Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 4 years ago, after I got back from a hiking trip I found two lone star ticks on my leg. Both were attached about 2 inches apart and about 3 - 4 inchs above my ankle. The lone star tick is easy to spot as it has a white spot on its back, as seen in the picture below.

Insect Spider Araneus cavaticus Pest Invertebrate

After removing the ticks - the improper way, both bites developed an infection. I wish I had a good digital camera at the time so I could have take pictures. The bites developed into holes about a 1/4 - 5/16 wide and about 1/4 deep. The wounds simply would not heal, it was as if something was keeping the sores open. Finally after about 3 weeks the wounds started to heal and finally closed up. Even to this day, 4 years later, the site of the bites still itch on occasion.

Last year, the day after another hiking trip I felt something crawling on me - it was a tick. This parasite might have been on my body for a full 24 hours and I did not know it. It show how had gotten into my hair and I felt it crawling down my neck. just imagine my surprise, sitting at my desk, fell something on my neck, scratch it, and its a tick. Well, with the dead parasite in front of me, I looked it up on the internet - it was a lone star tick. now I am going to share what I learned.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/stari/stari_LoneStarConcern.html
The lone star tick does not transmit Lyme disease. Patients bitten by lone star ticks will occasionally develop a circular rash similar to the rash of early Lyme disease. The cause of this rash has not been determined; however, studies have shown that is not caused by Borrelia burgdorferi, the bacterium that causes Lyme disease. The rash may be accompanied by fatigue, headache, fever, and muscle and joint pains. This condition has been named southern tick-associated rash illness (STARI). In the cases of STARI studied to date, the rash and accompanying symptoms have resolved following treatment with oral antibiotics. STARI has not been linked to any arthritic, neurological, or chronic symptoms.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.