Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Not On My Watch
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the next thing coming. There are only a few things to me that are punishable by death. One of them is messing with my little buddy. You come for my Golden Retriever, you and your whole family will learn what the second Amendment means.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/science/1802592/the_carbon_pawprint_of_pets/index.html?source=r_science

he Carbon ‘Pawprint’ Of Pets

Posted on: Tuesday, 22 December 2009, 12:55 CST

According to a new study, the carbon pawprint of man's best friend is more than double that of a gas-guzzling sports vehicle.

But pet owners are angered by the book "Time to Eat the Dog: The Real Guide to Sustainable Living", saying they're being singled out as troublemakers.

The authors of this book, Robert and Brenda Vale from New Zealand, analyzed popular dog food brands and calculated that a medium-size dog eats around 360 pounds of meat a year.

Combine the land required to generate its food and a "medium" sized dog has an annual footprint of roughly 2.07 acres -- around twice the size required by a 4x4 driving 6,200 miles a year, including energy to build the car.

John Barrett at the Stockholm Environment Institute in York, Britain, told AFP, "Owning a dog really is quite an extravagance, mainly because of the carbon footprint of meat."

Barrett calculated eco-prints based on his own data and found the results were essentially the same.

The Vales say other animals aren't much better for the environment.

Cats have an eco-footprint size slightly less than driving a Volkswagen Golf for a year, while two hamsters equates to a plasma television and even the humble goldfish burns energy equivalent to two mobile telephones
But Reha Huttin says believes differently.

"Pets are anti-depressants, they help us cope with stress, they are good for the elderly," Huttin told AFP. The human impact of eliminating pets would be equally devastating, she added.

"Everyone should work out their own environmental impact. I should be allowed to say that I walk instead of using my car and that I don't eat meat, so why shouldn't I be allowed to have a little cat to alleviate my loneliness?" says Huttin.

Sylvie Comont told AFP, "Our animals give us so much that I don't feel like a polluter at all."

Comont has seven cats and two dogs, the environmental equivalent of a small fleet of cars.

"I think the love we have for our animals and what they contribute to our lives outweighs the environmental considerations. I don't want a life without animals," she told AFP.

The impact is just limited to carbon footprints. Over 188 million wildlife animals are being hunted or killed by feline predators. Disease is also being spread through the waterways, making water unsafe to drink.

The feces of a dog is causing high bacteria levels in streams, starving waterways of oxygen and killing aquatic life.

And cat poo can be even more toxic than doggy doo -- owners who flush their litter down the toilet ultimately infect sea otters and other animals with toxoplasma gondii, which causes a killer brain disease.

One solution to lower the negative impacts on the environment is to reduce pets' protein-rich meat intake.

Robert Vale says, "If ***** is scoffing 'Fancy Feast' -- or some other food made from choice cuts of meat -- then the relative impact is likely to be high. If, on the other hand, the cat is fed on fish heads and other leftovers from the fishmonger, the impact will be lower."

Other positive solutions are not walking your dog in wildlife-rich areas and keeping your cat inside at night when it has the urge to prowl for smaller animals.

People are encouraged to think about the environmental impact when getting a companion, just like you would when buying a car.

Get a hen, which offsets its impact by laying edible eggs, or a rabbit, prepared to make the ultimate environmental sacrifice by ending up on the dinner table.

"Rabbits are good, provided you eat them," said Robert Vale.

---

·
Vampire Slayer
6,852 Posts
How many carbon pawprint freaks output equals one medium sized dog output?
I think I can solve this equation.

·
Krazy Kitty
5,007 Posts
Yeah. I read this and it was on Fox news yesterday. LET them TRY to hurt my fur babies. Or take them away from me. Ever see a momma tiger defending her young? This is really getting out of hand with the cow farts and carbon prints and the global warming scam. Pretty soon we'll be eating soylent green. We're already eating monsanto gmo food.

·
Plants don't run!
1,977 Posts
Soylent green is pretty good. I'm trying to figure out what they put in it though....hm...algae?

who the heck flushes cat litter? you guys do that? I have a cat...don't flush her litter. She has the clumpy litter stuff, would clog up the toilet. Cut it out, can't you see you're poisoning otters with horrible cat crap?! :p

I live a pretty good life with this screwy carbon footprint, not because I care, but because I enjoy being self sufficient and sustainable, and I'll keep my doggy. When I hear some of my old buddies talking about living sustainably, it rarely means growing their own food and planting more trees, they usually mean buying new crap with the "it's green!" sticker on it and making someone rich. "Oh, it's sustainable!" blah. I don't think buying new crap is the way to really care about the planet. Maybe it feels good to them that they're doing something, to me they haven't. But who knows...my "primitive" ways are probably destroying something I don't know about and they'll want to tax me for it sometime soon.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Yea, lets just pick on the animals of the world, cows, then dogs and cats. Oh yes, lets not forget that humans can't breath anymore as they exhale way too much Co2.

And while were at it, lets keep cutting down the Amazon rainforest, which at one time was reponsible for producing 20% - 28% of the world's oxygen, while using up an estimated 1/5 of the global fossel fuel emissions (Co2).

So lets focus on ending life and continuing to cut down trees instead of focusing on places like China and India that spew out more Co2 and pollution that the rest of the world combined...

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
Yea, lets just pick on the animals of the world, cows, then dogs and cats. Oh yes, lets not forget that humans can't breath anymore as they exhale way too much Co2.

And while were at it, lets keep cutting down the Amazon rainforest, which at one time was reponsible for producing 20% - 28% of the world's oxygen, while using up an estimated 1/5 of the global fossel fuel emissions (Co2).

So lets focus on ending life and continuing to cut down trees instead of focusing on places like China and India that spew out more Co2 and pollution that the rest of the world combined...
But you choose to simply ignore the amount the US produces and has produced. How puerile.

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
But you choose to simply ignore the amount the US produces and has produced. How puerile.
Nooooooo ..... I refuse to pay and reduce my energy usage when the worlds largest producers are exempt.

and our huge nat gas (clean burning) deposits are locked up by eco-nazis

thought this administration was all about "fairness"

·
Registered
558 Posts
Okay then, lets shut down all coal burning plants, and all companies that produce pollution in the US. And while were at it, lets also make driving a car that produces pollution illegal in the US. And all just so China and India can keep pumping pollution into the Earth's atmosphere, and so that logging industries can keep destroying the Amazon forest. You want a SHTF situation? You got it!

So tell me, do you walk or use a bicycle everywhere you go? Do you use cloth bags when you shop? Do you recycle everything you can? Do you have a compost pile for your biodegradables? Do you use candles for light? Do you have solar panels or a windmill on your home for your electricity? If you have any pets, do you flush their "stuff" down the toilet? When was the last time you planted a tree?

And finally, tell me what YOU have personally done TODAY to reduce YOUR carbon footprint?

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
Okay then, lets shut down all coal burning plants, and all companies that produce pollution in the US. And while were at it, lets also make driving a car that produces pollution illegal in the US. And all just so China and India can keep pumping pollution into the Earth's atmosphere, and so that logging industries can keep destroying the Amazon forest. You want a SHTF situation? You got it!

So tell me, do you walk or use a bicycle everywhere you go? Do you use cloth bags when you shop? Do you recycle everything you can? Do you have a compost pile for your biodegradables? Do you use candles for light? Do you have solar panels or a windmill on your home for your electricity? If you have any pets, do you flush their "stuff" down the toilet? When was the last time you planted a tree?

And finally, tell me what YOU have personally done TODAY to reduce YOUR carbon footprint?
what an absurd collection of rhetoric. bereft of intellect.

·
Back of beyond!
2,575 Posts
I reckon now we're going to have "dog control" as well as smog control!! Bad enough that the EPA wants to tax farmers for "odor emissions".

·
Not On My Watch
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Haaaa....good luck getting an answer. FX does not share personal experiences with the group like the rest of us. He only spouts the s*it that he is told to by the people he works for to troll these boards.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,630 Posts
Why not ignore the CO2 produced by the US and every other country in the world. CO2 is not responsible for climate change.

I have the temperature data. Their climate models are based on incorrect assumptions, so they lied about the data.

The whole point of climate change research was to generate a scientific fig leaf for the progressives in the UN who want to control the US economy.

And the climate gate scandal simple proves to me how long ago the UN scientist found out they were wrong and how far they were willing to go to push their agenda.

·
Back of beyond!
2,575 Posts
You're right, Hick Industries, CO2 is not responsible for global warming. In fact, CO2 is an inert gas, which is essential to life on this planet. Plants must have it, and, plants "exhale" oxygen. Over 15,000 years ago, it was present in our atmosphere in amounts that were 5 times the amounts, proportionately, compared to today. In that era, 15,000 years ago, we had "global warming" at an unprecedented level.
Remember hearing about the Bering Strait, everyone? The sea levels rose higher than they are today-thus shutting off the American continent from Russia.

All this hysteria relating to CO2 and global warming is smoke and mirrors, covering up the real deal---global governance and $$$$$$$$.

Good points, Hick!

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
More liberal claptrap. The lunacy continues.

As for FX, put him/her on ignore like I did. That silly person isn't worth the keystrokes.

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
over reacting to an article like this is just as stupid.

·
Back of beyond!
2,575 Posts
over reacting to an article like this is just as stupid.
I, for one, am NOT over reacting. Folks who choose NOT to react help to cause complacency, thereby ensuring that nothing is done to stop idiotic policy.
Come on John, do you really think that the carbon produced by dog crap, etc., really impacts our planet?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts