Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it was in Boy Scouts I once learned of a technique I believe used by Indians, where you basically made a "monkey's fist" knot around a rock then you can sling the rock around like a slingshot and launch the thing. This used to be very common in the boating world when throwing up lines to tall masts. It's still popular today in the tree maintenance business, although a rock isn't used, it's a storebought weight.

So anyway, I practiced over the years and I'm actually a fairly good shot. So just out of curiosity, has anybody seriously considered doing this as a makeshift weapon if needed?

Are there any other survival situations that this technique could come in handy? I've done it for slinging a rock over a tree branch then hoisting food up so bears and wild pigs can't get it, but that's about it.

·
Christian
39,501 Posts
Good Post. I have seen variations on this concept, I personaly use just a large leather pouch and para cord for a sling, very easy to make and lightweight to carry. I should practice more, it could mean the difference between eating and going hungry for the night in a survival situation.

PS I also carry a collapsable sling shot and some steel shot, I and Im a bit better at using that than the sling.

·
Registered
273 Posts
How Misleading!!!

When I read this thread title I thought people were going to talk about Paulie Zink or even Uncle Bill.

Sheesh!!

Go Player

·
Your jujitsu is no good
177 Posts
I have seen a key chain lanyard that had a stainless steel ball tied to the end of it with a monkey fist. It looked like it would work kinda like a black jak.

·
Registered
538 Posts
ive used a similar method to get at dry dead limbs on several oak trees, much to tall to reach or climb. worked wonderfully, but does definitely take some skill, i highly suggest practicing this, as it is a good way to get dry wood even in the pouring rain, since the tree canopy keeps these limbs rather dry.

at first i thought you were talking about something like this:
http://www.wilsontactical.com/detail.aspx?ID=144

which ive been very interested in. i have and sometimes carry a kubaton as a non lethal SD tool. ive attached a paracord lanyard to it and it can be swung to give a little more reach while still presenting alot of impact force. ive practiced with it and feel confident in its ability as a fight stopper, but i think a monkey fist would be more suited to this type of job. any thoughts?

·
Your jujitsu is no good
177 Posts
I think it would need to be much bigger to be considered a fight stopper (i would take a step back if it were half the size of a cue ball or bigger), but it would should work fine when used as a sneak attack tool like a black jak.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts