Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the SHTF and Wolf is your ammo of choice, be prepared to not survive ! Unless your supply is 2005 or earlier.

This off of Frugal's .

Keep in mind that these problems seem concentrated in 2006 production and later years.

panxerox 1st October 2008 04:03 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Weird wolf 7.62x39 issue

Broke open a 1k order of the polymer coated ones and found 8 with no primers. Is that weird or the norm for these?

shayes13 1st October 2008 04:28 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Were they loaded with powder at all? If so was any left in them?

stansplace 1st October 2008 04:36 PM

Definately weird. I haven't fired thousands and thousands of rounds of these, but I have fired a thousand or so and never had any issues. :confused:

youngbuck 1st October 2008 04:56 PM

I've fired about 3 - 3.5k rounds of Wolf 7.62x39 and I've never seen one without a primer. I've, however, seen a few that didn't fire the first time the primer was struck.

Nautilus 1st October 2008 04:57 PM

That is odd... I've fired literally over 10,000 rounds of wolf 7.62x39. The only failures I've ever had was a buncj rounds from one specific case were duds. But missing primers completely I've never seen.

Tahawus 1st October 2008 05:01 PM

Must be some of the workers were hitting the vodka the day they loaded those rounds.

akrazy 1st October 2008 05:18 PM

about 3 years ago i started finding problems with every box of wolf i opened out of a thousand case i bought and a 500 case i bought. decided to buy gt instead and never had a problem since.sometimes wolf primers are to hard, sometimes to soft, sometimes the go poof and get your rifle all nasty carboned up, sometimes they dont go bang at all, sometimes they are so hot they will drive your fireing pin into your bolt {yugo sks},ect ect ect.before 2006 it was great cheap ammo, as i see even now it still sucks. akrazy

sethwyo 1st October 2008 05:43 PM

This Isnt exactily 'common' As you can go through case after case and not find any real problems, The Most common is failur to fire 1st time with wolf ammo.

No primers, no powder, no bullets, Are what many have found when opening a box of wolf production ammo. Several gun shops i frequent in the south west have stopped carrying it, Several times a person returned with a rifle with a bullet stuck in the chamber because there was no power in the case, Pulling the bullets from the same box reveled several others that had no powder.

Some tell me that what happens is that as the bullets are going through the automated loading machine the powder runs out, and a handfull of bullets in a row dont get any powder, or the bullets run out or get stuck same with the primers, the machine just drops them into the box.

The people who make wolf also make several other 'names' such as 'hotshot' and 'military clasic'
To prevent the powder problem weigh every cartrige, If one is 20grns light you know it aint got no powder.

kernal_panic 1st October 2008 07:54 PM

i used to have great luck with wolf but lately i've had issues with quality control. i had a bad 45 round a few weeks ago. it failed to go off.

PACKIN' PLASTIC 2nd October 2008 04:44 AM

I don't ever recall a bad wolf round but I have only burned a few thousand and mostly in commie calibers.

I would say not common but stuff does happen even with expensive ammo.

I will use pretty much any recently loaded Russian 7.62X39 but if wolf worries you try Golden Tiger or barnaul.

Nothing like the smell of smoke from russian gunpowder:D

PP

·
I hear the bagpipes
279 Posts
Burned a few thousand Wolf 7.62x39 FMJ in the AK. Went bang every time, no issues with any.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I've shot at least 1500 x39 wolf rounds with no problems. Hopefully this is an uncommon occurrence.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Well, all that info is useless without a LOT #.

Why do people post anything about a controlled object like ammo without posting a lot number so people can actually use their information constructively?

Thats like saying "all fords suck because they have defective brakes" when it was 100 cars made on a certain day.

If someone runs across what they feel is truly bad ammo, post a lot number so others who might have part of the same lot can reference it. Please!!! Otherwise, the info is just useless.

As for my experiences with Wolf ammo, I've never EVER had a round of wolf ammo fail to feed or fire. I shoot it in 9mm, 45, 40, 223. 308 and 7.62x39. Not once has a round of wolf failed me in any gun.
Over the past few years I'd guess I've burned 25,000 rounds of Wolf ammo, much of it through machineguns and most of the rest through pistols. Nothing bad to say about it, it ALWAYS goes bang for me, and I cannot say that about any other brand of ammo I've used....et al.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
I couldn't even accurately say how many rounds of Wolf I have fired in numerous calibers including the dreaded .308 and have never had any, not one single issue.
What Thesenator223 said is right as well.
Need lot numbers.
It's filthy dirty but it functions.
I have had Federal ammo with three primers inverted in one box; that got me a new box.
Winchester uncrimped.
Winchester primed case with no powder or bullet.
Crushed UMC and Federal, S&B and Fiocchi.
No primer compound in Eley .22 rf.( actually I have probably had that in all RF ammo I have had any failures with but the Eley was the only ones I pulled the bullets out of)
Split AA shotgun shells.
Undercharged Magtech, PMC and UMC cases as well as Peters shotshells.
If you shoot enough you will get bad ammo once in a while.

I think the opening line in this thread is a bit severe.
One thing you should do before reliance on things is to at least give them a visual inspection before you put them to use.
If you are buying ammo for along term of SHTF storage you should be also buying military ammo cans and transferring your stock out of the crappy cardboard boxes and into the air tight ammo cans.
In so doing having a peek at the ammo to look for any glaring irregularities.

Reactions: Brew

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
The only issue I ever heard of with wolf is the change from wolf to high end brass in the AR and that it is highly underpowered for the .30 carbine, and both of those were box of truth reports.

I had some bad mecican ammo for the .30 that was so bad the bullets hit the ground 15 feet in front of the barrel and the back spray from half burned powder scorched my cheeks under my shooting glasses. Same thing but not as bad with aguila mexican.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
A buddy of mine had an issue with wolf 223 sticking in the chamber of his AR-15. He told me, it was because the lacquer would build up inside the chamber. If you fired hundreds of rounds without using a good cleaner on the chamber, it would build up and cause malfunctions.

The newer wolf ammo does not have this problem.

The monarch ammo that academy sports + outdoors is supposed to be either wolf or golden bear. I have never had a problem with monarch or wolf.

But hey, you get what you pay for. You want cheap ammo, expect cheap results. That is why my hunting ammo is remington, winchester or federal - no wolf.

If you buy the cheapest ammo on the market, I do not see where you have the right to complain when there are some junk rounds mixed in. If you want quality, buy quality.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I called Bushmaster and spoke to one of their tech guys about Wolf ammo. They said to avoid the lacquer coated ammo, but the rest were mine. They said the lacquer would build up and require a lot of cleaning to keep everything working smoothly. I was inquiring about using it in my carbon fiber .223 AR pistol.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Any ammo, no matter what brand will have problems when you are shooting thousands of rounds... I've never personally had a problem with Wolf besides 1 or 2 misfires on a case of 9mm.

·
Banned
653 Posts
Fired 10's of thousands of rounds of Wolf over the years. Never had any major issues, I've had more failures from Winchester white box than with Wolf.

·
Shield Up Sword Drawn
2,960 Posts
I fire wolf and have had no problems. I am stocked up with it also. It is the most inexpensive but it still isn't cheap. To have 1000 rounds for each gun runs into some serious cash outlay. Are you guys actually stocking up on Federals or Remingtons?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Besides the people who have had the rare bad experience with Wolf the majority of dissenters are gun snobs and people who just assume it is junk because it isn't American made.

·
American fearmaker
14,249 Posts
Wolf polymer ammo is okay. I've fired about 5K rounds through my 4 different ARs and have only had problems with 2 rounds. I've had more problems with other ammo than Wolf. I tend to think that some people are either overstating their stories or they have not properly broken in their AR rifles. Once a good rifle is properly broken in, it should handle Wolf polymer without any problems at all.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
AR's are a different story....

It'll work for slow fire, but you run into problems when you do rapid, high volume fire...

Shoot commie ammo in Commie guns.

·
just waitin' for it
680 Posts
never had a problem with it at all. And that's thousands of rounds.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts