Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought id post the knives i've made over the time i've been a member here, some have been inspired by other members,the file knife is one and some by historic charators like Nessmuk.

Attachments

·
ruralist
1,441 Posts
Could you make a good throwing knife? Guess any knife could be thrown but I used to have 3 small ones designed just for it. No good for for the woods, but I bet getting the handle and blade proportions exactly correct for a balanced spin would be tough challenge. I challenge you hence!

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could you make a good throwing knife? Guess any knife could be thrown but I used to have 3 small ones designed just for it. No good for for the woods, but I bet getting the handle and blade proportions exactly correct for a balanced spin would be tough challenge. I challenge you hence!
To long in the tooth to be taken in by a challenge,maybe if you had got me 20 years ago.;)

Ive been ask to make a fillet knife by a friend and then i have another project to work on.

I make knives that are working knives that i can make use of,a throwing knife does not come high on my list.

Maybe when im bored and have time ill give it a go.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Regarding the fillet knife you're going to make.

My fillet knife has a chisel grind (is that the right word?), it's only ground on one side. Apparently this helps the knife lift the flesh from the bones and skin easier. If you look at Japanese kitchen and Sushi knives they also have this style of grind.

Anyway, I know that you know what you're doing, just thought I'd mention it.

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Regarding the fillet knife you're going to make.

My fillet knife has a chisel grind (is that the right word?), it's only ground on one side. Apparently this helps the knife lift the flesh from the bones and skin easier. If you look at Japanese kitchen and Sushi knives they also have this style of grind.

Anyway, I know that you know what you're doing, just thought I'd mention it.
I didn't know that,ill have to look into this.

I should think it would make a difference if your left or right handed to what side you put the bevel on.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Yeah I guess these knives must have models for left and right handed people.

If you look at the Japanese chefs knives you'll see that they're surprisingly thick, much thicker than western cooks knives.

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

If you look at the Japanese chefs knives you'll see that they're surprisingly thick, much thicker than western cooks knives.
I had a chat with my friend and he has decided he wants a mini nessie,Im going to make it a bit different to The Hogs and mine,I don't want it to be the same as are's.;)

·
Elitist Gun Snob
1,365 Posts
I knew you made knives, and I've read where you've discussed them, but somehow I've always missed the photographs, if there ever were any.

Let me just say I am REALLY impressed, and would love to purchase that big cutter on the log!

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I knew you made knives, and I've read where you've discussed them, but somehow I've always missed the photographs, if there ever were any.

Let me just say I am REALLY impressed, and would love to purchase that big cutter on the log!
I always post pics in my knife making threads??

Sorry these are my personal knives and are not for sale.

·
Semper non compos mentis
1,578 Posts
My friend turned up with these yesterday,so a few more knives to make me thinks.

Ive got a few ideas in mind.

Have you considered making Inuit Ulu knives? Those old brushcutter blades look made for it?

Nice work on all your knives Sticks. You've got me thinking now :thumb:

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Have you considered making Inuit Ulu knives? Those old brushcutter blades look made for it?

Nice work on all your knives Sticks. You've got me thinking now :thumb:
Funny you should ask about a Ulu,ive been thinking about making one but keep getting side tracked.

Friday is a lazy day for me so i went out and knocked up an Ulu.

The only wood i hade was some scales i had cut some time back so when i heated the Ulu i burn't the shape of the handle in so the scales would fit together,which worked a treat.

Its a bit rough but what do you expect in under two hours,i had a bit of steel left over from a knife i made and used the left over glue and nails for the pins.

So here you go Herne made from a piece of the bushcutter blade.:thumb:

Attachments

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts

The extra weight makes it easier to chop, I have a similar knife.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts