Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My vote for perfect survival food is “popcorn”.

It is a nutritious food, that has a super long shelf life and that is easy to prepare and eat:

It doesn’t require a lot of preparation to cook or clean up, and all you really need is some salt, and it taste great.

And it’s cheap.
--------------------------------------------------
Please respond with:
(1) What’s wrong with popcorn;
(2) What would be your choice for “Perfect survival food”!

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
I like popcorn but it is not a good main food nor is it a good survival food. As totally carbs it will make you hungry nearly all the time from spiking your blood glucose. It has almost no vitamins or minerals.

The perfect survival food? A can of sardines in olive oil. It has essential protein and fat, vitamins, minerals and it controls the appetite. (In spring water would be the second choice and in soybean oil only if there was nothing else to eat. Soybean oil skews your omega 6/9 balance and is lousy for your health.)

Sardines, at $1 a meal or less AND you have a can to use for many other purposes... the top for flashing rescue vehicles, making lures, or glitter objects to keep birds off edible berries. The can can be used as a cup and to cook it, or to catch solar- distilled water.

Now, presuming you're on a desert island -- with no prepared food -- what two foods would provide all the essential oils, vitamins and minerals you need to survive and stay healthy? The answer is:

tomatoes and eggs....

·
Registered
491 Posts
I like popcorn but it is not a good main food nor is it a good survival food. As totally carbs it will make you hungry nearly all the time from spiking your blood glucose. It has almost no vitamins or minerals.

The perfect survival food? A can of sardines in olive oil. It has essential protein and fat, vitamins, minerals and it controls the appetite. (In spring water would be the second choice and in soybean oil only if there was nothing else to eat. Soybean oil skews your omega 6/9 balance and is lousy for your health.)

Sardines, a $1 a meal or less AND you have a can to use for many other purposes.. the top for flashing rescue vehicles, making lures, or glitter objects to keep birds off edible berries. The can can be used as a cup and to cook it, or to catch solar- distilled water.

Now, presuming you're on a desert island -- with no prepared food -- what two foods would healthy and provide all the essential oils, vitamins and minerals you need to survive and stay healthy? The answer is:

tomatoes and eggs....
I didn't know that about soybean oil.How does tuna compare to sardines.I always keep a supply of sardines for myself , but I am the only one who eats them. My wife and kids do like tuna and I was wondering how it stacks up.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Straight Razor

A quick search, tells us about the Nutritional value of corn........

Nutritional Value of Corn
Given below is the amount of nutrients in 100 gm of corn:
* Carbohydrates - 9 gm
* Calcium - 9 mg
* Dietary fiber - 2.7 gm
* Fat - 1.2 gm
* Folate - 46 ?g
* Iron - 0.5 mg
* Magnesium - 37 mg
* Niacin - 1.7 mg
* Phosphorus - 120 mg
* Potassium - 270 mg
* Protein - 3.2 gm
* Sugars - 3.2 gm
* Vitamin A - 10 ?g
* Vitamin B - 15 mg
* Vitamin C - 7 mg
* Energy - 90 kcal (360kJ)
Now, are you saying, that popping corn, causes it to lose these nutrients?

I'm just looking for answers.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
I didn't know that about soybean oil.How does tuna compare to sardines.I always keep a supply of sardines for myself , but I am the only one who eats them. My wife and kids do like tuna and I was wondering how it stacks up.
Tuna is good but it is much higher up the food chain and has far more mercury and other toxic chemicals in it. That is why it is not recommended for pregnant women. Soybean oil skews the omega 6/9 balance, which should be one to one. Long term soybean oil is bad for the heart. Short term survival, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

·
Unlocked and loaded
1,161 Posts
Time to stock up on sardines,

My wife and I both like sardines, another use for the oil is trapping food, lots of edible critters love the smell of fish. Plus the lubrication factor. :thumb: to sardines. Wonder if it would work in my Mosin?

Keep your senses clear and your weapons loaded and ready.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Cannibalism

Hi Straight Razor. A quick search, tells us about the Nutritional value of corn... Now, are you saying, that popping corn, causes it to lose these nutrients? I'm just looking for answers.
No problem. I would be the first to agree that in a survival situation food is food. But if I have a choice of foods popcorn would be among the last I would pick, though I think it tastes great.

In a real survival situation carbs are fairly easy to come by -- leaves -- fats and protein less so. Fats are essential for survival. You can live without carbs but not without fat, and long-term, not without protein especially if you are low on fats. This is why vegetarianism post SHTF is ridiculous, or deadly, you choose the descriptor. This is why cannibalism has a spotty success record.

Cannibalism at sea when everyone has been starving and lost their fat stores will not ward off starvation, just as eating nothing but rabbit -- a lean meat -- will kill you. There is a case on record of exactly that. Cannibalism in which the "victims" died quickly, such as frozen in snow after a plane crash -- the soccer team ordeal* -- is a good idea because the dead did not use up their fat stores and you need fat to survive. Also, fat and protein reduce hunger far longer than carbs for equivalent amounts. If pop corn is your survival food you will be hungry most of the time, not so with sardines.
The only time to avoid protein is when you have no water.

In a non-survival situation corn oil and soybean oil should be occasional parts of the diet. Corn oil is cancer fuel, there is no other way to say it. And soybean oil is almost as bad for the heart as transfats.

Short-term survival eat any and everything. Long term is a different issue. And in a non-survival mode there are many things to avoid, corn oil non-situ and soybean oil among them. Do I eat pop corn? You bet, buy it by the five gallon bucket and keep it in the freezer. But it is like spice, to make life nice, not to be the main course.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uruguayan_Air_Force_Flight_571

·
Registered
401 Posts
I'm a big fan of tuna. Sardines, too.

However, I'm increasingly concerned about the chemcial content in such fatty foods. Read a story today about a woman who became mercury poisoned from eating a can of tuna fish a day over a period of years. Lots of evidence of how the tuna lobby was successful in keeping warnings off the labels b/c of impact on sales, not because they questioned the facts of the contamination.

Don't plan on stocking that much. Still, pisses me off that our food supply has been so polluted, hybridized, and otherwise compromised that eating wild foods could be harmful over the long term.

If there was any reason to throw all the bastards out of D.C., it would be for compromising our air, soil, water, and, ultimately, food supply.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Straight Razor

Thanks for the useful information;

Especially......
“The only time to avoid protein is when you have no water.”
None of us can know, exactly what we will face or what we will have to do without or be low on.
As for my idea about popcorn: it was just as you suggested:

Something to break up the monotony of eating venison.
(And popcorn, doesn’t require any water to cook.)
As for sardines and tuna, I will pass, and instead choose Hormel can chili.
(It’s not as tasty, but at least it doesn’t contain fish heads!)

Still looking for answers and suggestions.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry about that Straight Razor

This just shows how much I know about sardines;

I thought that they normally came, with their heads attached.

·
Registered
29 Posts
the father of all canned processed meat thingy: SPAM
180 cals. per serving
serving size 2oz.
servings per container 6
total fat 16g
cholest. 40mg
sodium 790mg
carbs. 1g
fiber and sugar 0g
protein 7g
no vitamins and 2%iron

comes in a deep can that could be used for cooking or drinking
the lid when pulled off can be used as a knife( for awhile anyway) or a fishing lure or anything else you can think of.

mmmmmmmm.....spam........mmmmmmmm

p.s. about $2 a can now

·
Registered
54 Posts
I keep a PSK and FAK on my dual sport bike at all times, along with other emergency gear - even when just commuting. A couple cans of sardines are always packed along! I came to the 'wee fish' late - my Dad carried them with crackers on his fishing boat. I always ate Vienna sausages when fishing with him. BUT.... I finally tried them, and they are actually pretty good. Very cost effective, if you avoid the imported stuff from Spain - those taste good but are far more spendy. I prefer them in mustard sauce, flavor-wise. The 'Lousianna Hot Sauce' flavor is pretty good too, but will really increase your water intake! I'll have to search out the olive-oil type.
SPAM in the foil pouch is also a good emergency/camping food - but it has 250 calories per pack, 200 of which are from oil. Still, a pack of SPAM with a packet of Ready To Eat Rice makes a pretty good "poor man's MRE" - can be eaten right from the pouches. Gives about 650 calories per meal. High in salt though - I'd keep it to emergency use and the occasional camping trip. They both store a good year if kept cool.
Vienna sausages are okay, especially the BBQ flavor. I also like Beenie-weenies and even potted meat - all found their way onto our fishing boat. Seems like they keep forever. :thumb:

·
Registered
8 Posts
The best option would be military MREs. You can find them at most mil surplus stores.

Being a college student, I stock up on instant raman, it's cheap and you just need to add hot water. (Nutritional-wise, however, they're not great. Too much sodium.)

·
High on a mountain top
435 Posts
I think dehydrated beans are a pretty good thing to have around. They keep for years, have a fair bit of protein, carbs and lots of good stuff. Way too low in fat to keep you going for long though.

·
To the Liberty Tree!
1,312 Posts
I have never in my life eaten a sardine. Someone please explain what exactly is in those little cans... I just learned that the heads are not there. Are there bones? Are they just little fillets that you pop in your mouth?

·
Registered
871 Posts
there was an old sardine factory that needed to be torn down well they hired a group of mexicans and let them have all the old canned sardines plus a weekly pay, not too bad of a deal cause they were taken sardines out by the pallets, whole ware house full.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have never in my life eaten a sardine. Someone please explain what exactly is in those little cans... I just learned that the heads are not there. Are there bones? Are they just little fillets that you pop in your mouth?
No heads. Yes, some bones. But, they are soft and edible. Not as "bad" as anchovies imo.

I do worry about mercury contamination. That affects Tuna more than sardines, though.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts