Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The national traffic system is an under utilized resource we hams have access to. The traffic net has been in operation for decades, routinely passing emergency and other health and welfare traffic around the country. These guys are experts at getting the message through in adverse conditions, just what may be needed in a real SHTF situation. Ham radio operators can pass traffic into and receive traffic from the system. You can Google the national traffic system and see a few of the web sites for groups across the country that participate in this service.

How does this affect me you ask....
You can use the network to send short messages to almost anyone in the country, yes, you can send messages to non-hams. Non hams can utilize the system by finding a local ham to get the message into the system. The network uses the resources of ham radio operators all over the country. This system will probably still be passing traffic (messages) when all the other forms of communication are gone, something to keep in mind.

Some advantages of utilizing the traffic system...
The system has been in operation for decades, they practice every month. It is a robust system, most of the operators have back up power and routinely pass emergency traffic in bad conditions after the power is gone. Messages can be passed between almost any two points, to licensed hams and non hams. And, last of all, its free. Let me say that again, ITS FREE!

·
Registered
79 Posts
One of the few things in this world that has value vastly beyond its price to use !

It doesn't depend on government funding as each station is maintained by a ham and is usually ready for use with no notice.

While I was working in Qatar I relayed messages to the family back to the US where they went into the National Traffic System and not one was ever lost or misrouted. Not one in 6 years. Many other countries have a similar system that you can access from anywhere in the world and it will be relayed right along until it enters our traffic system and gets delivered word for word and to the addressee. It is not fast but it is darned reliable, thats for sure and for certain.

Scotty

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm a general class ham and I'd really like to get to know this system. Where is a good place to start? I've got HF covered except for 160m and 60m, and I've got 2m/70cm capabilities as well, if it matters. For modes I can do SSB and sound card digital on HF and FM on VHF/UHF.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts