Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
The European Outdoorsman
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I was wondering if any of you have heard of the superstition that if you give a friend a knife, they will later not be your friend, maybe through a fight or disagreement or some such thing? In my case, it happened twice.

I bought a Ka-Bar for my father and him and I ended up having many arguments. Later, the knife was lost and suddenly the arguments stopped.

The second time, I bought one for a friend and him and I started having fights too. So far, nothing is resolved.

My wife told me about this superstition and I just wanted to get your guys' take on it. I am not saying it is true or not, just want to hear stories and opinions...

·
zombie response team
3,188 Posts
The only superstition I have heard of is handing someone a knife that you opened, must be handed back to you to close.

·
Indefatigable
21,109 Posts
I was always told you ask for a penny for the knife otherwise the person would hurt themself with it. I have also heard the same said for a lighter.

·
Patient Zero of WWZ
5,334 Posts
The only superstition I have heard of is handing someone a knife that you opened, must be handed back to you to close.
I always heard it the other way around. Handed it back in whatever state it was handed to you, open or closed.

Wonder if it's a regional thing. I'm the son of a southern mother's son. Maybe it's different is other areas.

·
Contego Libertas
6,775 Posts
Hey all,
I was wondering if any of you have heard of the superstition that if you give a friend a knife, they will later not be your friend, maybe through a fight or disagreement or some such thing? In my case, it happened twice.

I bought a Ka-Bar for my father and him and I ended up having many arguments. Later, the knife was lost and suddenly the arguments stopped.

The second time, I bought one for a friend and him and I started having fights too. So far, nothing is resolved.

My wife told me about this superstition and I just wanted to get your guys' take on it. I am not saying it is true or not, just want to hear stories and opinions...
Yes it is an old superstition, it is supposed to "Cut" the relationship. It's easy to solve though just have them give you a penny. A similar superstition is to never let anyone or anything(object) to come between you and your wife.(like when you are walking) If you let something(like a lightpole for instance on a walk) come between you it will "Split" that relationship.
Yeah this is another knife superstition. The knife must be handed back the same way it was handed to you. If they handed it to you open, you hand it back open. If they handed it to you closed, you hand it back closed.

·
(-.(-.-).-)
118 Posts
Years ago I didn't know about paying for a knife present.

Two of my close friends have knives from me without giving me nothing, because I didn't know I have to ask them coins. We are still best friends. :)

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Make them give you payment for the knives, ( a penny, pre-1982 of course, pre-65 dime or quarter) then they are not truly gifts.
Superstitions, are what they are. Though a pre 1982 penny is made from copper and not zinc. Good luck finding a pre 1965 dime or quarter. Or for that matter any coin with intrinsic value.

·
The European Outdoorsman
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm gonna give 3 to my mother-in-law!
Me too! If one or two of you guys are mad about this, realize it is for entertainment value. At least it is interesting. I am from the states, my wife is from central Europe. Anyways, I was thinking about this because I am about to buy my daughter her first knife.

·
Fish Slayer
135 Posts
Is this just friends or does it go for family as well? I have given my kids their first pocket knives. Oh well, I'll just hope for the best.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts