Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mohamed Bouazizi - Tunisian Vegetable Vendor (Born: March 29, 1984 – Died: January 4, 2011, aged 26)

President Zine El Abidine Ben Ali had been in power in Tunisia since 1987, winning crooked election after crooked election, all the while supported by the United States and especially France.

All was copacetic for decades—until one morning, December 10, 2010, a 26 year-old vegetable vendor named Mohamed Bouazizi had his cart confiscated by a policewoman in the city of Sidi Bouzid. She insulted him and reportedly spat in his face. When he tried to get redress from the local municipality, he was rebuffed. Out of frustration, humiliation, and likely impulsive foolishness, he doused himself in gasoline and set himself on fire, in protest at the unfairness of it all.

The outrage this triggered in the rest of the Tunisian population is remarkable. Protests started in Sidi Bouzid, then quickly spread throughout the rest of the country, even as the government of President Ben Ali tried very seriously to quell it: Tear gas, riot police, the whole shebang.

But it didn’t work. Ben Ali found himself fleeing the country for his life, and settling in Saudi Arabia with (allegedly) one-and-a-half tons of Tunisia’s gold. Interpol put out an international arrest warrant against him.

The revolution has spread throughout the entire Middle East. Tomorrow, March 11th, is Saudi Arabia’s day of reckoning…

http://gonzalolira.blogspot.com/2011/03/handy-guide-to-revolts-in-middle.html

·
The Hammer & Anvil
3,559 Posts
Sometimes I wonder if I should bother... Just goes to show how good some people have it that they have no clue what it truly is to hit rock bottom, and not necessarily by the fruit of your own labor.

I hope you never find yourself at a dead end in life with a boot on your face with no one to help and no hope of things getting better. (that is what the man who burned himself faced)

·
Sorry About Your Feelings
20,836 Posts

·
Sorry About Your Feelings
20,836 Posts
All was copacetic for decades—until one morning, December 10, 2010, a 26 year-old vegetable vendor named Mohamed Bouazizi had his cart confiscated by a policewoman in the city of Sidi Bouzid. She insulted him and reportedly spat in his face. When he tried to get redress from the local municipality, he was rebuffed. Out of frustration, humiliation, and likely impulsive foolishness, he doused himself in gasoline and set himself on fire, in protest at the unfairness of it all.
What a dense idiot.
"Waaa look at me and how mean everyone is to me!!! I'm going to light myself on fire to show how mad I am!!!"

He should have died to help the gene pool.

Reactions: Jungleboy

·
Registered
15,150 Posts
Sometimes I wonder if I should bother... Just goes to show how good some people have it that they have no clue what it truly is to hit rock bottom, and not necessarily by the fruit of your own labor.

I hope you never find yourself at a dead end in life with a boot on your face with no one to help and no hope of things getting better. (that is what the man who burned himself faced)

Then he gave up.... do you think he is the only person on earth that has ever been in a situation that was literally rock bottom? I have and I fought with everything I had to make it work... and I am still alive, been in bad spots that would make you puke and step back as well, and I still fought to keep going....
Yea, some of us actually do understand what it is like to have the boots on your throat and have it all fall down around you, and literally have every damn thing you held dear snatched away, and not a damn thing you can do about it...

You know what? When it all falls down around you...then you really find what you are made of.... this guy was a friggin loser and a quitter...

and like i said.... Sucks to be him

I am not sorry for him, I do not pity him, nor do I hold a lick of respect for him... I detest cowards and quitters.. and I have never quit on a damn thing when all hell has been handed me.... nope! let this fool rot in hell... and he changed nothing except he did prove that dousing himself in a mixture of Napalm would have been quicker and more efficient...

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
You sir, are highly dangerous.
Look, his country was facing a coup de tat....have enough wits about yourself to make a change, not set yourself on fire. And even if he was dead set (no pun intended) on dying, die for a good cause.

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts

I have never hit "rock bottom," I'll admit. I had one blip in my life where I was 22 and couldn't physically stand up or walk due to a major back injury. No surgery, medicine, procedure, or physical therapy would help. I had been to 6 doctors around the region and all were completely pessimistic about my future. What was a young man to do? I was in extreme pain wherein no oxycodone, etc wouldn't even help at all. Due to the pain, I couldn't sleep. I stayed awake for days and days on end. I had to be drug by my father from my bed to the bathroom and then drug back to the bedroom.

Did I consider ending it? You better bet your sweet tail I did.

Did I? Hell no. Why? Because I had enough of a brain to stop, think about my situation and start thinking outside of the box in order to better my situation. I did. I'm as strong as an ox now and have had no back problems since.

I'm sure there are millions of people with much worse situations than I could even imagine, but to end it and end it in the way this young man did is well, ignorant as hell. God gave us brains, we are supposed to use them. I think there are very few situations in life where we can't buckle down and crawl out of them with just a little bit of perspective and thought.

·
Most Thankful Guy here
38,966 Posts
Setting yourself on fire as a form of protest? Obviously one not thinking clearly, he obviously had nothing to live for after his cart was taken from him. Can't think of a situation that would send me that way - but can think of ways to let the government know what I think of it.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
I don't think Ben is justifying what this person did, only saying he hopes none of us ever find ourselves in a situation we think we can't recover. We keep losing more and more freedoms. There are laws for just about everything. Find yourself knocking heads with government officials who use the police and laws against you and yes, I can see someone flipping out. I don't agree with his method of protest but I can understand his frustration and passion at feeling all he can do now is make a statement of protest so shocking that people listened and some reacted. Coward, no I don't see him that way. I see him as desperate, fed up and yes, foolish. Say what you want to, the fact is what he did struck anger in enough people that the face of the Middle East has changed - hopefully for the better.

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
Mohamed Bouazizi - Tunisian Vegetable Vendor (Born: March 29, 1984 – Died: January 4, 2011, aged 26)

Now THAT's Commitment!!!! :thumb: guess he was more the pig type than the chicken type when it comes to breakfast huh...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts