Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a very good book which deals with both a bird flu pandemic and global cooling. Lots of good stuff and Ringo is usually pretty accurate technically. He has a military background and some pretty interesting hobbies. This is not a 'PC' book by a very wide chalk so liberals will truly hate it. If 'strong' language offends you then you will probably not enjoy this read but that's the way most military personnel talk. The blog style of writing took a little getting used to but it grew on me. Highly recommended.

One caution if you like this and decide to read more of his stuff. I like Ringo's work in general but the Kildar series in particular should be approached with caution if you are the least bit squeamish. On the other hand, the Posleen stuff is as good a shoot 'em up as you'll find.

·
Registered
35 Posts
John has said you can skip the first book of the KILDAR series and start with the second book. I enjoy his books and have turned several others onto him. I tell people to skip the "Ghost" if they are easily offended. Last Centurion is a must read.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The Last Centurion is both tragic and funny as hell, in part because of the writing style. I also heartily recommend it.

Ghost is a bit explicit at times, though the first part of it really ought to be read if you're going to read the other books, besides which it isn't quite as explicit as Ghost parts two and three. Then again, the entire book isn't something an adult shouldn't be able to handle.

There's was some discussion on Baen's Bar (Baen official forum) a while back about Ghost being turned into a (B) movie. The script would be a rewrite of the first part and specifically had the girls dressed, in clubbing kit IIRC. John took part in the thread.

If you're interested about the Ghost (and other) books, the first three anyway, you should check out the unofficial Baen CD and snippet sites. Happy reading!
Read about the battle of Manticore and tremble! :D

Cheers,
ErikM :thumb:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts