Survivalist Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Banned
328 Posts
Where do you get your ammo? I have a #4mk 1* but its just a wall hanger at this point because .303 ammo is too expensive and too hard to find to make it worth it to me.
I make my .303 from 7.62x54R, both are .311". I pull the bullets and use with the powder.. 43 grains gives exceptional accuracy in my No4's if I'm on form.

5 shot group at 110 yards, under 3/4". 3 shots at exactly the same POI

·
Retired Army
5,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I make my .303 from 7.62x54R, both are .311". I pull the bullets and use with the powder.. 43 grains gives exceptional accuracy in my No4's if I'm on form.

Now that's thinking outside the box, or spam can in this case.

·
Retired Army
5,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #44

What ammo is this? I don't know anything about decoding the Russian ammo writing... I do know where I can get my hands on a spam can of what the guy says is 149 gr Bulgarian steel core....

·
Retired Army
5,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I'm just never satisfied... I wanted to be able to use this Lee Enfield battle rifle with my suppressor. The one I don't have yet, but plan on getting one day... So, the barrel went from 18" to 16.5 to make room for a Warcomp. Almost all my guns have Surefire devices because that's the suppressor I plan on getting. I need to get a trust first though. I want it, on there, and I plan to transfer my SBR to it as well. Need to make it easier for my son in the future. Maybe put some other trusted family members on there as well. Still looks pretty traditional if you're not paying close attention, maybe a bit like a SOCOM 16 if you are.

·
Retired Army
5,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Also got me a package in the mail today... my Lee loader, and a bullet puller. Now to get me a tin of some 7.62x54R... Stupid Lee kit doesn't say how much the powder measure holds... Now I need a scale. I was trying to keep my kit small so it could be packed away...

·
Banned
328 Posts
Also got me a package in the mail today... my Lee loader, and a bullet puller. Now to get me a tin of some 7.62x54R... Stupid Lee kit doesn't say how much the powder measure holds... Now I need a scale. I was trying to keep my kit small so it could be packed away...
Initially just load the powder to the bottom of the bullet without crushing the powder, you will not be far out. You will find you have powder to spare. When you find out exactly what load works best cut down a 7.62X 54R case to use as a measure.

Those bullet pullers are next to useless, I use a rubber hammer, it's fast and easy.

·
What hell, pay attention
7,910 Posts
The impact pullers work fine for a couple of rounds, but are a PITA if you're doing a lot.

Collet pullers on the other hand, are easy to use, and work very well, with no damage to the bullets or case.

I know the cases aren't a worry here, but sometimes they are.

Well worth the money if you're doing a lot of this.

·
Banned
328 Posts
The impact pullers work fine for a couple of rounds, but are a PITA if you're doing a lot.

Collet pullers on the other hand, are easy to use, and work very well, with no damage to the bullets or case.

I know the cases aren't a worry here, but sometimes they are.

Well worth the money if you're doing a lot of this.
I have an impact bullet puller and can honestly say I was unable to extract a single bullet with it from this ammo. It will be interesting to see how daddyusmaximus gets on with his bullet puller.

·
What hell, pay attention
7,910 Posts
I have an impact bullet puller and can honestly say I was unable to extract a single bullet with it from this ammo. It will be interesting to see how daddyusmaximus gets on with his bullet puller.
Its probably due to a combination of the crimp and sealer they used on the neck.

That, and sometimes you really have to wail on the thing to get any of them to come out. There have been more than a few times I thought I was going to break the puller I was hammering so hard.

I have both types, and only use the impact puller for those few rounds I need to pull in the course of loading. I actually use it more than the collet puller, simply because I usually only need it for one or two rounds when I do.

A few years back, I needed to pull down a few thousand 357SIG reloads I wanted the components for, and quickly realized the impact puller wasnt going to hack it.

The collet puller is just one of those random things you normally dont buy or use, but once you have it, you realize just how handy they are, and should you need it, youre glad you have it.

If youre going to be doing a lot of what youre doing, I think it would be the tool you want. Would be for me anyway.

·
Retired Army
5,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I'm trying to see how this all works with a small portable set up first before I go spend a **** ton on a big ass press and all the other crap that goes with... The Lee loader was like $35, and the Impact puller was $20... I'll get a couple of packs of X54R off my boy, (he has a Mosin) to play with before I go out and throw down the cash for an entire spam can...

Besides, it would be cool to have a portable reloading set up to take with... just in case.

·
What hell, pay attention
7,910 Posts
This will give you an idea how the collet puller works. The one in the video is the one I have....

I think I paid something like $25 for the tool, and I think additional collets go for around $10.

You say you have a Lee Loader, by that you mean one of the small boxed "hammer" kits?

Or do you have a Lee "press"?

If you want to use the collet puller, youll need a press. A cheap Lee press would work fine too.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts