Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7,276 Posts
Almost a decade ago it was caught being used in cephalasporin, the antibiotic.
i guess I'll quite complain ing about soybean oil. but I'm not concerned about it being in local chinese food. You think they have a recipe, next take a wokful of gutter oil...

·
Registered
720 Posts
Yum.
In my preps, I bought a large can of sardines at WinCo for a very low price. Then I noticed they were from China. I have my doubts now.

Aside from the purity issue, I wonder about the economics of producing in China, shipping it here, then the store selling a large can for less than $3. There are many times I wonder this about various products. I know it's near slave labor levels for low pay, but shipping gotta cost too. Same for the Russian market I like. Some things from Eastern Europe are super cheap here.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Commercially available food is so bad these days, I won't buy anything pre-packaged or pre-cooked from most sources. Forget about restaurants of any type. I usually costs 8X the price of the ingredients for the restaurant to turn a profit. So, unless you are paying $40 for a burger, the one you make at home is going to be better, and about 1/8th the price.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
The comments above about sardines packed in oil from China is a real eye opener! Words cannot express the disgust that I might have eaten this gutter oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
124 Posts
"In our current society everyone tries to swindle everybody else". That kinda says it all about China's ethics or lack of them.

I remember Chinese drywall imported from 2004-2007 was made with toxic chemicals and subsequently rotted copper piping, wiring and caused breathing difficulties for the unfortunate people who had it installed.

Good to avoid rawhides for your dog imported from China as they have been found to contain arsenic.

My family and I occasionally eat Chinese takeout but have gotten away from it. My wife and both cook so we got a wok and have been recreating the takeout dishes at home. The result is better and fresher tasting food made with higher quality ingredients. Almost a "cleaner" tasting food with less oil, additives, maybe msg in the food. The Chinese take out places around here ( Philadelphia) don't turn the heat on in the winter so the employees wear coats while working. They also use the cheapest ingredients (cat or pigeon :ROFLMAO: ). The thought of what oil they use is making me nervous
I don't doubt that they filter the oil. They also literally clogged the municipal sewers in the Chinatown section because of dumping the grease down them instead of a trap ( again being cheap ) The Chinese takeout places in the suburbs are markedly better because the people in those areas and the health inspectors would not tolerate this nonsense.

Thanks for sharing the video as it has given me food for thought .:sneaky:🤮

·
D. Gibbons is a bad man
7,058 Posts
I buy Chinese origin foods but I am very selective and tend to buy from EU based resellers that have testing regimes in place. I had thought the Gutter Oil for human consumption was old news after they introduced the death penalty for food related human harm crimes. That said Palm oil prices are a lot higher so who knows.

·
Dog Lives Matter
8,371 Posts
Not everything produced or processed in China is required to state that on the package.

During Obama's reign, his administration cut a deal with the Chinese to allow US chicken producers to ship chicken to China for processing and then ship it back to the USA. That makes good sense, doesn't it? This was during one of the bird flu outbreaks in China, and at a point where Chinese chicken was considered to be so contaminated with polutants that the Chinese would not eat Chinese chickens.

Chinese Poultry Processors Will Be Allowed To Export Meat To The U.S., USDA Rules

Unlike other meat imported to the U.S., the poultry shipped by Chinese processors will not require point-of-origin labeling. Under USDA rules, the labeling does not apply to foods that have been cooked.
The caveat is that they did not have to label Chinese processed chicken as "processed in China." This also raises the question about whether the Chinese would substitute Chinese chicken for USA chicken and ship us their contaminated poultry. But, of course we know we can trust the Chinese. And it's easy to tell the difference between Chinese and USA chickens. Right? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Does anyone know what other products from china are sold here in the states, besides sardines ect.
Lets name them so we can avoid them....
I generally avoid food items made in China and most of the packaged foods made in the US.
Not everything produced or processed in China is required to state that on the package.

During Obama's reign, his administration cut a deal with the Chinese to allow US chicken producers to ship chicken to China for processing and then ship it back to the USA. That makes good sense, doesn't it? This was during one of the bird flu outbreaks in China, and at a point where Chinese chicken was considered to be so contaminated with polutants that the Chinese would not eat Chinese chickens.

Chinese Poultry Processors Will Be Allowed To Export Meat To The U.S., USDA Rules

The caveat is that they did not have to label Chinese processed chicken as "processed in China." This also raises the question about whether the Chinese would substitute Chinese chicken for USA chicken and ship us their contaminated poultry. But, of course we know we can trust the Chinese. And it's easy to tell the difference between Chinese and USA chickens. Right? :rolleyes:
The food origin is completely obfuscated by the FDA. Ground meat is imported from a variety of countries and then aggregated and then packaged. That's why we have periodic outbreaks of food contamination that affects the entire crop. The Chinese actually import their chickens from the US. They have a net deficit in food supply, which is why their domestic food health safety is so poor. Recently, the FDA allowed US chicken producers to sell chickens that died of disease into the food supply chain. I buy all my animal meats from local farmers that I trust. I won't buy any factory farm meat, from any part of the world including the US.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I buy Chinese origin foods but I am very selective and tend to buy from EU based resellers that have testing regimes in place. I had thought the Gutter Oil for human consumption was old news after they introduced the death penalty for food related human harm crimes. That said Palm oil prices are a lot higher so who knows.
The gutter oil problem arises from the street vendors using oil found in grease traps. That said, palm oil isn't much healthier and I actively avoid it.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
"In our current society everyone tries to swindle everybody else". That kinda says it all about China's ethics or lack of them.

I remember Chinese drywall imported from 2004-2007 was made with toxic chemicals and subsequently rotted copper piping, wiring and caused breathing difficulties for the unfortunate people who had it installed.

Good to avoid rawhides for your dog imported from China as they have been found to contain arsenic.

My family and I occasionally eat Chinese takeout but have gotten away from it. My wife and both cook so we got a wok and have been recreating the takeout dishes at home. The result is better and fresher tasting food made with higher quality ingredients. Almost a "cleaner" tasting food with less oil, additives, maybe msg in the food. The Chinese take out places around here ( Philadelphia) don't turn the heat on in the winter so the employees wear coats while working. They also use the cheapest ingredients (cat or pigeon :ROFLMAO: ). The thought of what oil they use is making me nervous
I don't doubt that they filter the oil. They also literally clogged the municipal sewers in the Chinatown section because of dumping the grease down them instead of a trap ( again being cheap ) The Chinese takeout places in the suburbs are markedly better because the people in those areas and the health inspectors would not tolerate this nonsense.

Thanks for sharing the video as it has given me food for thought .:sneaky:🤮
I would extend that to the most commercially available foods from all over the world. Even Norwegian farmed salmon, which used to be the best in the world, is now completely toxic. Instead of pointing fingers at countries that have less than desirable food, as that list would be long, its better to promote the good food sources locally. This will empower and enable them to survive and continue providing good foods.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Look at a book named CAFO - Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation. It chronicles how disgusting, toxic and dangerous mega-agri farms condition are currently. (I've got this book.) CAFO

Look at the pollution caused by Cattle farming and tell me the meat is still good.

These conditions exist for all large animal meat production operations. Abolish all mega-agri farms. We don't need their meat. We will all be healthier for it.

It doesn't matter what country they originate from.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.