Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This my first post. Ima DIYer and i got other projects going as well.

This here is a rebar cudgel 0.5 x 18in rebar, handle is from an angle grinder.

Really the only reason I thought this worth posting is because this thing hits very hard, high mass to area ratio, is ergonomic and good balance just feels right. After making this I'm convinced the 18inch rebar is a perfect cudgel at least for me it is. The only parts that actually matter is the bar of course and the nail and washer fitting at the end that stop the handle from creeping when swinging fast. I tried using just the bar as a handle but it rings like a bell all the way through my hand and up my arm BAD, and even with gloves on. So I made the handle and the handle isn't actually touching the bar at all. It has rubber between the two.

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
That's decent. Did you try a crow bar or pry bar first? You can get an 18 inch pry bar. Just seems a bit heavy for a one-use item. I'm not sure I'd worry about the hand ringing either. A human body being struck won't cause those vibrations in your hand. Well, it will a little bit but not like that.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
34,165 Posts
When I worked at a Smelter about 45 years ago I would carry a 2 ft long heavy hex steel bar about 2 inches in diameter. This had a lot of uses but mainly was like a sledge hammer to open and close some slide gates that had to be moved every shift to dump metal dust collector bins into the dust screw conveyors. The slides were heavy steel plate with a slot to grab and try to move them. BUt they would stick like crazy.

You needed the bar either to insert into the slot and use as a lever, or to beat on the slide to move it, like a sledge hammer.

Felt great carrying that thing around. In terms of a defensive weapon, it would have been devastating.

Something like this, except it was not stainless.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I worked at a Smelter about 45 years ago I would carry a 2 ft long heavy hex steel bar about 2 inches in diameter. This had a lot of uses but mainly was like a sledge hammer to open and close some slide gates that had to be moved every shift to dump metal dust collector bins into the dust screw conveyors. The slides were heavy steel plate with a slot to grab and try to move them. BUt they would stick like crazy.

You needed the bar either to insert into the slot and use as a lever, or to beat on the slide to move it, like a sledge hammer.

Felt great carrying that thing around. In terms of a defensive weapon, it would have been devastating.

[/Q

That's extremely heavy to be hulking around all day. I have a 4 foot ''crowbar'' (I don't know if they actually call it that) hexed and 1 inch diameter that should be equal in weight and some plus the hook. I use it for bending stuff on the floor as I've mounted a vices to my cement garage deck via anchors. Makes things somewhat easier.

What's funny is the site you posted works with stainless and I've been looking for some. I wanna make a food mixer of sorts and some other food related stuffs. Id rather buy domestically or even salvage the parts. That's how I got the bar

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's decent. Did you try a crow bar or pry bar first? You can get an 18 inch pry bar. Just seems a bit heavy for a one-use item. I'm not sure I'd worry about the hand ringing either. A human body being struck won't cause those vibrations in your hand. Well, it will a little bit but not like that.
I have plenty of bars of all sorts the reason I used the rebar is because it's so expendable. I could totally bend it up, bend it back straight or leave it at the side of a road or forget about it maybe make a new one if I was happy with it. Yeah the only way you'd actually get ringing in an engagement with a person is either a missed strike hitting the ground or wall and hitting another weapon. I was thinking maybe it could function as a sword breaker but I don't think it's hard enough. It's really malleable prolly tie it in a knot.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you grind the end to a point it would be better for close in engagements where you can't get a full swing.
I thought of it. I'm gonna play around with it a little while more to see if it's worth it. It's is heavy and almost at my limit for an expectable swing speed vs length ratio.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
34,165 Posts
That's extremely heavy to be hulking around all day. I have a 4 foot ''crowbar'' (I don't know if they actually call it that) hexed and 1 inch diameter that should be equal in weight and some plus the hook. I use it for bending stuff on the floor as I've mounted a vices to my cement garage deck via anchors. Makes things somewhat easier.

What's funny is the site you posted works with stainless and I've been looking for some. I wanna make a food mixer of sorts and some other food related stuffs. Id rather buy domestically or even salvage the parts. That's how I got the bar
I was working in a lead smelter. That steel bar was the lightest thing I touched all day!

Ever lift a shovel full of lead powder? It certainly kept me in good shape.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I've never dealt with half-inch rebar, how stiff is it? I know the thinner stuff is a little bendy to use as a weapon, but it sounds like what you have works plenty well.

I agree about putting a point on it, it never hurts to be able to stab and any strikes that have the very end hit will leave a horrible gouge.

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
8,472 Posts
Good idea but I havent seen the word ‘cudgel’ used in common talk ..ever, I guess...Its always been in stories of older times...sap, billy club, baton, of course..Cudgel is a new slant

·
1,080 Posts
There is a dungeons and dragons nerd hub near here that also sells comic books and Magic the gathering type stuff and it’s called the King’s Cudgel so I’m already viewing this thread with a lot of suspicion

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good idea but I havent seen the word ‘cudgel’ used in common talk ..ever, I guess...Its always been in stories of older times...sap, billy club, baton, of course..Cudgel is a new slant
[ranslated Russian literature. It's use is especially ubiquitous in regards to the Tsar and Tsarist.
Cudgel is used allot in translated Russian to English works and I would not have known it otherwise.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
34,165 Posts
Cudgel is a perfectly cromulent word! :)

Actually I have heard it many times before. One guy from Ireland had a cudgel hanging on his wall even, beside his Shillelagh .
When you gotta gird for battle, you need your wall of wompin sticks. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don’t know what this means
I was referring to the ''nerd hub'' if they're actual people, bots or people operating with the assistance of bots and vis versa. Isn't there an anti-soliciting policy? I haven't been solicited yet but id like to avoid it if possible.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've never dealt with half-inch rebar, how stiff is it? I know the thinner stuff is a little bendy to use as a weapon, but it sounds like what you have works plenty well.

I agree about putting a point on it, it never hurts to be able to stab and any strikes that have the very end hit will leave a horrible gouge.
I'm trying to find words to explain it. It bends and even permanently but it still takes a good while before it'll become annoyingly awkward to swing like too long to really care about unless you got OCD. But it does have to weird limit where if you hit hard it doesn't ring like a bell but does if you swing half heartedly.

As far as the point goes... I figured it's already plenty dangerous enough and the tip would quickly end up as a hook from getting bent to so easily. It really is soft.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I'm trying to find words to explain it. It bends and even permanently but it still takes a good while before it'll become annoyingly awkward to swing like too long to really care about unless you got OCD. But it does have to weird limit where if you hit hard it doesn't ring like a bell but does if you swing half heartedly.

As far as the point goes... I figured it's already plenty dangerous enough and the tip would quickly end up as a hook from getting bent to so easily. It really is soft.
I meant a short cone of a point, like only 1/2" or 5/8" long. That shouldn't bend at all.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts