Votes: 5 5.6%
  • What is a feed and fertilizer store?

Votes: 3 3.3%
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Do you visit the local feed and fertilizer store enough to be on a first name basis with the people that work there?

I guess this should be posted in the gardening section, but oh well.

Now click one of the options above or post something below.

~~ EDIT ~~

The other day a buddy of mine and his wife were over at my house. We were talking about different things when the topic of stockpiling seeds came up.

Out of that conversation, I want to know what percentage of people here make regular trips to the local feed and fertilizer store.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Hi Kev,

We go to three different feed stores depending where we are shopping. All are several miles away. We also go to Tractor Supply and Orshlens.

·
7,504 Posts
You're a card, Kev, love that third option! No, the local store doesn't see me much, and I make sure only to buy a little there. I know where the ones are in other towns, but sometimes the grandcubs have a difficult day, so I just won't go in at all. I also shop the occasional Tractor Supply.

If anyone asks about my grain purchases, I can honestly say I provide for my father-in-law's deer-feeding habit.

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
The delevery driver knows us and comes over for BBqs ect. But for going in I dont go to often. with the amount we get its better to just have it dropped off.

·
Homesteader
1,222 Posts
I know the local Orschelns manager by first name, and gave his neice a baby goat a couple of years ago, so we are on pretty good terms.. Unfortunately it is about 30 miles to that store. I have a local Coop within a couple of miles, but it is the most uncooperative coop I have ever witnessed.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Almost 90 views of this thread, an only 10 votes?

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
I feel like I'm cheating, because the co-owner of ours is my cross-the-street neighbor, so I'm on a first name basis with him but more because he is my neighbor than because of the feed store.

Found out the other co-owner is a bit of a prepper, btw - though he was too cagey to tell me much. :) Good man.

·
Bread Baker
3,255 Posts
Well, I do visit mine. Matter of fact, earlier this year I discovered that they had "popcorn" and peanuts. Never did plant both. Anyways, I wouldn't say we are on a first name basis. Or any name basis.

·
Indefatigable
21,089 Posts
I go at least once a month, but I have been going to the same store for 25 years. The same manager has been there the whole time, so yes, we know each other.

Reactions: Allamakee County

·
Registered
33,402 Posts
The place I buy horse feed, dog food and seeds don't know me from a man on the moon.

I guess I'm not a big enough customer and it's a large place. I use to deal with a small dealer for different things like that...I knew them pretty well but they went out of business a couple of years ago

·
Bear Magnet
3,800 Posts
I spend a lot of $$ at my local feed stores 'cause they have deer and elk chow, 50 pound bags of trout food, bulk deals on miracle grow(one of my absolute most important post SHTF stockpiles!!!)tools, you name it. I need these guys and yes I'm on a first name basis with them.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
The cheapest horse and chicken feed in my area is at Wal-mart so that's where I usually buy it.
Our walmsrt doesnt carry anything like that. We have a local feed store and a tractor supply. Our local store is less expensive on most if not everything. usually a dollar or two per bag. Seed potatoes and hay is way cheaper... sure a few other items are cheaper as well.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Go to mine a couple of times a month at least. Not only do they have supplies for my Rabbits and gardening needs such as seeds, bone meal. Cattle pannels make for great trellises as well for cucumbers, beans and other vine type veggies. But they also sell syringes which I often use in SW aquariums and various items I can use for my aquarium as well. I even bought a gang of those water troughs since they make great grow out tanks for SW corals which I often sell on the side. It was far cheaper going this route than buying shallow aquariums or haveing custom made tanks built, a lot cheaper.

·
Got to keep on keepin on
1,648 Posts
Yes, and am trusted enough to go get my own stuff from the warehouse area and the trailers. :D:
There's nothing like being in the loop as to what's working/not here as far as seeds & breeds. Yeah, K-mart will sell you any kind of seed you want but "Duane" or "Mary" "knows what grows" in my soil.
Plus they don't tell "everyone" about the damaged bags etc. that may be 50%+ off. Sorry, but I just don't get service like that from the Walmart. :thumb:

·
old hand
7,441 Posts
The feed store is run by the grain terminal co-op I have been a member/patron of for over 25 years.
I know the employees, the managers and the board members.

The fertilizer store (agronomy center) is a subsidiary of the Oil co-op I have been a member/patron of for over 25 years.
Same way ... I know them all.
When my kids were younger and would be in town for any reason, they knew if they needed anything to go to the co-op station.
Someone there would know who they belong to.
I buy a lot of feed. I also buy most of my clothes from Tractor Supply.
I used to wear the brown/blue 'd i c kies' every day ... mix-n-match.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts