Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://freethe****-outofyou.tumblr...istmas-miracle-early-christmas-eve-morning-in

CHRISTMAS MIRACLE!

Early Christmas Eve morning in 2003, two squads US Army Soldiers in Iraq were assigned to sweep and clear two adjacent homes where Iraq terrorists were holed-up.

A Army Sgt. was leading one of those assault squads. The other squad hit their target first.

The Sgt. heard a lot of small arms fire and yelling, so the Sgt thought he would round the corner and size up the situation before advancing his team.

Unfortunately, as the Sgt turned the corner, he found himself staring directly into the barrel of a 9mm automatic pistol.

The Sgt never had time to be scared, he just knew he was dead.

The terrorist pulled the trigger and, miraculously, the Sgt found himself still standing.

The Sgt figured the bullet had missed. He advanced on the Iraqi, who immediately surrendered.

After the enemy was rounded up, the Sgt started to feel light headed and one of his Soldiers insisted that he proceed to the hospital.

The Sgt realized at this time that he had lost his front tooth in the gun fight. He figured the ballistic shock from the weapon’s blast had knocked it loose.

He was wrong!

When he reported to the Army hospital early that morning Major Kimberly Perkins, an oral surgeon, took a panograph and discovered the incredible truth.

The 9mm bullet did NOT miss the Sgt!

The Sgt was hit directly in the face!

The bullet entered just below his nose where it impacted the apex of #8. The energy from the bullet was transferred to the tooth, literally ejecting the tooth from its socket, and stopping the bullet in its track. Other than the missing tooth, the majority of the Sgt injuries were confined to soft tissue.

·
Registered
34,717 Posts
9mm works if the shot placement is correct. .
You sure you read the article sport?

The 9mm bullet did NOT miss the Sgt!

The Sgt was hit directly in the face!

The bullet entered just below his nose
Look up "shooting the ocular cavity'

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flaccid_paralysis_(shooting)

https://www.usacarry.com/shooting-small/

Now let's talk about that .380 with the terrible trigger and sights that can be best described as "hope and a prayer" that y'all have in your pocket. ...

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
14,706 Posts
9mm works if the shot placement is correct. Few pistol rounds will do the job if placement ain't up to snuff.
Seems to me a shot to the mouth is pretty good shot placement!

:rolleyes:

In seriousness, I don't know if the OP story is legit. But if so, I'd simply guess the ammo was poor surplus quality, maybe decades old, crummy powder, stored poorly, and/or a short pistol barrel unable to generate enough power.

Lucky guy!

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
The most likely explanation of the story is 9mm continues to demonstrate bullet failures, and the popularity of 9x19 pocket guns make this worse.
Absolutely. After all, some haji in Iraq, shooting an unknown load out of an unknown gun is an excellent data point for the effectiveness of anything.

I guess the below article demonstrates the failures of .45?

https://civiliandefender.com/2016/04/08/45-acp-to-the-midface/

Handgun rounds (pretty much all of them) suck.

·
Registered
14,214 Posts
With 9mm, a shot into the nose is good shot placement. A shot into the upper jaw, as the Sergeant's wound so aptly demonstrates, isn't all that good a shot. Haji booted his shot, and it was not the Sergeant's day to die. And yes, I did read the statement, and have a comprehension of what a bullet does when it hits bone and meat.

The performance the bullet gave is more typical of my experience of 9x17 than it is of the Parabellum. That said, the Sergeant should have bought a Lotto ticket that morning....

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
No disrespect to the OP, but I don't really believe this story, but if true, bad round and a miracle. I read some of the articles at the url. Paul Harrell demonstrates over and over what hand gun bullets do to his famous "meat" target. Invariably penetrate several layers of meat and smash bone when hit. Different calibers but 9mm is included.

Wouldn't want to be shot by any caliber; however, since bullet placement is king, training is necessary and multiple shots are good idea.

·
Awesome
17,066 Posts
With 9mm, a shot into the nose is good shot placement. A shot into the upper jaw, as the Sergeant's wound so aptly demonstrates, isn't all that good a shot. Haji booted his shot, and it was not the Sergeant's day to die. And yes, I did read the statement, and have a comprehension of what a bullet does when it hits bone and meat.

The performance the bullet gave is more typical of my experience of 9x17 than it is of the Parabellum. That said, the Sergeant should have bought a Lotto ticket that morning....
maybe he fired a .380 out of a 9mm, it happens, especially when one is so inexperienced with guns they notice the 9mm in 9x17 and think its the same

·
Registered
14,214 Posts
Yep. If the extractor hook keeps the primer aligned, 9x17 will fire in a 9x19 chamber. And there will be considerable power loss as the energy is used to deform brass rather than push the bullet.

The proliferation of old and poorly stored ammo in 9x19 is a whole separate issue. Would be most interested if more details surface.

Absolutely. After all, some haji in Iraq, shooting an unknown load out of an unknown gun is an excellent data point for the effectiveness of anything.

I guess the below article demonstrates the failures of .45?

https://civiliandefender.com/2016/04...o-the-midface/

Handgun rounds (pretty much all of them) suck.
Disturbed70, you have a point. So did leadcounsel.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts