·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OMG there is so much stuff I need.

OMG there is so much I need to do.

OMG there may be very little time.

OMG I can’t afford this.

The OMG feeling can discourage you and interfere with actions you could and can be taking to increase your odds of survival.

Prepping is nothing more than steps you take to increase the odds that you will be able to endure a bad situation with a minimum of damage to your number one asset * You & Yours* and have the means to continue on and rebuild.

As has been said by so many, You already have your most important prep, your mind .

IMHO knowledge of the simpler ways of the past is going to be very important, just a little time every day spent building a couple of information binders is a prep!

Can’t afford to go out and buy that 100 bars of bath soap on your prep list this afternoon?

Fine!

Hop on the net and research making soap, bypass the “new ways of making cottage soap” and search out the OLD FASHIONED way that includes instruction on how to produce wood ash lye etc. ..hit the print button and put it in your binder. OMG you are prepping!! It may not be perfect, but you now have a tiny bit of knowledge and are going to feel a bunch better about that one bar of soap you are able to tuck away each month now that it has become a buffer item and not a “What will I do if there is no more item”. Want to feel even better? Practice the craft… So what if you have to do it in bits and pieces, just making the lye and getting the egg to float that first time would cost you nothing and boost your sense of security. Save available fat for a while, render it down and give soap making a try!

That is just a small example of preps that anyone can begin making with nothing but a little time.

The Bride has to keep reminding me not to get frustrated and as she calls it “OMGish” with the snails pace that we are able to do all the things I feel we must do and to stay focused on all the little things we can do in between the big stuff. Pretty smart old gal...and yes the whole soap thing is her cute & very wise little mind:)

·
Say no to NWO PLEASE!
1,009 Posts
The OMG feeling is a bit depressing.

That being said, when I have an OMG feeling, I like to go look at my propane cylinders or my pantry or my stock of water:)

It all gleams gold when I look at it.

·
Banned
2,077 Posts
OMG, dude SIT DOWWWWWWN, breathe slowly, in through the nose out through the mouth. You can only do what you can do up until the SHTF. Run with what you got. If you haven't learned how to do something by then, then I hope at least you have the info on how to. Take things day by day and don't stress about the little things, get your priorities in order first, then you can start worrying about how to make soap or learn how to delegate responsibilities. Have your children (if you have any) friends, or family learn what you can't right now and only concentrate on what you can do right now. Start with the basics first, once those are completed move on up the ladder on needs and wants. Have fun while doing it also. You here alot of folks preachin how important it is to have ALL your ducks in a row BEFORE TSHTF but really, how do you now exactly what you'll need, well you don't so start with basics that cover most all SHTF situations like your BOB and all the basic contents. Ok now I'm rambling.:)

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
I bought a bunch of books on primitive living skills, and edible plant identification I did this because it's a hobby of mine, more than prepping for a disaster, BUT my hobby conveniently covers many needed survival skills.

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
I have some AK ammo, food, ammo for my pistol, water storage and purification, ect. The simple fact is, when everything goes down, no matter what you already have on hand, you will still feel that "I should have bought an extra case of ammo, ect" . Do what you can, the key is to get groups of people you can work with and be able to improvise. Adaptation and improvisation will be the most important things to have in these situations, I am not saying that you do not need equipment, just relax and get what you can.

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
Those who jump into this with both feet and spend a small fortune seem to end up getting bored and selling off their preps when the end of the world doesnt come right away.

The best prep is knowledge and that is free for the learning. Learn what you can now and start adding to your preps a little every week. Do what you can but do it every week.

Eventually youll be able to see some progress. Keep at it and dont give up.

Many years ago I was like you are now. Today I am nowhere near where i want to be but looking back it is amazing how far I have come.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I have a large shelf full of primitive skills, homesteading skills, bushcraft, ect. I have so many that I have only read a portion of them, but the info is there if I need it to learn how to do just about anything in a less than convenient world.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I know exactly what you mean.

Take the opportunity to evaluate and prioritize as this will help you focus on the next step(s) or any changes in direction you need to make.

I gave up on a plan I had for a place I wanted to go to and it really hit me hard. From that I've moved to skills and knowledge for being totally mobile with an eye for short/medium term shelter and foraging etc. I'm glad I had the crisis and revelation.

cheers

Reactions: PikeFlyerMike

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I know that feeling too. If money is the issue, like between payday's, I do something productive. I'll go outside and plan where I can put a new bed for my garden. I'll go through my seeds and make a list of one's that I need to get. I'll go through my notebook and make a list of the most important things to get next shopping trip.

Prepping is very important to me. But living, really living well right now is just as important. I don't own tomorrow, but I do own today. It's mine, it's here right this minute so I do the best I can to live it.

That's what I remind myself before I start hyperventilating.

·
RIP America 1776-2012
1,953 Posts
PikeFlyerMike said:
The OMG feeling...
I don't care how far along in my preps I am, there's always that feeling that there is just one more thing to do. So relax and just keep plugging along and be secure knowing that you are already ahead of most, because you are aware and already preparing.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The only OMG feeling I got was when I first came to these boards and I was getting my head all paramilitary and survivalist, then the reality that I didn't even keep a weeks worth of groceries on hand set in. After all, worrying about a societal collapse and having BOBs, BOLS, survival ration, etc is great, but the simple things like 'what if I lost my job today?" I've got all of the above, I keep my house MUCH better stocked on everything I could ever need. And better still is the realization I can walk away from all of it and still be okay.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts