminded me of a recent conversation with and employee at the airport. My job requires weekly travel and I was talking to a college student that worked at Chili's as a waiter and I asked him if it paid more than working at a Chili's in his neighborhood- it seemed to me that extra time for parking and security added unpaid time to the workday. He said it pays more per hour but he also earns $200 in tips per shift. He said at most restaurants, folks stay for a long time, tying up the table and reducing tips. Because business travelers are always in a hurry, he is able to wait on many more customers so he gets a volume of small tips, not a few huge tips but they add up quickly.
He is paying for college while working this job. I asked him what the best day for tips was in an airport. He said Sunday is best followed by Saturday and Friday. You might want to check that out as a possibility for extra bucks on the weekend.

Reactions: rosajrms

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
sell anything you dont need or use that much anymore. thats what i have done. i had a 97 4x4 truck that was paid for, sold it for $3000 and bought a nice old suburban 4x4 for $1000. sold a trailer i had but never used, traded stuff. it all adds up and its money for preps and gear.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts

What are YOU good at? What is your wife good at? Can one of you start your own business. The economy really stinks and a lot of people are having a hard time finding employment. Can you do handyman work? I know it's getting cold but when it warms, can you do lawns (even 5 lawns at $30 is $150 you didn't have at the beginning of the week - and I'm saying $30/lawn using the low end of the spectrum.) Can you make those black plywood lawn critters (you know...the bears or whatever else is popular where you live) and sell them at the flea market. Can your wife sew? Call the county and find out how much to get a business license. Both my husband and myself do odd jobs (part time) and neither of us have to have a license as we don't work at our home. I work 1 day per month outside of the home just to bring in a hundred bucks...but it's a hundred dollars I didn't have before.

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
its honestly to late to be retraining for some future career. better get creative and figure out how to profit off something people are gonna need soon.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I don't know where you are, but along the Louisiana and Texas Gulf Coast people still have roofs that need repairing. Maybe someone here knows someone you could get in contact with?

In the meantime, I know you say that you are buying inexpensive foods, but I thought I would mention just in case you don't know that if you shop at supermarkets that cater to an ethnic population, you are more likely to find large bags of staples like rice, pinto beans, and lentils. Just be careful about pests.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts