Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't about fasting, conditioning, or competition. I'm looking for honesty. What is the longest you have been with out something you value?

1) Sleep- 3-4 days. Drove to Florida from NC and back. Fell asleep driving the Winnebago on the way home. I didn't wreck, thank goodness. I was honestly unsure what was real and what was dream. You'd be both awake and asleep. Mostly asleep.

2) Food- 1-2 weeks. When I was much younger. Now I can't even willingly fast for 1 day.

3) communication- I used to work 3rd shift as a machine operator when I left home. I probably didn't speak to even one person for weeks at a time. It was a tough job that paid well, but lasted 15 hour days. I lived alone, worked alone, and truly felt alone. No girl friend, no friends that would even be awake at the hours I was wake. This like many other experiences is something defining that I would never give up. If ever I felt the bending of sanity, it was true Isolation. Existing unseen.

Aside from physical hardships, comes mental. What if you are to survive alone on top of everything else you faced? Are you ready?

What is you at your darkest hour?

Survival isn't just about having what it takes to survive, but surviving when you lack what it takes to continue.

·
Pedophiles will die soon!
1,184 Posts
1) Sleep- 3-4 days. Drove to Florida from NC and back. Fell asleep driving the Winnebago on the way home. I didn't wreck, thank goodness. I was honestly unsure what was real and what was dream. You'd be both awake and asleep. Mostly asleep.
I remember setting in the hospital with my mother when I was a teenager. She would go to the hospital regularly but the staff were incompetent so I felt like I had to be with her. I felt like I had to stay awake to keep her oxygen in her nose. If I can remember right it was several days without sleep. She was in the hospital for a week and I did sleep three hours one day which I think was on the fourth day. Lack of sleep will affect a person really bad.

2) Food- 1-2 weeks. When I was much younger. Now I can't even willingly fast for 1 day.
Two weeks on a fast for health benefits. I felt great during and after it was over.

3) communication- I used to work 3rd shift as a machine operator when I left home. I probably didn't speak to even one person for weeks at a time. It was a tough job that paid well, but lasted 15 hour days. I lived alone, worked alone, and truly felt alone. No girl friend, no friends that would even be awake at the hours I was wake. This like many other experiences is something defining that I would never give up.
I have gone weeks without specking to another human. I go into a kind of mutative state of mind which helps. I would love to try a year or longer with no human contact. I seems to help me grow as a person.

Aside from physical hardships, comes mental. What if you are to survive alone on top of everything else you faced?
Alone would not bother me in the least.

Are you ready?
As ready as I will ever be.

I saw a man murdered when I was eight years old.

·
Indefatigable
21,109 Posts
Retired trauma nurse, pulled 36 hour+ shifts, sometimes a 3 day weekend the most sleep I might get was a few 1-2 hour naps (on a hosptial bed parked in a back hall or my van in the parking lot) and though I am certain this effected my performance, I did my job. Most days were 12-16 hours and I survived 20 years on about 4 hours a night.
Fasted with no water and food for 4 days. (religous reasons)
I survived 11 days during an ice storm that shut down my city, with no electricity and no water.
Communication breakdown, see #1 nurses usually end up with other nurses, paramedics or LEO no other kinds of people seem to be able to put up with our on call and crazy shift lifestyles. Even some of those not for long, we all have high divorce rates.
You are never as ready as you think you are.
Preparing an newborns mutilated body for the morgue.

Reactions: Crutch

·
Sorry About Your Feelings
20,837 Posts
10 years without my mother because of a criminal conviction she did not earn.
I was 8 years old when she was taken from me. The family I was living with told me lies about her and would not allow me to see her until I turned 18 last February. I had no idea what I was missing, I would have been so much better off had she been in my life.

·
Registered
250 Posts
1 day without sleep-1 day without food. Now that im nice and plump i feel i can go alot longer without food:D: and will be better preparred for a short famine, if it does happen. Im just praying nothing happens where ill have to run:D: Or be seen as food :eek:

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,569 Posts
I've always had sleep problems, even as a kid. Then throw in stress and I can go days without sleep. I went several weeks without sleep after my divorce because of the stress of watching the after effects destroy a circle of friends that had been together since childhood. I ended up in the hospital over that and they still could not diagnose my sleep problem. But I get by.

I've done several week long fasts when I was younger. I'd have a harder time of it now. I guess I'd have to throw water in here. When I was 18, I broke down 35-40 miles into the desert in the summer. I had no water and had to hike out. When I finally managed to make it to a highway, I learned that nobody picks up hitchhikers, no matter how thirsty they are. In fact, many of them go out of their way to harrass them. Like I always say "people suck".

I'm not very people oriented. I do well around them for short periods. But I do much better alone. I can easily get lost in my projects and interests for weeks or even months at a time. I have no idea how long I could go without speaking to someone else. Probably forever. Which is odd, because I enjoy hanging out with folks now and then. But I don't seem to crave it or have a need for it. In fact, I go out of my way to spend time along when I can. A good week is when I've only had to go out once to shop for the nursing home I inherited.

For me the mental stress would come from having to be constantly vigilant in a world gone insanely violent. I often wonder how I'd react to that in the long term.

Another thing that would be crushing mental stress for me would be being stuck around a huge crowd. The worst 3 days of my life were 3 days I spend in NYC. I had planned to be there for several weeks, but I literally could not stand it and came back as soon as my obligation there was fulfilled.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
When I was younger I had a pretty bad bout of insomina. Longest was three days on the third day I passed out for 13 hours.

Communication
About 6 days when I worked a couple of crazy long night shifts in the middle of nowhere. Went to work came home watched tv, passed out, rinse repeat.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
No sleep = 3days
No food = 2 weeks
No people = 8 months
Holy cow, 8 months without talking to anyone?! Did you work on some remote weather station?

For me:

No sleep = About 4 days of stupid computer playing. I just started to drink coffe so the coffein worked very well!

No food: 6-7 days, last year. I had the worst influenza / stomach virus. For the 2 first day I needed help to go to the bathroom. From my bed to the bathroom its 5 meters, I needed a 10 min rest in between. After 1 week without food I didnt really feel hungry strange enough.

No People = I worked night shift a period. Driving newspapers to the pickup locations for the paperboys. I wasnt in the best of shapes when I started the job and it was quite physical hard! So I was rather shatered when I got home. Maby 4 days pr seeing people. I probably been away longer hiking. I like people, its nice to be away but I dont mind having company!

Aside from physical hardships, comes mental. What if you are to survive alone on top of everything else you faced?

The only positive I can see in it is that its less food I need to harvest. My wife inspired me to try pain and draw a bit. Combined with my love for nature, I hope it can releave me of some stress. Unless you are used to be alone, it can be really hard. A good exaple of this is 3 episode series about the scottsman Ed that tries to live some months alone in Yukon. Alone in the Wild I think its called. How he breaks down more and more! If it wasnt for the plane to pick him up, he would probably have shot himself!

Are you ready? Time will show mate! I know Im more prepaered than many others. Thats the only positive.

What is you at your darkest hour? That must probably be if something happend to my family, or loosing my faith in God. Then Im screwed.

For phycology view its worth watching, how be breaks down, combined with his massive fear for something to come hurt him! And this is only fear of bear. What when its gangs running around shooting and pillaging! Ed has firearms aswell. Doesnt seem to help!

·
What Smell?
69 Posts
Holy cow, 8 months without talking to anyone?! Did you work on some remote weather station?

For me:

No sleep = About 4 days of stupid computer playing. I just started to drink coffe so the coffein worked very well!

No food: 6-7 days, last year. I had the worst influenza / stomach virus. For the 2 first day I needed help to go to the bathroom. From my bed to the bathroom its 5 meters, I needed a 10 min rest in between. After 1 week without food I didnt really feel hungry strange enough.

No People = I worked night shift a period. Driving newspapers to the pickup locations for the paperboys. I wasnt in the best of shapes when I started the job and it was quite physical hard! So I was rather shatered when I got home. Maby 4 days pr seeing people. I probably been away longer hiking. I like people, its nice to be away but I dont mind having company!

The only positive I can see in it is that its less food I need to harvest. My wife inspired me to try pain and draw a bit. Combined with my love for nature, I hope it can releave me of some stress. Unless you are used to be alone, it can be really hard. A good exaple of this is 3 episode series about the scottsman Ed that tries to live some months alone in Yukon. Alone in the Wilderness I think its called. How he breaks down more and more! If it wasnt for the plane to pick him up, he would probably have shot himself!

Are you ready? Time will show mate! I know Im more prepaered than many others. Thats the only positive.

What is you at your darkest hour? That must probably be if something happend to my family, or loosing my faith in God. Then Im screwed.
Stayed in a friends cabin for a winter in Alaska.

·
Prepared Firebird
3,842 Posts
This isn't about fasting, conditioning, or competition. I'm looking for honesty. What is the longest you have been with out something you value?

1) Sleep- 3-4 days. Drove to Florida from NC and back. Fell asleep driving the Winnebago on the way home. I didn't wreck, thank goodness. I was honestly unsure what was real and what was dream. You'd be both awake and asleep. Mostly asleep

I never sleep well, any more. 2, 3, or 4 hours, max. Cannot sleep much at night, at all. So, when I get tired, I nap during the daytime. (And, yes, I did retire early. So, I'm not sleeping on company time.)

I honestly don't know. I was caught up in an urban riot. Raiders showed up and took all our food and valuables. After that, the days just kind of ran together in a blur. Eventually, the nightmare did end.

3) communication- I used to work 3rd shift as a machine operator when I left home. I probably didn't speak to even one person for weeks at a time. It was a tough job that paid well, but lasted 15 hour days. I lived alone, worked alone, and truly felt alone. No girl friend, no friends that would even be awake at the hours I was wake. This like many other experiences is something defining that I would never give up. If ever I felt the bending of sanity, it was true Isolation. Existing unseen.

I homesteaded, alone, for ten years. Grew very accustomed to solitude. Didn't then (and still don't) see it as a lack of something.

Aside from physical hardships, comes mental. What if you are to survive alone on top of everything else you faced? Are you ready?

I'm already living alone.....and have been, for some time. It is what it is. I've made the best preparations that I know how to do. There is, however, a difference between being alone and being lonely. You can be lonely, even in a large group of people that you know very well.

I haven't reached it, yet. But, I am 2 years and 177 days into that journey. My daughter died, in a truly horrific way that exceeded any worst nightmare that I had ever had. She took half my heart with her, when she died. My one remaining son is now in a nursing home, paralyzed and blind from several strokes. Hanging on to life by a thread. When he dies, the other half of my heart will go with him. Nothing is worse for a parent than the death of a child. Nothing. Multiply that loss, and it becomes unbearable. Something dies inside the parent, too, that can't be reclaimed.

Survival isn't just about having what it takes to survive, but surviving when you lack what it takes to continue.
Survival is over-rated. It's just what you do to get to the point where you can actually have a meaningful life, again. Survival is not a permanent way of life. Or, at least, it shouldn't be. Life is for those with the courage to live it......not just survive. Sometimes it takes everything you have just to get thru the immediate moment. And the next hour. And the next day. And the next week. Etc.

I've already been thru a lengthy list of natural disasters, personal loss, trauma, accidents, serious injuries, etc. I could make a list....but no one would believe it, anyway. So, there is no point to that. But, there is not much left with a prospect of actually scaring me, any more. Most of the time, even the worst horrors are survivable.

Do I lack what it takes to continue?? Yes. Certainly. I don't have a compelling interest in just surviving. The reasons for continuing are usually centered on much-loved family members. My family is a train wreck. Nothing I can do, about that. And, I go thru every day, with the knowledge that.....if I had not had children.....they would not have died (or been waiting to die) in such terrible ways.

Guilt. The gift that keeps on giving.

·
crustulum latro
7,715 Posts
See answers in red. Those are things I train for.

7 days before I started flaking out. (more on that after this)
10 days

Thats a tough one. The act of buying food, driving to and from work would play into it. As for being totally alone, I tried it for 30 days in my younger years holed up in a BOL. Its not an experience I'd like to repeat, but I know I could do it.

This is a paste from a post of mine elsewhere.
When I was younger and fitter, it was 7 days, but these days that simply hurts to much and I start making what would be fatal mistakes in the early stages to middle of the 6th day should it be a SHTF scenario.

You need a good friend, supporting spouse, or something along those lines to do this. Most folks don't realize it, but they can have what is known as micro sleeps under conditions of extreme mental fatigue. Those micro sleeps can last up to a minute, without the person being aware they ever went to sleep.

That is fatal mistake #1. The condition is similar to blackout. Blacking out in hostile territory can and has gotten people killed. I am sure there are some Vietnam, and other Vets on the board that can attest to that.
That spouse, friend etc is there to monitor you off and on for signs of micro sleeps. Your staying power is only good for the number of hours you can maintain conscience without those micro sleeps.

Lack of focus is fatal mistake #2. Your mind drifts, attention to detail slips, and that detail may be the recognition of a noise, or sight that signals harm coming your way. This post, is actually my last test. It is a struggle to maintain focus. Simple spelling is difficult, much less staying on point. In a few more hours, it will be as bad as if I had drank a 5th of jack daniels.

Memory lapses is fatal mistake #3. Ever forget where you put your car keys? try remembering after staying up 120 hours straight. If you have bugged out, and hear a noise, the mental awareness and memory could be a problem. If you laid your rifle against a tree, or simply dropped your pack for moments respite, then you forget to pick it up when you hear a gunshot nearby, that can get you killed. People forget things all the time on plenty of sleep that get them killed, what more may happen under these conditions?

Lack of cognitive awareness for the physical effects is fatal mistake #4.
Your reaction time will be slowed, your heart rate will be up, (mine is normally 115 over 75, it was at last measurement 139 over 90 at rest) Hand tremors can occur though I don't normally have that problem, my wife does at near the same hour I am at now, (kind of hard to aim a firearm or do any kind of fine detail work when that is happening). You get the idea. If you had elevated BP normally, it can get dangerously high in times of sleep deprivation. Where you can normally hit a moving target, you may not be able to hit the broad side of a barn standing inside with the stall doors closed. Any of which can directly or indirectly cause your demise.

Hallucinations is fatal mistake #5. It happens no matter how sound of mind you may be if you go long enough without sleep. The current record is 264 scientifically verified hours without sleep or microsleeps by Randy Gardner in 1964. Even in day 4 he was recorded as having fits of paranoia and hallucinations. I could never have achieved 264 hours. I simply passed out cold at 184. You need to know at what stage in time that hallucinations will affect you, and what your most likely format is (auditory, visual etc).
taking a shot at an imaginary enemy could get you killed by giving your location away, much less the potential for shooting a friend. The fifth day has historically been my natural threshold for hallucinations which normally come in the form of noises for me. About an hour ago I swore I heard a conversation in Chinese on the back porch. Of course my wife got a laugh out of it, but it is a serious matter. Do not think it can't happen to you, it can and will given a severe enough case of sleep deprivation

There are other things that can be affected, but I'll wait to edit for that after I've had some sleep.

To sum it up, Get someone you trust and test your limits before they test you.

·
crustulum latro
7,715 Posts
You may be surprised on that one. Most people go through life without much of a problem. The most tramatic event they may suffer is being robbed, raped, or otherwise assaulted along with the death of a family member or something else along those lines. Then there are those hard luck cases who S#&& just seems to happen to all the time. It doesn't matter how safe they try to be, or prepared, they are a walking magnet for S.Hitting the fan.
People who have been that magnet are aware of it. It would be those people that would understand and believe.
\
I've already been thru a lengthy list of natural disasters, personal loss, trauma, accidents, serious injuries, etc. I could make a list....but no one would believe it, anyway. So, there is no point to that. But, there is not much left with a prospect of actually scaring me, any more. Most of the time, even the worst horrors are survivable.

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
Sleep would be 24 hours.

Food - Iv got an illness that causes false allergies so before my correct diagnosis (that took 10 years) I had two episodes where I hardly ate anything for months. I lived on a desertspoon of boiled rice daily for at least a month, some days I just had water.

It basically means I can eat anything but then suddenly get an allergic (false) reaction to it, so have to stay off it for a couple of months and then can re-introduce it slowly.

Water - Iv never drank enough water.

Talking - I believe in Spirit Guides so even if I dont speak to anyone, Im usually chatting away to them in my thoughts. Its probably why I like my own company so much.

·
Registered
783 Posts
When I had my second son. He was on a SIDS monitor due to non breathing bouts in hospital when he was born. The monitor was worn 24/7 for 13 months. It would go off at least 15 to 20 times a day. No sleep period was longer than 2 hours in one stretch for me in 13 months. Towards the end when they decided to take him off it I was so "tuned" in to no sleep I could not switch "off". Took me a good couple of months to realise it was ok now.
The worst time in that 13 months was when the power would go out ( and it went out often at the farm in those days and we didn't get a generator until much later) and I would literally have to sit all night watching his chest.
In one instance had to get the ambulance as he was in a coma and I couldn't wake him and none of the paramedics could wake him on the way to the hospital. He came out of it ok at the hospital eventually.
If I drove long distances I would have to drive with him on the seat beside me. He could never be out of my sight when out and about.
And you may ask what hubby was doing during all this.......he was sleeping. Not even the siren on the monitor woke him. He was only home on weekends and did not get a sense of the urgency of it all.
It was a nightmare.
It was a time I will never forget.

My very darkest hour was when my first son died just 4 hours old. But that made it possible to endure the problems with my second son. It wasn't worst. I had already had worst.
Life goes on and all that we do made us into the person we are today...warts and all.......

·
Registered
922 Posts
YouTube - ‪Alone In The Wild S01E01 Part1‬‏

For phycology view its worth watching, how be breaks down, combined with his massive fear for something to come hurt him! And this is only fear of bear. What when its gangs running around shooting and pillaging! Ed has firearms aswell. Doesnt seem to help!
I saw this a couple of years ago.

The guy was hopelessly prepared mentally, he was crying nearly all the time and was unable to catch a thing to eat!

Drove me nuts after a while, just him wandering around crying in the woods.In the end I was hoping a bear would maim him, just to give him something to cry about.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
129 Posts
I can only answer honestly on the sleep thing. It wasn't even the time I was awake. Its what I was doing. Im and ED nurse and I pulled a 18hrs on, 4hrs off then 18hrs on again. It was after a huge snow storm, and between no one being able to get to work, and all the patients, I couldn't leave... I think the thing that sucked so much, was that I didn't know when I was going to leave. A bunch of use were just waiting for other nurses to show up. Looking back, it wasn't a safe situation for anyone. I was so punch drunk, that to this day, can't remember much about the latter half of that time at work

·
Registered
308 Posts
Sleep - about 48 hrs.
Food - about 3 days
Communication - not very long. There is always someone around me so maybe only a day or so.

My darkest hour...
Not really wanting to get into circumstances and the 'why' but I will give my insight ...

I was in a state of being 'over the edge' for about a week. I would have been diagnosed clinically insane had anyone been able to peer into my mind for that period. Were it not for the probability of me never seeing my kids again some really bad things would have happened. There is a saying that the most dangerous man in the world is one with nothing left to lose. Luckily, I had something left to lose.

What I learned from that, from a survival standpoint, is that normal people are capable of some really bad things given the proper circumstances. If you think you aren't, you are wrong.

·
Banned
647 Posts
2 and a half weeks during a rare sleet and ice storm in Kentucky, no power, no heat other than using a small grill and foraged wood, no phone, frozen ice outside was melted for drinking. Luckily had a full tank of gas, worked my way to a gander mountain to get some supplies and found about a dozen state workers who were supposed to come help get the power back on, only to find them inside looking at shotguns and new coffee mugs. I asked if they were coming to help out and they told me yes but they wanted to get some shopping done since the state was paying for it. I laughed it off and of course didnt tell them I was one of the ones in the middle of the frozen nightmare, went outside, got their plates and truck numbers and proceeded to report this information to the company they worked for and when I got power back, reported them to as many state officials as I could via email.

·
Ham Extra Class
3,267 Posts
I've went about 1.5 days without sleep.

I may have went a day at some point in my life without talking to a person because I was sick. I am a real people person, and hate being alone.

I have always ate, unless sick, and I'm thin built.

My recent darkest hour:
While riding Harleys this past May, I had a drunk driver hit my friend that was behind me and kill him instantly. I still have trouble sleeping sometimes since this happened.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts