Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since .22s were manufactured decades ago, they have became a popular caliber, and good investment. Uses ranging from small game hunting, plinking, and varmint killing, have landed this caliber much respect. I personally love my Winchester Wildcat .22LR, and it has been a very reliable rifle since I received it. A .22 rifle can easily be made into an extremely accurate gun with the addition of a good scope, and a caring owner. Like all calibers and guns, a .22 requires cleaning. But please share your opinions of this famous caliber. Who knows, it may just save your life one day. :cool:

·
7.62x39
239 Posts
One of my favorites to be sure. I started shooting it when I was maybe 7 or 8 (I think?)
It was my best friend on many many early cool fall mornings here in PA and many evenings as well. I started out with my dad's Winchester 22 and then when i was old enough, I got my very own Remington Fieldmaster.
I shot 22 target competitively in my teens and ended up with a nice mossberg target 22 that is more accurate than I could ever be.
Great, versatile caliber that anyone could truly shoot and how many many shooters got their start. Sort of like your first car, you never forget it.

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
My .22 has taken it's fair share of game, from rabbits, possums, turkeys to goats and pigs.
Shot placement and you can bring down almost anything.

An awesome beginner cartridge as well, I have taught a lot of people to shoot with it, accurate enough that they see immediate results.
Cheap enough that they can continue practicing.

Light weight, 500 rounds doesn't weigh all that much.

yep, I love my wee .22LRs,
I've got a Norinco JW-15, talk about a cheap tack driver, the right ammo and it's shooting sub 1 inch at 50 metres, after 100, any deficincies are more likely me.
And a Mirouku lever action, looks like a Henry copy, not the most accurate, but fun for cowboy type shooting.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, people don't realize the .22 is a great caliber. People should also never underestimate the power. It definately has good power to it. I've taken rabbits with a BB gun at 30 yards, so I don't think that a .22 would have much of a problem tearing through Peter Rabbit :)...

·
1,794 Posts
It is certainly one of the greatest things to ever come down the firearms innovation pipeline. Although not generally considered a defense round, I can think of a whole lot of people I would rather mess with than one who was emptying magazines of the little buzzards at me. Unfortunately, there will be a lot of people who will be cowering in a corner for lack of even the diminutive .22 rimfire rifle for self defense that will be preyed upon. It is , arguably, the most versatile of firearms.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
remington model 514, february 1949, my baby, my dads baby, great gun, very accurate, would really recommend picking one up if you get the chance,

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a Savge 22 Boltie with a scope. Great rifle and will hit a target at 100 yards right now. I have never fired it over the 100 yard mark so I don't really know how much more it will hit.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I spent my teen years shooting small bore competition. As I got older, I got into shooting centerfire stuff and got away from .22s. When I had heart bypass surgery a couple of years ago, I couldn’t shoot centerfire stuff for a couple of months, but I could shoot .22s. I rediscovered the virtues of the .22. I started putting a lot of rounds through a number of .22s. I bought several more as well. Now I always take at least one .22 with me when I go to the range and probably put 3 to 5 times more rounds through it than the centerfires.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, they have been and are very well capable at killing deer. I love my .22 rifle, and it'll be passed onto many generations to come.

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
Haha, a mate had this reply to how lethal the .22 is, true or not, I think it's entertaining:
My crak old memory says this: The guy was staying in one of those those 'up-in-the-air hunting lodges that are about 5 or so metres up in the air supported on long posts.

Mr elephant came along and having an itch on his flank he used one of the posts as a rubbing post which resulted in the whole shebang shaking like a leaf.

The guy inside gets annoyed at his sleep being disturbed and decides for fire his revolver loaded with .22LR cartidges to scare the elephant off.

He fires a shot through a gap in the floor-boards and is satisfied when the shaking stopped.

Next morning Mr elephant is discovered lying on the ground with a tiny hole on his back - the bullet had gone between two verterbrae!!!

(Can't recall if it was killed outright or just paralysed by the shot)

·
Pray for our troops
440 Posts
.22's rule..

I've always had at least one .22 firearm around.I've used 'em for hunting,shootin' silhouettes,personal protection and general target practice.I'd trust my life on a Ruger .22 auto...walkin the streets of any town.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts