Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Regardless of what store I go to I see the same thing - people with their eyes wide open grabbing food off the shelves. Their eyes are open wide as if trying to take in every detail. The only time I see this is when a hurricane is approaching. But in this case however, the storm has lasted months.

I am concerned also, but I am also planting my crops. Corn, potatoes, and carrots are all coming up. In the next couple of weeks squash, peppers, egg plant, melons..... are all going to be planted. Only thing not planted right now is okra.

On the way home from work I dropped by a dollar store I had yet to visit. Place was cleaned out of canned foods and toilet paper, but they had plenty of soap and other cleaners.

Every store I visit it is the same thing. Every person I talk to tells me the same story. Canned foods cleaned out, dried foods gone, toilet paper gone, cleaners low on supplies... etc, etc, etc.

If we think it is bad now wait until there are tens of thousands of cases in New York. If the government and the people are not able to get a grip on the Coronavirus, we are going to see full blown panic in the coming weeks. I worry we may just be seeing the start.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Agreed, Kev. I think things are going to get worse before they get better. It's really staggering to me how people cannot prep given all the unknowns in life. I understand that not everyone can afford an underground bunker, but if you take bits and pieces at a time, say picking up one thing extra every time you shop, it starts to add up. Personally, I find it the height of irresponsibility if people with children do not do this. If you want to rough it out through a calamity, that's your prerogative, but don't impact your kids by your lack of being prepared.

I have a buddy of mine that always made fun of me for prepping. He's not making fund of me now. He texted me last night asking me what type of AR-15 he might want to consider (I recommended the MP15, btw, as it is cheap, light and reliable). I said to him, "get it now, as they aren't getting cheaper and the supply may drop with panic buying". He responded, "thanks, I'll look into it after I pay a few things off" (he has the money for it btw, just doesn't want to part with it). Totally misses the point.

Anyway, sorry to digress, I agree with you that people are really freaking out. If nothing else, hopefully living through something like this brings about a change of lifestyle and they learn from it. Sadly, many will not.

·
Nunquam Non Paratus
1,526 Posts
Interesting. I have been going out regularly to take a look at what is on the shelves and how people are acting. Sort of an area study if you will. My wife and I went out today to pick up a few things. We went by 3 different stores and the only thing really unavailable was toilet paper and eggs, although we have plenty of both at the house.

There was no one buying huge amounts of canned goods, no feral looks, not the first sign of the social contract breaking down. Folks were polite and passing off their carts to others at Aldi rather than getting their quarter back.

Of course if the goods stop flowing then that could change rapidly.

·
Retired kafir
17,575 Posts
If we think it is bad now wait until there are tens of thousands of cases in New York. If the government and the people are not able to get a grip on the Coronavirus, we are going to see full blown panic in the coming weeks. I worry we may just be seeing the start.
Or thousands of cases everywhere else.

It's crazy what's happened in my state in just one week. Everything is shut down. Salt Lake City is like a ghost town.

If the shelves are empty now, what will it be like when the distribution centers are empty and the re-supply dries up due to layoffs and factory closings? If people are told not to go to work or are afraid to go to work, everything grinds to a halt.

I'm wondering if the government money will do any good if there's nothing to buy.

Whatever preps we have might not be enough. :upsidedown:

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
This has not been my experience at all... I went to both Walmart and Crest (another supermarket chain) this morning. Yes, the shelves are looking skimpy in many aisles and sometimes they are completely bare.

However, the people themselves that I see are unchanged. They are acting completely normal, and they remain polite, considerate, well-mannered and orderly.

Of course, this could change as time passes, but for now it has been my experience.

I think it just comes down to where you live, to be honest.

·
Registered
716 Posts
It can also just be when you go as well. For one there is nothing wrong with the supply side, so people might act differently if it is when they are stocking, just after, and when it is most empty. Also people could be calm and then just one person goes in there and panic buy and set everyone else off. You got that mob mentality going. It could even be the opposite of what you might expect, maybe people panic buy the most when they are restocking the toilet paper because everyone rushes for it and causes secondary panic buying with other stuff.

I actually have no idea, because I have not been going inside those stores and even if I was it would just be anecdotal evidence anyway. Just throwing out some possibilities. It would be interesting if there was actually some social scientist just sitting at the local Wal-Mart and gathering data on it.

·
Basket of deplorables
2,212 Posts
I'm not in charge. I can do whatever I wish but if it's out of line with God's plan for me I will know when I'm wrong for not submitting. I'm not saying I will lie down and become a victim nor am I saying I won't prepare to the best of my ability for my family. I know I'm not in control and am ok with that. I know what awaits me. Anytime I feel overwhelmed Psalm:91 grounds me as I pray it daily. If it comes to that, Psalm:144 will prepare my hands for battle. Until those times, I will continue to help those around me as best I can and even in the midst of great tribulation still do my best to do so. I am at peace.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
I actually have no idea, because I have not been going inside those stores and even if I was it would just be anecdotal evidence anyway. Just throwing out some possibilities. It would be interesting if there was actually some social scientist just sitting at the local Wal-Mart and gathering data on it.

I don't mean to imply that people around here are unconcerned, they most certainly are. That is evident from the snippets of conversation I overhear when I am out there.

However, I am not seeing anything like panic or a tendency to resort to a more base behavior. Obviously, I can't be out there 24/7, but I have been out there multiple times over this past week and it's always the same from what I have seen.

I guess I am feeling a certain sense of civic pride that the people around here have (so far) not forgotten themselves.

·
Nunquam Non Paratus
1,526 Posts
I guess I am feeling a certain sense of civic pride that the people around here have (so far) not forgotten themselves.
Amen. That said, I told my wife she isn't to go shopping without me, and I of course am armed. Our adult son and daughter are home to defend our property when we go out, which isn't often. But if **** starts to go bad locally I would like a bit of a heads up on it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
All Aisles re-arranged

This has not been my experience at all... I went to both Walmart and Crest (another supermarket chain) this morning. Yes, the shelves are looking skimpy in many aisles and sometimes they are completely bare.

However, the people themselves that I see are unchanged. They are acting completely normal, and they remain polite, considerate, well-mannered and orderly.

Of course, this could change as time passes, but for now it has been my experience.

I think it just comes down to where you live, to be honest.
My experience at Costco was much like yours. Everyone was pretty much keeping their distance, but I saw no rudeness or looks of panic on anyone that I recall. What I found was all the aisles had been re-arranged so that there were fewer empty shelves. There was a noticeable emptiness in the paper goods rows, but I fully expected that. At WalMart, what surprised me was that all eggs were gone, all but a few boxes/tubs of margarine were gone, and no milk to buy except skim or 1 %. I was not shopping for those items, but I did notice the lack. It did feel really great to know that I had prepared and felt not a whit of panic. I thank God for allowing me the insight and patience to gather those things to help me and my hubby to live and not go hungry or thirsty during these shortages.:D:

·
Beware of the dog!
1,821 Posts
In Southern Utah where I live, as well as many other areas, many stores have cut their hours, closing at night, or even as early as 6pm, to restock shelves as best they can and to clean the store as best they can. I work at a Home Depot. All HD stores are supposed to close at 6pm. The have not cut employees hours and they are allowing employees to work their normal schedules, so after the doors are locked some employees fill the shelves with any available product and others spray and wash everything and anything. Home Depot even took extra steps to help all employees and ensure we wont be hurt too much financially.

Before work today I stopped at a grocery store for a case of beer, surprisingly that aisle was fully stocked so that shouldn't be a problem. I walked past the bakery and meat counters and they were well stocked. I continued to the meat cooler and was surprised to see a decent amount of store packaged roasts and steaks and pork chops and sausage varieties. Even more surprising they were having a sale and many meat items were about 40%-50% off. I selected two roasts and two trays of pork chops. I could have grabbed more but no need to hoard it. We do have some stuff at home, but with many mouths to feed it made sense to grab a few items while I was there. There were no crowds, everyone was calm and polite, one lady wearing a mask made sure to keep her distance from everyone but she was not panicking or acting nervous, just obviously scared into being overly cautious.

I was in the parking lot when I remembered about toilet paper. I didn't go back inside, but next time I hope I remember.

Reactions: Fastowl

·
Registered
528 Posts
Interesting. I have been going out regularly to take a look at what is on the shelves and how people are acting. Sort of an area study if you will. My wife and I went out today to pick up a few things. We went by 3 different stores and the only thing really unavailable was toilet paper and eggs, although we have plenty of both at the house.

There was no one buying huge amounts of canned goods, no feral looks, not the first sign of the social contract breaking down. Folks were polite and passing off their carts to others at Aldi rather than getting their quarter back.

Of course if the goods stop flowing then that could change rapidly.
I am baffled at how many of you are going out to stores mostly for no good reason, looking at others for some smug sense of superiority, when in fact it is sheer idiocy to go anywhere at this point unless you have a dire need for something.

You shouldn't call yourself a prepper if you don't have the self discipline to actually hunker down and protect yourself, your family and the rest of the community. Obviously this doesn't apply to those who still have to work.

But for the rest of you, Jesus, it's just embarrassing.

·
Premium Member
10,918 Posts
My wife's sister is a religious Cristian zealot.

Panic in her eyes is crazy.

She talks about earthquakes everywhere, panic buying in the stores, hoarding food, plagues of locust in Africa, pandemic corona virus, etc.

LOL, SHE THINKS THE WORLD WILL END SHORTLY

·
Basket of deplorables
2,212 Posts
My wife's sister is a religious Cristian zealot.

Panic in her eyes is crazy.

She talks about earthquakes everywhere, panic buying in the stores, hoarding food, plagues of locust in Africa, pandemic corona virus, etc.

LOL, SHE THINKS THE WORLD WILL END SHORTLY
Forward Psalm:91 to her. If that doesn't stop her you will in short order know you are dealing with something else.

·
Beware of the dog!
1,821 Posts
I am baffled at how many of you are going out to stores mostly for no good reason, looking at others for some smug sense of superiority, when in fact it is sheer idiocy to go anywhere at this point unless you have a dire need for something.

You shouldn't call yourself a prepper if you don't have the self discipline to actually hunker down and protect yourself, your family and the rest of the community. Obviously this doesn't apply to those who still have to work.

But for the rest of you, Jesus, it's just embarrassing.
Being careful during cold and flu season is one thing, believing every word of the media and expecting it to be true when we doubt their spin on most everything else may also be sheer idiocy. Most people outside of restaurants still have to go to work. I had 18 years of going to work despite the "worst flu ever" warnings, SARS, MERS, MRSA, drug resistant TB, Swine flu, and many others and never came down with any of them. I even had a couple close encounters with Anthrax, but still had a job to do. I even ran towards gun fire and did several cursory checks of explosive devices. $#!+ happens in life. My current, retirement type job requires me to show up to work every night or the trucks don't get unloaded and the shelves don't get restocked. There is no more risk of going for groceries or browsing the sporting goods section of the local hardware store than there is for me to be at work.

I am just amazed at how scared many people are because they believe the spin of the news morons.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts