Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so i picked up a m1a scout as my main shtf rifle to hold the role as my battle rifle... I figured it would produce mediocre because of the 18in barrel and boy did i underestimate this rifle. I shot iron sights this whole range report.
At first i zeroed it at 100 yards hitting 1 inch to 1.5 inch groups with rear and front bags with hsm 168 grain hpbt it seemed to like this ammo the best. I went on the shoot. my range has steel targets all the way out to 750. and this little rifle shot all the way out to the max range with the clangs to prove it. minus shooter error this rifle was amazing

·
Layman
2,873 Posts
I gots to get me one. I want the full sized one though...

i think it fits all of my needs for a rifle... Hunting, self defense, and target shooting.

if the SHTF .308 would probably be one of the easiest to find because it is a popular hunting round.

why did you go with the scout?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Agree- my no frills scout shoots about an inch out of the box.

If you had to pick one "do it all" rifle you'd be hard picked to find a better one IMO.

·
Registered
56 Posts
an awesome weapon, was eyeing one with a synthetic stock just the other day when I picked up my new ACR.. once i recover from buying that, its M1A time:thumb:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah i am considering scoping it up with that accuracy, but then i loose two of my favorite features the clip slot and the use of the iron sights

·
Remember The Alamo
4,570 Posts
Okay so i picked up a m1a scout as my main shtf rifle to hold the role as my battle rifle... I figured it would produce mediocre because of the 18in barrel and boy did i underestimate this rifle. I shot iron sights this whole range report.
At first i zeroed it at 100 yards hitting 1 inch to 1.5 inch groups with rear and front bags with hsm 168 grain hpbt it seemed to like this ammo the best. I went on the shoot. my range has steel targets all the way out to 750. and this little rifle shot all the way out to the max range with the clangs to prove it. minus shooter error this rifle was amazing
Prefered sniper rifle in Afganistan

·
Registered
274 Posts
Also, great choice of rifles. 44 mag.com sells CMI mags for $27.00 each. Good mags used by our military.

·
Have gun,will travel
4,538 Posts
I have a full size, which I love. But, I have been lusting after a Scout for a very long time! Congrats on the rifle and your getting a "shooter"...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bought a standard full size in 1990, it is all GI (except for the SA cast receiver, of course). Got lucky in that it was a very straight shooter out of the box, has a 1961 H&R chrome lined barrel, which is the barrel preferred for the M21 build. Recently bought a 2007 Scout. I don't see any difference until I get past 500 meters and then not much. The Scout requires a smidge more hold over, with both rifles zeroed to 300 meters. Liked the barrel mounted rail enough to put one on the standard and both sport Vortex Sparc red dots. The Sparc has a 2 MOA dot and is "good enough" to about 300 meters.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the one thing I dislike is the flashder/comp its mostly useless though for 220 I can get the smiths kit with 2 muzzle attachments and a front sight base dunno if I can down that much though

·
Registered
14,214 Posts
The shorter the barrel, the less it flexes when it fires (I.E. the more rigid it is), and the less it flexes, the more accuracy you'll get. That's why bench rest rifles have short barrels....

·
Armed Border Collie
5,901 Posts
I've had a M1A standard since 1993 with a synthetic stock and bipod. I get great results from this rifle and I will not give it up for anything. I would love to have the M21 version, but I'm not sure that will ever happen. Enjoy the rifle.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts