Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering how low cost .22 ammo is, and the volumes it can be had in(box of 550, etc), everyone on this board likely has 15 or 20 thousand rounds of it on hand.

Also too, most likely everyone has a Ruger MK III and a 10/22(or a few).

I'm totally on the fence about the Marlin Model 60. I've always been indifferent and not partial to anything Marlin makes.

Is it truly a good rifle? Does anyone have anything bad to say about it?

Are there any other must have .22's to have on hand?

2,236 Posts
I have a S&W model 63 which is a J frame 4" revolver in .22 with adjustable sights. For me this is a must have .22
I own a couple 10/22's some older stuff and a Ruger Mark II and some other things.

I'm a little short on ammo though.... only 13,400 rounds of .22

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
How about a Remington 552 speedmaster? Short, long and LR even interchangably. Any good old bolt gun is good to have as well for simplicity and reliability. I'm currently trying to justify the "need" for a .22 pistol. Any wifey persuasion techniques appreciated!

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
the ruger 10/22 is probably the most versital as there are numerous parts accesories and upgrades you can get and install yourself its also robust
i also have a ruger mk1 pistol

·
Registered
571 Posts
No Rugers here. We tried several and never cared for them as much as our model 60's. I know lots of folks who love their 10/22's and thats great, just not our cup of tea. Personally my favorite 22 here is a Mossberg 46b. Wifes favorite is a 60 followed by the Rem 597.

Neither of us shoot 22 pistols as we prefer full power rounds. Last 22 handgun I had was a single six.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Whatever you get make sure it can take a tactical solutions threaded barrel and get a silencer! A must for .22's. Youtube a video of it, they're so silent! Im working on getting the silencer paper work now. Already got the barrel

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
I really like the Ruger Mk II/III, but...to my way of thinking something like the Ruger Single Six convertable makes a lot more sense due to its ability to digest every imaginable 22 rimfire load available that I have found. While it doesnt look as cool, doesnt shoot as fast, it does hold multiple rounds, shoots pretty accurate and is about as robust and reliable as they come. Its also reasonable priced as well. All these advantages add up to one very good game collector for the camp pot in a survival situation.

Just my buck O five.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Another vote for Remington rifles. I have the 522 viper, it was the plastic reciever model before the 597. I does roughly 1/2-3/4" groups at 50 yard with a peep sight. I can easily take squirrels at 70 yards with this rifle.

Very reliable too. Maybe one round stovepipe per 150-200 shooting session. A simple rack of the bolt and it's gone.

I also have some very good shooting Marlin 22's. Both are bolt actions. You won't regret buying them. Iron sights are decent on them too. Triggers leave a bit to be desired. But, they have cleaned up well with a polish and replacing the trigger spring with a pen spring. Triggers can be a bigger issue with lightwieght rifles.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Ha.

Ruger MKII suppressed.
Ruger 10/22 Suppressed
Ruger 77/22 Suppressed (very, very quiet)

Can alos do Browning, S&W, HS and others but the Ruger is king.

·
Registered
7 Posts
When I was a young bloke I used to own an ANSCHÜTZ .22 semi auto it was a beautiful little rifle, It had a Rosewood stock an excellent German made rifle. but I had to hand it in the gun buy back that Australia had back in the 90's, and yes it was deadly quiet with a silencer attached! Just my 2 cents.

Gaven

·
Registered
163 Posts
I got 6 kids, 7 if you count my daughter in law. I made sure all of us have a .22 rifle \Pistol combo were comfortable with. as far as rifles go,my 16 yr old has a 10/22, i have a stevens, and the rest are Marlin model 60s.no problem with any of these guns. as far as pistols go, I have a Hand R 676 22\22mag, and my oldest boy has a single six, 18 yr old daughter has her Grandmas old Ruger bearcat, wife and daughter in law have walther p22's and a couple or Ruger mark 2's floating around

·
Registered
537 Posts
The Marlin model 60 is an excellent .22 rifle,,,it is well made,,inexpensive as compared to many others,,repair or replacement parts are readily available and it shoots accurately in my honest opinion,,,I bought out the entire stock of them from a brand name store that was closing and got a really good deal on them,,5 total,,,I also have Remingtons, Springfields and a Charter Arms AR-7 that makes a fantastic back pack rifle,,,.22s will make a very good close range weapon and can lay down some suppresive fire if enough shooter are available,,all this is just my .02.....SEMPER FI

·
Hubris begets Nemesis
7,750 Posts
I'm a Marlin 60 fan. Have had one for years, shot thousands of rounds through it without any problems. Not ammo fussy.

But my wife LOVES it and I gave it it to her. So I'm gonna get a Ruger 1022.

Both are excellent rifles. You'd be happy with either.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have several .22's that I have acquired over the years, a couple through purchase but most have been given to me from various older family members over the years. The 2 that I did purchase were the Ruger 1022 and the AR7 manufactured by Henry. The 1022 is a nice gun, has lots of accessories, and would probably be my first choice if I was starting from scratch and could only afford 1 .22. The AR7 would not be my first choice, but it is nice in that it is easily concealable and is perfect for sticking into a backpack or some other situation(use your imagination!). I also have a Remington Nylon 77 and I am actually more accurate with that gun than I am with the 1022. The drawback with that gun is that it is no longer in production and it doesn't have all the accessories that the 1022 has. My absolute favorite, though, is a Wnichester 9422 in 22 mag. While that gun may not be considered your typical 'survival' firearm, it is head and toes the best 22 that I have. I have killed a lot of Turkeys and Coyote with the thing and my brother once used it to kill a 120+ lb Rottweiler that was killing our lambs with 1 well-placed shot. The dog didn't make it 10 feet before he dropped dead. While I do not own any Marlin 22's, I have some family members that do and they all seem to be more than happy with them.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,261 Posts
The model 60 is quite accurate and reliable. The micro groove rifling really works well with .22 bullets. It'll probably outshoot a standard barreled 10/22 out of the box. I've always regretted selling mine and will most likely pick up another one.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Silencers are great for shtf, any situation. Your hunting, dont want people to hear. Your sneaking around and maybe need to take out someone. A silencer can be very intimidating when pointed at your face too. I guess it is post pics or it didn't happen. Will post once its set up!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts