Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I think of the perfect survival round, the first one that comes to mind, is the 22LR.
(But since it can’t be re-loaded, it has to be taken off the list.)

Therefore my second choice, would be the 12gauge:
It is almost as plentiful as the 22, and is the least expensive, for shot guns.
--------------------------------------------------
A lot of people will want to list “two perfect rounds”:
(One for long distance:) & (One for close up:)

I have heard, that an SKS, is a good long distance gun, but I can’t afford one right now, therefore, I will probably never get one.

Right now my long range gun, is a 22 lever action, and my short range guns are a 12gauge pump & my 357.
One more opinion, about the perfect survival round would be, to have a variety of different weapons, so what ever ammunition is available, you will have something to shoot it out of.

What is your “perfect survival round”?

·
*** Forgives, I don't
1,369 Posts
The .22LR is good for game, I have likked deer with it. It's quite, in the woods the sound doesn't carry far. It's accurate and usually the rifles are light weight.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Don't get me wrong...I love the 12 gauge but if I had to think about bugging out, I would have to consider how much weight I would want to carry. Like you said, the 22LR can't be reloaded but you probably wouldn't get the chance to in a bug out situation anyway. I would consider the .223 as a good, all around round. Tough call. Anything is better than nothing.

Reactions: Paulycracker

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
I'd say, like the perfect survival gun, there's no such animal as the perfect round.
12 gauge will get you bird and some game and is good for home defense against unarmoured aggressors, but has no penetration on and limited range.

The .30 family has long range, takes down most North American game, and will blow holes in raiders and gangbangers from a distance but since legal hunting ammo is soft nosed, won't pass through thick cover.

7.62 (and oh, okay 5.66 green tip) have good penetration but cause less damaging wound channels for hunting game or unarmoure opponents.
etc...

I can't see how, from a firearms point of view, one could be comfortable with only one gun and ammo loadout.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi kodie1

You asked.....
“Less than the 20 or 16?”

Yes.

And I have been told, that 12ga. Is cheaper, because more of it is produced.
(More people have 12ga. Shotguns, than 20's or 16's.)

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
I have to agree with Jungle... I don't think there is "one or two" perfect rounds. I wish there were then it would be easy...

You have to throw into the ring also a .357... !

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Nice thing about the 22 LR is you can use it as barter if you have too. I am looking at a box of 100 hollow points from Winchester Super X 1330 FPS rounds. this week I paid $6.50 cents out the door. I could have gotten it cheaper if I had bought a 1000 rounds. Even at 1000 rounds same price I am ony looking at a $65.00. A 500 round brick will be around $37 to $40. this is for the good stuff. Standard old round nose is less expensive. You can afford to stock up on 22lr now.

stick with 12 gauge. it is most common shotgun round most places. Whatever you buy stock up now. It won't be long.

·
Registered
577 Posts
As was stated in earlier post there is no perfect round. I have many guns but try to keep no less than 1000 rounds of the following for WTSHTF:
30-06
7.62 x 39
12 Ga.

·
Informational sponge
108 Posts
12 gauge all the way

The 12 gauge is by far the most versatile of all weapons on the market!

- A good saboted slug will reach out to hunting distances
- Buck shot is exactly that, for larger animals close up (9- .32 caliber rounds at once)
- There are every imaginable variations of small animal / bird shot
- For the intimidated , there are light loads
- They have less than lethal rounds, if need be
- the pumps and doubles are very light to carry
- in a SHTF situation, you can cut the barrel down to a concealable length and maintain the velocities (not legal - but at that point...
- a short barreled, short stocked Rem 870 with buckshot is 1000 times better than ANY handgun

BEST PART - every corner store / Walmart carries it

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
If I could only have one long gun AND it was for a survival situation (hunting and defense) I'd choose the 12ga shotgun hands down... It will take or stop almost anything in North America, albeit at short range. The only compromise is that at distances beyond 100 yds you have a problem... With the right ammo it will take small birds like quail, large birds like geese and turkeys, small mammals like squirrels and rabbits, large mammals like deer and goblins... Again the only thing you give up is range (and perhaps the amount of ammo you can carry with you.)

Allan

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Actually, and don't call me crazy, but I've heard of people reloading 22's before.

You could peen the dent out with a curved rod and hammer I suppose, fill it with mercury fulminate while spinning, and fill with red dot or the like. The bullet can be formed from wheel weights. Granted that's just a guess, but it can be done if you want to. Just not practical. Even if you can't reload, 10 rounds of cheap 22 are less than most cheap centerfire. No real need to reload.

I think the 9mm would be a good 2nd choice. .45ACP a close 3rd. Maybe even a flintlock musket might be good too? Lots of ways to go on the issue.

Interesting thread.

·
Inglourious Basterd
2,966 Posts
I would like to know why buckshot is so much more expensive than gameloads. BS runs like $4.00-$4.50 for a box of 5, while gameloads are usually between $5-$7 for a 25rd box.And I can't find buckshot sold in bulk anywhere,China mart carries rem. 15rd "value" packs of 00buck ,for $10.50 (was $7.50 a few months ago.) .75 cents per shell is pretty damn steep.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I would like to know why buckshot is so much more expensive than gameloads. BS runs like $4.00-$4.50 for a box of 5, while gameloads are usually between $5-$7 for a 25rd box.And I can't find buckshot sold in bulk anywhere,China mart carries rem. 15rd "value" packs of 00buck ,for $10.50 (was $7.50 a few months ago.) .75 cents per shell is pretty damn steep.
It is supply & demand! When you go hunting dove or waterfowl it is nothing to blow through a case of game loads. But how many days have you hunted deer and never fired a shot? So, they don't sell nearly the buckshot that they do game loads and they are not set up to produce as much. Also, the buckshot are a hotter load so there is more material cost. The best way around this is to load your own. If you are going to be shooting a lot of buckshot it would pay to start.

·
I hear the bagpipes
279 Posts
It's a 9mm that turns into a .45 at 10 yards, then into a 22 for the next 20 yards. It then morphs into a 12 ga. for the next 15 yards if you point it up at birds or squirrels, and a 7.63x39 if you point it straight for the next 100 yards. After that, it becomes a .223 for the next 100 yards, and a 50 cal after that. It's readily available for real cheap by the case. Perfect round.l

·
Registered
577 Posts
When I think of the perfect survival round, the first one that comes to mind, is the 22LR.
(But since it can’t be re-loaded, it has to be taken off the list.)

Therefore my second choice, would be the 12gauge:
It is almost as plentiful as the 22, and is the least expensive, for shot guns.
A lot of people will want to list “two perfect rounds”:
(One for long distance:) & (One for close up:)

I have heard, that an SKS, is a good long distance gun, but I can’t afford one right now, therefore, I will probably never get one.

Right now my long range gun, is a 22 lever action, and my short range guns are a 12gauge pump & my 357.
One more opinion, about the perfect survival round would be, to have a variety of different weapons, so what ever ammunition is available, you will have something to shoot it out of.

What is your “perfect survival round”?
I reload a lot of my cartridges but I would not take the .22 off of my list of survival weapons because I can't reload them. When you can buy a box of 500 rounds for $15.00 who in their right mind would even try. I have 4 - 22 rifles and my whole family shots them regularly. It is a great gun to practice with and train your children on and since it has very little recoil it helps them develop confidence. They are great for small game and with ammo so cheap anyone can afford to keep several thousand rounds on hand for WTSHTF.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I guess we would have to think about survival..If we are talking about 1 pack & the woods..I think i might go with the 22mag...you can reach out to 100yds with no problems..It can take game from a bird ,hogs & deer...plus it will work for personel defense...you can carry alot of ammo,with out much weight..you can also use it in your pistol...so you have the same ammo for rifle & pistol....

1 - 20 of 66 Posts