Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Retired Army
5,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Finished at last. I couldn't get the different woods to match, however. Ended up taking the pieces to a local lady who does staining, and antique restorations. It was worth it. The end result is a Longbranch No4 Mk 1 Scout Rifle. 18" barrel with the fore wood I shortened, and reshaped. The Leupold FX II 2.5x28 Scout Scope sits on a custom mount made by my gunsmith. It has quick release rings. It sits low enough that the peep sight is in the way. Me not being able to see far without magnification anyhow... I removed the 600 yds part. Now I can use the scope without obstruction. Should I need to remove it and use the 300 yd peep as back up, I can just flip it up, and I'm in business. The buttstock is a Boyd's because I wanted the turn down "pistil grip" style as it's much easier on my wrist. I did have to trim the brass butt plate as the Boyd's stock is a bit thinner. I found a WWII dated sling online. Couldn't get very good photos outside. The sun was so bright on the snow, it was playing hell with my phone.

·
Banned
6,384 Posts
Finished at last. I couldn't get the different woods to match, however. Ended up taking the pieces to a local lady who does staining, and antique restorations. It was worth it. The end result is a Longbranch No4 Mk 1 Scout Rifle. 18" barrel with the fore wood I shortened, and reshaped. The Leupold FX II 2.5x28 Scout Scope sits on a custom mount made by my gunsmith. It has quick release rings. It sits low enough that the peep sight is in the way. Me not being able to see far without magnification anyhow... I removed the 600 yds part. Now I can use the scope without obstruction. Should I need to remove it and use the 300 yd peep as back up, I can just flip it up, and I'm in business. The buttstock is a Boyd's because I wanted the turn down "pistil grip" style as it's much easier on my wrist. I did have to trim the brass butt plate as the Boyd's stock is a bit thinner. I found a WWII dated sling online. Couldn't get very good photos outside. The sun was so bright on the snow, it was playing hell with my phone.

She's a beaut.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

·
Museum Piece
312 Posts
I always wanted an Ishapore 2A/2A1, its a SMLE in 308 :)

The scout stuff not so. The M1 Tanker never existed in the military.
A waste of a Garrand

·
Retired Army
5,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I always wanted an Ishapore 2A/2A1, its a SMLE in 308 :)

The scout stuff not so. The M1 Tanker never existed in the military.
A waste of a Garrand
Thanks for telling me what YOU wanted, and what never existed in the military.

That carries a lot of weight with what I decide to do to my own rifles...

·
I LOVE THIS PLACE
365 Posts
That's a great looking rifle. Just looked on SGAmmo and .303 is about the same price as 30-06 and they have a good selection. A leather 1903/ Garand style sling would look good on that beauty.

·
What hell, pay attention
7,910 Posts
Very nice job. :thumb:

Ive always been a sucker for the Scouts, scope or not too.

One of Galco's or Ching's Scout Slings would work very well and all you need do, is make use of that little ring in front of the mag well meant for the action cover.

·
Retired Army
5,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Range day. Only had one brand of ammo to test, PPU 180 gr SPBT. I used some old M16 25 m zero targets. Not a stellar performance, but not too bad. Kinda unsure if I should tinker with the fit of the stock as it hits the barrel. I wasn't shooting very well today. Somehow,I managed to get the same size groups at 50 yds, and at 100... Just under 3".

·
Retired Army
5,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I changed my mind. I think I did pretty good today. I was shooting a shortened WWII rifle, with cheap PPU ammo, at an M16 zero target, that pretty much just looked like a sheet of white paper at distance with that 2.5 power scout scope, and that group was 2.75" from the outside of the holes...

Yeah, I'm happy with that.

Of course I'm gonna try different types of ammo to see if I can better that, but overall, I am not displeased.

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
I like it, well done. I've got one of the Ishapore .308 jungle carbines I wouldn't mind trying to convert into a scout down the road...

ROCK6

·
Registered
233 Posts
Absolutely beautiful finished gun!!! Very, very nice and well executed. Hopefully you’ll get many years of pleasure from it’s use and have a worthy heir who will appreciate it as much as you.

·
operatorchan.org
2,798 Posts
Why would you go with a .303? The majority of military surplus is dried up and there's cheaper cartridges that will perform similarly if not better out of a 18" barrel.

·
Retired Army
5,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Why would you go with a .303? The majority of military surplus is dried up and there's cheaper cartridges that will perform similarly if not better out of a 18" barrel.
This wasn't about what was a "cheaper cartridge". This was about what I wanted. I had a No4 Mk1 long ago, but had sold it. It's the one that got away, and I had always regretted it. I wanted another. That simple.

Also, sometimes there is cool factor (value) in having something that nobody else has... I've seen a lot of scout rifles out there, even ones built on Lee Enfields, but I've not seen any with the full wood that retain their original military look. I didn't do this as a financial investment.

It's nothing more than a "because I wanted to" gun.

·
Retired Army
5,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Absolutely beautiful finished gun!!! Very, very nice and well executed. Hopefully you’ll get many years of pleasure from it’s use and have a worthy heir who will appreciate it as much as you.

My son is a Sheriff deputy who will get my small but interesting collection...
He got his first AR from me, his first (and second) bolt gun from me, his first Mosin, his first 1911...
I got one of his Glocks as my daily... lol.

·
Registered
301 Posts
That is awesome. I am fan of yours for thinking outside the box and doing with YOUR guns as YOU please. Somehow it always ends up as something I would love to own myself.

Let's do an 03' Springfield next huh? That is to say, you do it and I will copy.

Edit: Clue, mine was sporterized before I was born.

·
What hell, pay attention
7,910 Posts
That is a sweet little rifle! Well done! :thumb:

·
Retired Army
5,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
That is awesome. I am fan of yours for thinking outside the box and doing with YOUR guns as YOU please. Somehow it always ends up as something I would love to own myself.

Let's do an 03' Springfield next huh? That is to say, you do it and I will copy.

Edit: Clue, mine was sporterized before I was born.
Nice idea, and I've always wanted one... but don't have money for one at the moment. Saw a real cool Springfield at a gun show last weekend though... A .22 training rifle. Identical to it's big brother in every way. I wanted it bad, but $$$. That one, I would not have changed...

21 - 40 of 54 Posts