Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12
19,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some time I have considered there being 4 proofs of God. I've alluded to them in several posts, one in particular reaching out to atheists. This site, along with Psalm 19, got me thinking about whether the moon offers a 5th proof of God. Consider this excerpt:

The Moon is unique in the solar system in its large relative size compared with the Earth. The Moon appears from the Earth to be the same size as the sun, in perfect artistic symmetry, unlike any known other planet-moon system. Moreover, unlike most planets in the solar system, Earth has only one moon. And the Moon has two more remarkable artistic attributes: (1) it rotates and revolves in a way such that only one side is ever visible to the Earth (due to tidal locking) and (2) its side that faces the Earth is smooth, while the side that remains hidden is jagged. To those on Earth the Moon appears as an artistic disc that goes through phases of varying visibility from Earth.

Atheistic science has proposed a number of naturalistic theories to explain the Origin of the Moon, including a second planet colliding with Earth or even a second moon colliding with the first.[5] None of these atheistic theories of origin is plausible.
These facts always bothered me about the moon. Such unique "coincidences" are accepted and dismissed without giving much thought. King David gave it a lot of thought in Psalm 19. I cannot ignore a Baptist at a chance meeting backpacking told me secularists believe in coincidence, believers believe in Providence. Thoughts?

The heavens proclaim the glory of God.
The skies display his craftsmanship.

Psalm 19:1

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
The Moon and the Sun was given to us for signs among other things. But what I am sure it is not a coincidence it is the fact that the Sun-Moon is a mirror of the Man-Woman model (the Sun shines his light on the Moon, the Moon reflects the glory of the Sun). This is clearly part of the great lesson that is Love between Man and Woman which is a foreshadow of the Love for the Creator.

·
M.R. Ducks
18,006 Posts
All those coincidences are all related and caused by tides. Friction caused by tides on the Moon slowed its rotation in respect to the Earth. It was inevitable that one side of the Moon would eventually continuously face us.

As seen from Earth, the Moon and the Sun are about the same angular size... right now. A few million years ago, the Moon was closer and looked bigger and in a few million years the Moon will be farther and smaller. As discussed, tidal forces slowed the Moon’s rotation and a re still slowing the Earth’s. Due to the “Conservation of Angular Momentum” (I think. 8th grade science was a long time ago :)) when the rotation slows the distance between the Moon and Earth must increase. The Moon and Earth have been getting further apart for billions of years.

We just happen to live in the time with the perfect distance for spectacular solar eclipses. Enjoy them while we can. Our distant descendants will miss out.

·
19,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was inevitable that one side of the Moon would eventually continuously face us.
Amazing. Unique in all existence but to your way of thinking, inevitable. Hmmm.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
From The Privileged Planet:

The relationship between the Earth, Sun and Moon is unique so that we can see and experience a total solar eclipse. No other planet in our solar system experiences this phenomena.

Link

This led to confirmation of Einstein's Theories before we could put satellites in space.

Link

Not only that, but the Earth, Sun and Moon are exactly the right distances at the right time in human history to confirm the theory and make other scientific observations. What are the odds of humans existing at the right time, before the moon orbit moves out far enough that total solar eclipses no longer occur?

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
13,315 Posts
Some of the strongest evidence of our Creator God is the Earth, Sun, and Moon and the relationship.

The Earth is perfect for sustaining life. Oxygen, water, resources, plants, animals, temperature, nutrients, rich soil, dynamic and varied climates and locations, etc. It is the perfect distance from the Sun which provides rays to shine the perfect amount of solar energy for plants and for sustaining life during day and rest at night. The orbit is perfect for a consistent and predictably annual weather pattern for planning, crops, seasons, etc. The Earth is in orbit, thrust away from the sun yet pulled toward the sun in perfect balanced harmony. Too much or too little we'd burn up or freeze. Similar analysis to the moon, which effects the Earth in positive ways, also in a perfect gravitational orbit and speed.

All of it beyond "miracles" but by complex and purposeful design. Our God is an amazing God. I love Him.

·
Registered
32,954 Posts
Some of the strongest evidence of our Creator God is the Earth, Sun, and Moon and the relationship.

The Earth is perfect for sustaining life. Oxygen, water, resources, plants, animals, temperature, nutrients, rich soil, dynamic and varied climates and locations, etc. It is the perfect distance from the Sun which provides rays to shine the perfect amount of solar energy for plants and for sustaining life during day and rest at night. The orbit is perfect for a consistent and predictably annual weather pattern for planning, crops, seasons, etc. The Earth is in orbit, thrust away from the sun yet pulled toward the sun in perfect balanced harmony. Too much or too little we'd burn up or freeze. Similar analysis to the moon, which effects the Earth in positive ways, also in a perfect gravitational orbit and speed.

All of it beyond "miracles" but by complex and purposeful design. Our God is an amazing God. I love Him.
Sounds like a intelligent design :thumb:

The odds of these amazing conditions and for those same condition to remain nearly contant for millons of years (even within 1 single degree) to be just a coincidence requires more faith than I could reasonably believe.

"The heavens declare the glory of God, and the firament shows his handywork" (Psalms 19:1)

·
19,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There seems to be a ubiquitous rebellion among nonbelievers that God’s work was and is inevitable or coincidence but certainly not revealing an Intelligent Designer.

·
Registered
14,865 Posts
For some time I have considered there being 4 proofs of God. I've alluded to them in several posts, one in particular reaching out to atheists. This site, along with Psalm 19, got me thinking about whether the moon offers a 5th proof of God. Consider this excerpt:

The Moon is unique in the solar system in its large relative size compared with the Earth. The Moon appears from the Earth to be the same size as the sun, in perfect artistic symmetry, unlike any known other planet-moon system. Moreover, unlike most planets in the solar system, Earth has only one moon. And the Moon has two more remarkable artistic attributes: (1) it rotates and revolves in a way such that only one side is ever visible to the Earth (due to tidal locking) and (2) its side that faces the Earth is smooth, while the side that remains hidden is jagged. To those on Earth the Moon appears as an artistic disc that goes through phases of varying visibility from Earth.

Atheistic science has proposed a number of naturalistic theories to explain the Origin of the Moon, including a second planet colliding with Earth or even a second moon colliding with the first.[5] None of these atheistic theories of origin is plausible.
These facts always bothered me about the moon. Such unique "coincidences" are accepted and dismissed without giving much thought. King David gave it a lot of thought in Psalm 19. I cannot ignore a Baptist at a chance meeting backpacking told me secularists believe in coincidence, believers believe in Providence. Thoughts?

The heavens proclaim the glory of God.
The skies display his craftsmanship.

Psalm 19:1
You are correct. There are many proven occurrences in God's Creation that are beyond a stistical probability of happening.

This is why I alway encourage young people not to fall into the trap of proving God. If they can prove God they/you have no faith. I expect those not believing in God to prove how everything came to be.

Remember Jesus told us repeatedly to have faith. Faith is belief that cannot be proven. Among ourselves we who have faith use God's word to prove things. But we must first agree to accept God's word as the foundation premise of our discussions. Non-believers accept no such premise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts