Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I just finished reading through the 26 pages of "urban survival" archives. I like the atmosphere here enough to stick around. I have been thinking about survival preparations for a few years now scince i read through www.endtimesreport.com . Its been on my mind, but i have taken little action scince the likelyhood of an actual event has always seemed so far away. Now with my country swirling around the toilet bowl, i am getting a little more proactive.

I do everything sorta "undercover" from my girlfriend cause i think shed think i was a nutjob. I opted to heat my shop with fuel oil instead of natural gas so having 250 gallons of fuel around is perfectly plausible. I have amased some heating and lighting items as i have found deals on them. Lamps, kerosene heaters and a stove. Camping gear like mess kits, tent, firemaking supplies, etc.

My latest thing has been aquiring a few firearms. I have a pair of .22lr rifles that i use regularly in the summer cause i just like to blow up cans and stuff. A 12ga pump shotgun for turkey hunting. And a Gamo air rifle which is amazingly powerful (there not kids toys anymore). As much as i like shooting, i have never fired a handgun, so im registered for a basic pistol class next weekend. Also eyeing up a new WASR10 for $400. Well see if/when the budget can fit one of those things in.

As far as food storage goes, i dont have anything long term. I do my grocery shopping for between 1 and 2 weeks at a time and never let the pantry go dry before stocking back up. So even if i got snowed in with no electricity, i will be able to kick back in a warm house eating 3 hots a day.

My biggest gap in suplies is water storage. I keep 15 gallons in the garage attic with an on demand water heater for cleaning up after working on whatever project i have going. Plus the 40 gallons in the house water heater. Gonna make that tight for a weeks worth for the 3 of us unless the problem is mountains of snow to melt.

Some things im into are hunting, mostly turkey and once in while pheasant or ducks. I live right on lake erie, so fishing is king in my book. Im a machinist and like to tinker with things. If I cant fix it, its really garbage. Im also into backyard metal casting. I only have the equipment to do aluminum and brass right now, but im not investing any real money into that untill i have doveloped some real skill.

Well this got long in a hurry. Glad you guys are here cause i already have a few questions that i diddnt find answeres to in my last couple days of reading here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
great inputs; thanks! You seem to do great! I have been doing some prep-work on the side and compared to some on the board I am in pretty bad shape, but little things here and there will move me in the right direction.

I hear you on the 'hiding it from the girlfriend'. Most people around me would think I am a nutcase, too. Even though that I feed them with information and tell them to get out of the system asap. Leads to the point btw that I hang out with the wrong crowd.:xeye:

Good Luck,
Ben

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hear you on the 'hiding it from the girlfriend'. Most people around me would think I am a nutcase, too. Even though that I feed them with information and tell them to get out of the system asap. Leads to the point btw that I hang out with the wrong crowd.:xeye:

Good Luck,
Ben

I dont even try to preach. I already know that all of my friends would imediately blow me off as a joke and use whatever i tried to say as a joke for the rest of the evening.

And besides, if anything super bad ever hapened, i wouldnt want a whole herd of people showing up at my house looking for dinner.

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
Welcome aboard from Delaware. I hope you find all the answers your looking for here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts