Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This new shotgun from Kel-Tec is definitely on my short list of firearms to purchase. Its 14 rds capacity (which is sweet in itself) set aside, I like the option you have to load different loads, say buckshot in one mag and slugs in the other. MSRP should be around $880.

http://www.keltecweapons.com/news/preview-kel-tec-shotgun-ksg

·
Registered
230 Posts
I keep watching the projected MSRP crawling up on these Kel-Tec's.... It is certainly on my short list and seems to be on back order on many sites, maybe we should all pretend like we don't want it so they stop hiking up the list price. Original suggested retail was b/w $600-$650.

·
Banned
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good and valid points. Not sure about the release date, from their website, it should be "later" this year, will keep an eye on their MSRP. The shotgun got a good review in the latest issue of Guns and Ammo.

·
Bad Guy
802 Posts
Looks like typical kel-tec quality.....plastic held together with phillips-head self-tapping screws. I'll bet it costs $39.95 to manufacture.

·
Banned
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A few months ago I would be tempted to agree with you. But I think Kel-Tec has gotten some flak that mostly was based on their earlier release of firearms. Guess they are still in the "Kia and the Hyundai" section when it comes to firearms, which translated, means that they to a large extent are frowned upon from the "bigger league buyers," but still seems to make quality products for a reasonable price, for an ever growing consumer [fan] base.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,554 Posts
Kel-Tec is bad about not meeting deadlines with their long guns. I'm still waiting for the 24 inch RFB that was supposed to be released a year or two back. They haven't even managed to scale up production on the 18 inch model yet. They did the exact same thing with the SU-16, and even today, they're not all that easy to find.

·
Ooh, pancakes!
3,046 Posts
I don't currently own a shotgun, and I'd never pick one as my primary over a rifle, so I'll probably buy one of these just because it's "neat" and I like to encourage innovation. Plus as I said, I don't have a shotgun ATM.

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
I keep watching the projected MSRP crawling up on these Kel-Tec's.... It is certainly on my short list and seems to be on back order on many sites, maybe we should all pretend like we don't want it so they stop hiking up the list price. Original suggested retail was b/w $600-$650.
$600 was pushing the upper limits already

for my $$. A 12ga shotgun for 800 is over my limit, 14rds or not.

The gun itself looks interesting however. Kel Tech is pushing out unique designs as of late.

11B

·
Semper Fi
2,808 Posts
I liked the Mossberg 590 with 8+1 capacity BUT Two 7 rnd tubes, with a shorter barrel- 14 shots Thats devestating up close Especially if you keep feeding her ammo as you shoot 00 buck or slug Flick of a switch Expensive. Bet really heavy, front heavy at that.

Assault shotguns are gonna get banned again, the Saiga 12- new streetsweeper... For urban defense, its awesome For jungle/thick brush- awesome Out past 100 yds, worthless.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I bet this would be an awesome combat shotgun but I have to disagree with its usefulness as a tool used by "survivalists". At least from what I know about it anyway. It looks like it was developed and is targeted specifically as a special purpose military and LE gun.

Let me ask you this, do you think this gun does, or ever will, have the ability to add a longer barrel and shoot fowl?

If you have the money to get a shotgun specifically intended for tactical application sure, go for it, but as the shotgun in a survival tool box its a no go in my opinion.

The modularity of shotguns is their greatest asset and something like this looks like it sacrifices the modularity in order to serve a VERY specific purpose.

I have a Remington 870 that I have about $450.00 in. It is the Supermag model so I can shoot anything from 2 3/4 shells to 3 1/2 (I don't think I would want to shoot 3 1/2 00 out of it though, but I can). Anyway, for 450 dollars I have a 26" barrel for fowl, a 20" slug barrel and an 18" defense barrel and I can shoot a large range of shells. I haven't seen the need at this time but for two hundred more dollars (or less I haven't shopped around) I could change out the stock to adjust for LOP and add a mag extension to hold 8 rounds.

Anyway, I'm not trying to say this is a crap gun or anything, again, I bet it is excellent for its purpose but it is my opinion that if you don't have a shotgun, avoid the "tac" gun and get something that you can fulfill the full range of shotgun versatility with, i.e. something that can put food on the table and be turned into a defense gun with a 10 second barrel change.

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
I think I want to get one to put next to the Mossberg Chainsaw model, if nothing else it will look COOL...

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,554 Posts
One sold today on gunbroker for over 4K, yes over $4,000 and it had 51 bids!

I wish I was joking, here is the link:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=237564016

Hard to believe the money some people have to blow.
I've never figured out why people do that. His shotgun will instantly devaluate to $600 or whatever the street price is, as soon as they start hitting the market in any real number.

It's like the kid who's parents spent $2,000 on eBay so he could be the first kid on the block with the newest video game system. Only to have all his friends abandon him and go down the block to play a few weeks later. Because that family waited until they hit the market, paid $200 and had more money left over for a bunch more games.

·
Registered
149 Posts
One sold today on gunbroker for over 4K, yes over $4,000 and it had 51 bids!

I wish I was joking, here is the link:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=237564016

Hard to believe the money some people have to blow.
4k for a shotgun....I can't wrap my mind around it. I don't think I could spend 4k on a shotgun if I tried.

Rem 870 with adjustable LOP stock, bird barrel, slug barrel, defense barrel, fiber optic beads on the smoothbores, picatinney rail for optics I wouldn't mount on a shotgun, shotgun scope that I wouldn't mount on a shotgun, sling....I don't think I even hit 1K there....
How in the **** do you spend 4K on a SHOTGUN! lol

Granted there are some really expensive overunders but geez, 4K on a defensive shotgun? Come on! :D:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts