Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Ok guys, it's been...easily almost 4 years since I posted here, but I guess I've re emerged after a few personal SHTFs that left me in some bad spots. Hardy har har oh well.

I've of course been doing some digging on this WuTang flu and something I've noticed is (not to be Captain Obvious):

Years ago, when Ebola was a huge thing and I lived in the Sierra Foothills, I'd drive home from the central valley every day and listen to various YouTube videos about the crisis on my commute. Alternative news, Alex Jones type stuff. Independent channels, etc...

No longer...it seems if you type into YouTube "Coronavirus cases" all you get is hand picked major mainstream media videos. I am fairly certain that the days of independent vloggers sharing their thoughts are gone.

There are no longer any more videos popping up on alternative theories and information. The closest I see is Tarl Warwick (styxhexenhammer666) on BitChute.

Hell, you want to watch "We Need to Talk About Sandy Hook" on YouTube? Good luck.

Is that movie copyrighted? NOPE! Creative Commons, and Independent Media Solidarity never made a dime. IIRC, I actually downloaded their videos straight from their official website, for free. No strings attached. No going through pirate bay, 1337X, etc...
And that's the way it should be! :thumb: :D:

So why would YT have a reason to take it down? I certainly can't think of one.

I haven't had a Facebook in I don't know how long (deleted that...I think 11 months ago)?

Instagram I couldn't delete with it for some dumb reason. Though I have no log in details.

Gmail, Google accounts I haven't had in a year or so.

Slowly but surely, I'm disconnecting from mainstream social media.

I traded Gmail for Protonmail, Instagram for Vero, Facebook for VK, and YouTube for BitChute. Instead of Facebook groups, I'd say forums like these are your next best bet.

Has it been an adjustment? Sure. I wish I could send my mom my rent money (I rent from a home she owns: Yes, I live alone) from VK pay (the equivalent of Zelle and Google Wallet). But unfortunately, it's in cryllic meaning I have to drive 200 miles round trip every 2 weeks to give her cash. Oh well, I love the drive to her house anyhow! Or I just simply have to learn Russian.

If you don't speak Russian, VK doesn't really have much to offer other than me being able to message my buddies, and follow some English pages. It's basically Russian Facebook.

Vero has its quirks. But it does have good content and you can avoid all the IG THOTs. (One nude did pop up in my feed...gal was so ugly I almost turned gay after puking on my phone). :xeye: :eek:

ProtonMail reminds me of Yahoo circa 2003, but again, it works and works pretty decently.

BitChute app is a (first 5 letters of that service ) to work with but beats being censored by big tech.

My point is?

With all this censorship, we need to get away from big tech perhaps. The importance is more so greater in the middle of a pandemic. We should have access to front line info, theories, and shared thoughts without getting our posts removed by Facebook, Twitter, etc...

However, if the internet was turned off (I'm damn sure the world has a kill switch somewhere) how would we communicate? Here are ways I know. This would be heavily supported by word of mouth though.

1. USB Dead drops

This is fairly straight forward. You can insert a USB into a wall, tree, piece of pipe held with joint compound, anywhere really and be able to share files anonymously and completely offline.
Deaddrops.com has a great info page with a database, and how-to guides there.

My recommendation? If you have cheap USB drives laying around, plant em like seeds!

Get a cheap Tracfone burner and a USB extender. You can completely view most any files off a $50 Galaxy J7.

If you don't want to use Google Play (I sure don't) you can download the APK app files out right and install them. (search how to do it) a good site is apkpure.com

2. Network dead drops.

piratebox.cc is a great website for how to's for making something called a "PirateBox"

The concept here is, you connect a Raspberry Pi in a fixed location or moving location (Bike, car, skateboard even) and you can share files offline. PirateBox has even a configurable offline forum! Basically, you need a router, Raspberry Pi and storage devices to get started.

3. The alternatives I described above, with internet still going. Information can be shared a tad more freely on these platforms.

As to space?

I'm sure many of the members here older than, I'd say 35 remember text files and the old BBS's. 25 year old like me barely experienced dial up into maybe 2003 before getting DSL.

Instead of big websites, you had bulletin board services that shared basic, rudimentary text files (Textfiles.com is a huge nostalgia for the more elder members here).

These files are small, and downloaded Ok even on landline connections (Not Fios, DSL etc).

Were these text files all nice and pretty formatting like Office 2019? Nope.

Did they get the job done? Hell yeah they did. Most people got their message across, straight to the point with no BS, ads, and all that modern crap.

And who knows, if censorship and disinformation goes any further maybe these old outdated services will make a comeback.

My fear is instead of being able to Tweet "1,582nd case confirmed in LA County" you may just have to have some buddies, who can tell you "We have a PirateBox set up across the street from McDonalds on A Street and Avenue 123 at Fred's house" where you can share your info via text file.

Perhaps offline sharing is our only hope?

The downside is having to venture out in public. Though, if you sat in your car for 5 minutes, you can download the files on your phone, and haul rear back home. And a major PITA not having the conveniences of large social media to spread information. However, if it took an hour to download an arcade game on dial up, I can't see how this can be much worse.

Either way, I'm sick and tired of having to search "Wuhan Coronavirus in the US" etc... only to have Chinese propaganda videos pop up. I don't care about your daggum dancing videos. There's people dying in the streets. Information was squashed the first month, and still is being squashed. Basically, this forum is the only good source I know. Mostly due to the hard work of all the members and mods here. And the only forum with members intelligent enough to have useful conversation about the HIV strands, the reality of this stuff, and not just spewing the same MSM garbage.

If I quit big social media sites due to censorship last year, this years Coronavirus info is censorship on crack...I truly hope I am over reacting to my own perception of the news, though honestly, I won't hold my breath. Something tells me CNN will be shouting "don't be afraid" while there's fever checkpoints in public. And I don't think for a second you'd be able to post about it...

Just my $0.02. Feel free to add your own ideas. :D: :) (I'm aware of ham radio)

·
Banned
34,722 Posts
Offline data's importance would depend on duration and severity of the plague.

If you just need to sit at home and eat stored good for a few months.... Minimal need.
If it gets so bad that you need to grow good and there is no return to "normal"... Biggly.

Now the body of your text is very tinfoil hattish.
Why bother with dead drops to someone you can just drive over to and talk?

You could,you know.... Talk to people.

Or write a letter.

·
Grevcon 10
13,398 Posts
Physical dead drop during a plague = infection spread

Network dead drop during a plague = pointlessly slow and if you can't get the information already you're not going to have any information to share. Nor would you have any way to verify the very slowly updated and severely disorganized information in a text file somewhere.

The answer is simple. Sites like this combined with all the crap that makes it through the censors before they get ahold of it on the major sites, and then gets spread on sites like this. Your answer is right here, not that your question has anything specific to do with this board's topic.

Now if the internet/phone networks just goes down in general you're going to be isolated anyway and won't know what's going on outside your BIL/BOL. Maybe some gossip can be found via HAM or something, but you won't really have access to the serious information.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Physical dead drop during a plague = infection spread

Network dead drop during a plague = pointlessly slow and if you can't get the information already you're not going to have any information to share. Nor would you have any way to verify the very slowly updated and severely disorganized information in a text file somewhere.

The answer is simple. Sites like this combined with all the crap that makes it through the censors before they get ahold of it on the major sites, and then gets spread on sites like this. Your answer is right here, not that your question has anything specific to do with this board's topic.

Now if the internet/phone networks just goes down in general you're going to be isolated anyway and won't know what's going on outside your BIL/BOL. Maybe some gossip can be found via HAM or something, but you won't really have access to the serious information.
That's certainly something to ponder.

Nonetheless, what a hell of a time we're living in. That's for sure

I tried to respond to the above posters but browser screwed up. What I'm referring to is sharing info between buddies, your neighbors if like minded, stuff like that.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And honestly, I stand strong by the statement that this site (at least that I'm aware of) is pretty much the last good resource and source of discussion I've found.

And unless I find, or someone shows me a better resource than here, I doubt it'll change.

·
Banned
34,722 Posts
I can think of many. I have powdered lidocaine and fish antibiodics, but while i have read about their use (doseage, applications etc) I have not downloaded it.

These are only some of the MASSIVE amount of info I am currently identifying downloads.

·
Grevcon 10
13,398 Posts
I can think of many. I have powdered lidocaine and fish antibiodics, but while i have read about their use (doseage, applications etc) I have not downloaded it.

These are only some of the MASSIVE amount of info I am currently identifying downloads.
There we go. In this case... I've made a point to gather a reasonable book shelf of survival books, medical reference books, wild edible books, rural farm skills books, home improvement references, 1800s farm reference books, cook books, etc. I also have a thumb drive full of thousands of pdfs and text files of useful information. Plus the ol' complete field manual collection on CD. More recently, in response to this, I printed out a guide for bleach dilutions and stapled it to the laundry room wall. Picked up a state localized mushroom guide book from the conservation department as well. Need to up my food gathering game.

Especially if I've still got a working laptop I should have a huge library of information to pull from. Not as good as the internet, but I should be able to find anything I need if I dig through it all enough.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There we go. In this case... I've made a point to gather a reasonable book shelf of survival books, medical reference books, wild edible books, rural farm skills books, home improvement references, 1800s farm reference books, cook books, etc. I also have a thumb drive full of thousands of pdfs and text files of useful information. Plus the ol' complete field manual collection on CD. More recently, in response to this, I printed out a guide for bleach dilutions and stapled it to the laundry room wall. Picked up a state localized mushroom guide book from the conservation department as well. Need to up my food gathering game.

Especially if I've still got a working laptop I should have a huge library of information to pull from. Not as good as the internet, but I should be able to find anything I need if I dig through it all enough.
Same. Albeit, I'm a tad envious you have a bookshelf. I don't.

What books I do have are all automotive related, in terms of hard copies

·
Registered
9,704 Posts
I did read some chatter about how YouTube has demonetized several Asian bloggers for talking about the coronavirus. Of course google owns them and they work with the Chinese to enhance their social credit rating system. China also blacklisted a group of people on the social credit system for trying to avoid going to a quarantine camp.

If you need references, you should have them stored somewhere in a form you'll be able to access. One flip of the switch (figuratively) and the internet could stop.

·
Banned
6,384 Posts
Ok guys, it's been...easily almost 4 years since I posted here, but I guess I've re emerged after a few personal SHTFs that left me in some bad spots. Hardy har har oh well.

I've of course been doing some digging on this WuTang flu and something I've noticed is (not to be Captain Obvious):

Years ago, when Ebola was a huge thing and I lived in the Sierra Foothills, I'd drive home from the central valley every day and listen to various YouTube videos about the crisis on my commute. Alternative news, Alex Jones type stuff. Independent channels, etc...

No longer...it seems if you type into YouTube "Coronavirus cases" all you get is hand picked major mainstream media videos. I am fairly certain that the days of independent vloggers sharing their thoughts are gone.

There are no longer any more videos popping up on alternative theories and information. The closest I see is Tarl Warwick (styxhexenhammer666) on BitChute.

Hell, you want to watch "We Need to Talk About Sandy Hook" on YouTube? Good luck.

Is that movie copyrighted? NOPE! Creative Commons, and Independent Media Solidarity never made a dime. IIRC, I actually downloaded their videos straight from their official website, for free. No strings attached. No going through pirate bay, 1337X, etc...

And that's the way it should be! :thumb: :D:

So why would YT have a reason to take it down? I certainly can't think of one.

I haven't had a Facebook in I don't know how long (deleted that...I think 11 months ago)?

Instagram I couldn't delete with it for some dumb reason. Though I have no log in details.

Gmail, Google accounts I haven't had in a year or so.

Slowly but surely, I'm disconnecting from mainstream social media.

I traded Gmail for Protonmail, Instagram for Vero, Facebook for VK, and YouTube for BitChute. Instead of Facebook groups, I'd say forums like these are your next best bet.

Has it been an adjustment? Sure. I wish I could send my mom my rent money (I rent from a home she owns: Yes, I live alone) from VK pay (the equivalent of Zelle and Google Wallet). But unfortunately, it's in cryllic meaning I have to drive 200 miles round trip every 2 weeks to give her cash. Oh well, I love the drive to her house anyhow! Or I just simply have to learn Russian.

If you don't speak Russian, VK doesn't really have much to offer other than me being able to message my buddies, and follow some English pages. It's basically Russian Facebook.

Vero has its quirks. But it does have good content and you can avoid all the IG THOTs. (One nude did pop up in my feed...gal was so ugly I almost turned gay after puking on my phone). :xeye: :eek:

ProtonMail reminds me of Yahoo circa 2003, but again, it works and works pretty decently.

BitChute app is a (first 5 letters of that service ) to work with but beats being censored by big tech.

My point is?

With all this censorship, we need to get away from big tech perhaps. The importance is more so greater in the middle of a pandemic. We should have access to front line info, theories, and shared thoughts without getting our posts removed by Facebook, Twitter, etc...

However, if the internet was turned off (I'm damn sure the world has a kill switch somewhere) how would we communicate? Here are ways I know. This would be heavily supported by word of mouth though.

1. USB Dead drops

This is fairly straight forward. You can insert a USB into a wall, tree, piece of pipe held with joint compound, anywhere really and be able to share files anonymously and completely offline.

Deaddrops.com has a great info page with a database, and how-to guides there.

My recommendation? If you have cheap USB drives laying around, plant em like seeds!

Get a cheap Tracfone burner and a USB extender. You can completely view most any files off a $50 Galaxy J7.

If you don't want to use Google Play (I sure don't) you can download the APK app files out right and install them. (search how to do it) a good site is apkpure.com

2. Network dead drops.

piratebox.cc is a great website for how to's for making something called a "PirateBox"

The concept here is, you connect a Raspberry Pi in a fixed location or moving location (Bike, car, skateboard even) and you can share files offline. PirateBox has even a configurable offline forum! Basically, you need a router, Raspberry Pi and storage devices to get started.

3. The alternatives I described above, with internet still going. Information can be shared a tad more freely on these platforms.

As to space?

I'm sure many of the members here older than, I'd say 35 remember text files and the old BBS's. 25 year old like me barely experienced dial up into maybe 2003 before getting DSL.

Instead of big websites, you had bulletin board services that shared basic, rudimentary text files (Textfiles.com is a huge nostalgia for the more elder members here).

These files are small, and downloaded Ok even on landline connections (Not Fios, DSL etc).

Were these text files all nice and pretty formatting like Office 2019? Nope.

Did they get the job done? Hell yeah they did. Most people got their message across, straight to the point with no BS, ads, and all that modern crap.

And who knows, if censorship and disinformation goes any further maybe these old outdated services will make a comeback.

My fear is instead of being able to Tweet "1,582nd case confirmed in LA County" you may just have to have some buddies, who can tell you "We have a PirateBox set up across the street from McDonalds on A Street and Avenue 123 at Fred's house" where you can share your info via text file.

Perhaps offline sharing is our only hope?

The downside is having to venture out in public. Though, if you sat in your car for 5 minutes, you can download the files on your phone, and haul rear back home. And a major PITA not having the conveniences of large social media to spread information. However, if it took an hour to download an arcade game on dial up, I can't see how this can be much worse.

Either way, I'm sick and tired of having to search "Wuhan Coronavirus in the US" etc... only to have Chinese propaganda videos pop up. I don't care about your daggum dancing videos. There's people dying in the streets. Information was squashed the first month, and still is being squashed. Basically, this forum is the only good source I know. Mostly due to the hard work of all the members and mods here. And the only forum with members intelligent enough to have useful conversation about the HIV strands, the reality of this stuff, and not just spewing the same MSM garbage.

If I quit big social media sites due to censorship last year, this years Coronavirus info is censorship on crack...I truly hope I am over reacting to my own perception of the news, though honestly, I won't hold my breath. Something tells me CNN will be shouting "don't be afraid" while there's fever checkpoints in public. And I don't think for a second you'd be able to post about it...

Just my $0.02. Feel free to add your own ideas. :D: :) (I'm aware of ham radio)
I recommend the app "Minds" for social media.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,319 Posts
Thread cleaned up STOP THE STUPID ARGUING

Title adjusted to better fit the thread

Thread moved to the correct section

·
Registered
58 Posts
On the money thing, just use the Western Union app. I send money to Colombia every month that way. The fees are modest and in your case would likely be less than the cost of driving the cash out there. You can set it up on your phone to deposit straight to her bank account, or she can pick it up. Not hard.

As for all the other stuff. None of that is feasible imo. How many people are going to be screwing around with dead drops or Raspberry pi in SHTF? Nobody.

I'm no shtf comms expert, but all of the emergency services have radios for a reason. Radios are all people will use if the internet/cellular networks go tits up.

I do think it is worthwhile to have printed material available as a reference. After I move, I want to start adding the sort of books that would help to my bookshelves.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts