Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
It is my personal experience the entire contents of these sorts of work can be gathered from two sources for free:

1) Exercising your common sense.

2) Looking stuff up on the net.

In fact, I bet if you Google the chapter titles (see the Amazon entry) and add terms like "self sufficiency" or "financial freedom" you would probably be able to write a pretty good facsimile of this work.

·
Registered
179 Posts
That's Exactly Why I am on This Board!

Unfortunately my money is limited but I don't have a problem setting aside $1,000-$2,000 a year for prep items like freeze dried foods, etc. & just want to get the best for my buck. If I had a million plus, I'd have 1 or 2 fully stocked nuclear bomb shelters/bunkers to last me 25 years as well as permanent access to a helicopter as well as a fully stocked RV. Yeah and some legal weapons as well. Unfortunately I don't have that kind of money so I'm just taking things one year at a time and getting items that will last me.

My only concerns are a Pandemic/Bio Attack & Nukes. The scifi type stuff, like permanent EMP's, are not an immediate concern, sorry.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Unfortunately my money is limited but I don't have a problem setting aside $1,000-$2,000 a year for prep items like freeze dried foods, etc. & just want to get the best for my buck. If I had a million plus, I'd have 1 or 2 fully stocked nuclear bomb shelters/bunkers to last me 25 years as well as permanent access to a helicopter as well as a fully stocked RV. Yeah and some legal weapons as well. Unfortunately I don't have that kind of money so I'm just taking things one year at a time and getting items that will last me.

My only concerns are a Pandemic/Bio Attack & Nukes. The scifi type stuff, like permanent EMP's, are not an immediate concern, sorry.
Nukes WOULD cause an EMP. But even that probably wouldn't affect the entire US, let alone all of NA or even the world.

·
Peas and Carrots!
36,851 Posts
Somehow, buying a 56 page book for $4.99 to download onto your electronic book seems a bit counter-productive to starving "the man" but I'm sure it doesn't seem that way to "the man" who released that book last Wednesday.

I just have my reservations about anyone who's financial outlook on life can be altered by a book with a well-known symbol of a ethnic rebellion group on the front.

But that's just me.

·
American fearmaker
14,245 Posts
The key to survival is patience and steady progress. Money is secondary. Most of us are not rich people at all but we have the determination to move forward at a consistent pace even if it is a so one. Steady progress and forward movement is what makes for a good survivalist. Money is nice but for our type of personalities it could be almost, not quite, rendered useless in most cases. Most of us are the Type A personalities who work hard, think ahead of trouble and prepare to survive through tough times. And if that means living off of dandelion salads and acorn coffee for a week then so be it. Sure, it would be nice to have money to use to our advantage but we get by without it.

·
Solo Survivor
241 Posts
learning to live within ones means, or even below, can make a huge difference. this concept is very difficult for most of society. but it is something that i thank my mother for drilling into my head from a very young age. i manage just fine and have plenty put away and i have never had much in the way of money.

·
It's Survival Of
1,977 Posts
Nukes WOULD cause an EMP. But even that probably wouldn't affect the entire US, let alone all of NA or even the world.
When we talk about an EMP attack derived from a nuclear explosion we don't mean the effects of a nuclear bomb going off at ground level, or even at low altitude.

An EMP attack is created from a nuclear explosion set off at very high altitude. To be a successful attack it needs to react with our outer atmosphere. But when it does, the effects are amplified dramatically.

To get an idea of the strength of an EMP sent off at high altitude, look up starfish prime And then consider the size of the test nuke used, and the time period this test was done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Location....location

Gernerally, if you live within 200 miles of the coast line.....you are not in a safe place. I did not learn what I know from Edgar Cayce....lol....but I did read up on him recently. If its not Edgar, its what the Hopi, revelations, or even St Malachy. The safest places are from SD to CO. Yet even the safest places have issues.....like that Super Volcano....and the methane gas that has been resting underneath CO for millions of years. Literally, if you are on the wrong side of a MT.....and the Lord didnt let you know.....your hit. There two important things to remember for the future....one's location away from the coast....and intuition. I would not be here right now without the Lord....hehe. Also, you want to read --- and memorize as much information as possible about survival....and have a long-term survival kit on hand. You have to be ready to be on your feet....gas resources cannot be counted on in the future. You can stock pile your basement with the works....but if you live in CT, where I moved from.....its almost no good. Sorry to say. There will be no warning.....yet I always say these days...."if the Lord doesnt move ya, no one will."

·
Registered
5,208 Posts

If your money is "limited" why are you bying freeze dried foods? This a most inefficient use of money I can think of.

·
Constitutional Peasant
552 Posts
In my humble opinion: The key to survival is Will. The will to survive makes you keep throwing stuff against the wall until something sticks.

Without the will to survive, the first wrench that gets tossed into your well-funded plans is your undoing.

In the hairy situations I've been in backcountry, it's always been about having a sharp knife. If I can take one thing and one thing only into a doomsday scenario - it'd be a good quality knife; every time, twice on any day ending in "y".

·
Banned
30,718 Posts
If we were filthy rich we wouldn't be here. We would send "our people" here instead.

Reactions: CatBell and RandiTS

·
Deus exsisto laus
3,963 Posts
They key to survival is a survival mindset. Most people are "poor" b/c of the choices they make in life. But ok, I will not high jack the thread. In modern America, no adult is "without resources." Join the millions on food stamps. Every month "buy" a 20lbs bag of white rice,a bag of dried beans,and double up on the canned meats,fruits,and veggies you already consume. While not the best, it will put you well ahead of the herd.Then go form your own corporation. TP

·
Constitutional Peasant
552 Posts
I've been one about that long, I've traded their labor for those bags of rice to feed those children and chickens.

Look - the employer isn't your enemy. There's no such thing as a "Corporation", that's just a piece of paper. A Corporation is composed of PEOPLE, people like me and RandiTS, et-al. It's just a group of people that have come together to push towards a common goal. To be successful, we push aggressively, just like anything else.

It's all about Will To Live.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts