Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the girly men who whine about the M1 Garand weighs to much tip toeing through the tulips with?
The M1 Garand weighs in around 10 pounds a little lighter or heavier depending on the wood used in the stock. Mine is right at 10.
The M1A1 weighs in the same as a Garand ounce or to plus minis, the FN-Fal basically the same, my Hk-91 slightly more but not much, the GEW-43 about the same, SAFN-49 in there. The SVT-40 is nearly two pounds lighier. The AR-10 about a pound lighter. A Dragunov suprise same range.
Man up the Garand is not the boat anchor some are hyping. If you are planning to slug it out with a masculine full power military Rifle cartridge the weight of a Garand is not a factor.
Oh! a wood stock AK weighs:rolleyes: Yep! 9.5 pounds empty plus or minius.

·
Liberty or Death
151 Posts
I have an M1 but can't find any M2 ammo that's noncorrosive. I live in MA and the only site online I know of that will ship ammo doesn't have any M2 ammunition. My local range has some good ammo for cheap, but you can only purchase 40 rounds a time and you have to shoot it all there. My M1 is sighted in with that, but will hardly help me out when the SHTF.

Other than that, I love my M1 and would be one of the MBR's in my house if I had the proper ammunition.

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen anyone call a Garand a boat anchor, unless they're a "poodle shooter" carrier. Any of us with full caliber MBRs are used to carrying guns in the same weight range. Even a relatively lightweigh AK runs about 8.5 lbs. Not enough savings to quibble over. Now comparing a Garand to my Kel-Tec SU-15 at less than 5 lbs, there's a noticeable difference, but that's apples and oranges. The SU-16 is a poodle shooter, not a main battle rifle.

·
DILIGENTIA VIS CELERITAS
727 Posts
I have an M1 but can't find any M2 ammo that's noncorrosive. I live in MA and the only site online I know of that will ship ammo doesn't have any M2 ammunition. My local range has some good ammo for cheap, but you can only purchase 40 rounds a time and you have to shoot it all there. My M1 is sighted in with that, but will hardly help me out when the SHTF.

Other than that, I love my M1 and would be one of the MBR's in my house if I had the proper ammunition.
www.odcmp.com

http://www.thecmp.org/ammosales.htm

·
SquiddusMaximus (Retired)
3,059 Posts
The weight for the power of a 30-06, no contest. 30-06 wins.

I wish I had a Garand.
Like this one?

or maybe like this one?

Sorry, couldn't help it..:)

·
In a pile of brass
3,775 Posts
Thats what i always say.

It was 10Lbs, big, and bulky so nothing on earth short of a direct hit to the weapon would stop it from firing.

Hell, my grandpa said he heard of 2 people holding either end and a 3rd stepping on the rifle to get over a wall or fence,.... then firing it.

I love the AR, but it just cant compete in the ruggedness/'bad ass american gun' category.

·
Opinionated old Vet.
187 Posts
I would love to have an M-1 Garand again. That rifle was still in use when I went through Basic Training in 1961. The ones who say it's toooo heavy are Girlie men. It is still one of finest MBR. Don't worry about corrosive ammo just clean it the way the field manuals say to and you should not have any problems.

I'll take the M-1 over any other MBR from WW-2 it is still far Superior to the Enfield or the Mosin. The 30-06 is more powerful and very accurate and ammo is allot easer to get.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Dang dudes! I been practicing with my AUG all week and now you guys are getting my Garand itch going and I have a big match this weekend with a great prize table I plan on plundering. No way I would take it with a Garand. Too much short stuff... but I am tempted to try! Mine is a Tanker in .308!

·
11B20 - Status Inactive
5,036 Posts
Uhm... 8 round enbloc clip - versus magazines... and a picky gas system that doesn't like heavy/hot loads... Ya... sorry but Private Ryan can keep the Garand... I'll stick with my G3 clone :D:

·
11B20 - Status Inactive
5,036 Posts
Forrest,
You must remember that a lot of folks on this forum think a Ruger 10/22 is the ultimate SHTF combat proven cuisinart of guns.
Actually it is combat proven lol

Israel uses a suppressed model for urban close range sniping; it is quiet, effective and low risk of over penetration.

·
You ARE what you IS!
Prepped enough is NEVER good enough!
6,198 Posts
What are the girly men who whine about the M1 Garand weighs to much tip toeing through the tulips with?
The M1 Garand weighs in around 10 pounds a little lighter or heavier depending on the wood used in the stock. Mine is right at 10.
The M1A1 weighs in the same as a Garand ounce or to plus minis, the FN-Fal basically the same, my Hk-91 slightly more but not much, the GEW-43 about the same, SAFN-49 in there. The SVT-40 is nearly two pounds lighier. The AR-10 about a pound lighter. A Dragunov suprise same range.
Man up the Garand is not the boat anchor some are hyping. If you are planning to slug it out with a masculine full power military Rifle cartridge the weight of a Garand is not a factor.
Oh! a wood stock AK weighs:rolleyes: Yep! 9.5 pounds empty plus or minius.
I'd love to have a Garand M1! I'd hate to be the adversary on the receiving end of a Garand and that 30-06 punch it hands out along with the range it can hand it out to!:thumb:

That rifle would be one hell of a defensive tool in a rural area where the defender(s) have the advantage. Someone tresspassing/infiltrating your land would pay dearly!:thumb:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.