Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be your ideal pistol and matching pistol caliber carbine? Since we all live in different areas and are preparing for different things please include those things in your response. I live in a coastal city my current combo is a smith & Wesson 686 with a 6" barrel and a puma 16" lever action rifle both in stainless.

·
Native Cracker Cowhunter
1,897 Posts
Ain't no such animal as the perfect one but I do 45acp pistol with a 45-70G lever for short.
With a 223/556 for long. Your choices as good as I've heard of -- excellent for you, that's all that counts.

Reactions: shdwlkr

·
Registered
331 Posts
It depends exactly what you want to do with them. If you want to use the carbine for deer hunting, something in .357 magnum may be a good choice. If you only want them for plinking, you might go with 22LR.

I'm fond of the Beretta CX4 / PX4 combo in 9mm. This is, in my opinion, the highest quality 9mm rifle/pistol combo that uses the same magazines, and 9mm suits my intended purposes just fine.

So, pick your caliber first, then your platforms.

·
Awesome
18,077 Posts
CZ-75 pistol and a custom tube style "sub gun" type carbine based on an economically available parts kit such as the VZ SA-26 or KP44.. ive actually considered turning a KP44 bolt into an MP18 sub gun with keymodded shroud and full top rail

·
Registered
203 Posts
We also go with .38/.357 revolvers and lever action rifles, it's the perfect set up for where we are.There is so many ammo choices for that caliber , makes for a very versatile combo. I also have the .38/.357 inserts for the shotguns.

·
Heliphobe
788 Posts
Ideal matching pair in the same caliber: for me ...
S&W 627PC and a Rossi 92 in 357, the ability to use 38 spl sealed the deal for me, as it allows for a broad spectrum of loads, some of which would be better suited for either the pistol or the rifle.
FWIW, I considered several options: 45LC/44 Mag are both too much for regular pistol work for everyone in the party. 22LR is nice as well, and easier for more people to handle, but I wanted more energy. 9mm/40/45 just doesn't deliver in a long gun the way a 357 does.

·
Bugged out already
4,834 Posts
Since I live in Alaska I'd have to go with 44 cal due to larger game. Lower 48 I'd likely go with 357. I haven't researched the ballistics on these rounds but would imagine you could accurately place a round with the energy to put down most game out to 200-300 yards with a lever action rifle with iron sights. Of course both rounds are effective in handguns.

Edit: Looking at the ballistic charts, these rounds are probably optimal for game out to about 150 yards. After that you start to get significant bullet drop and loss of energy. They might be good out to 200 for game. Maybe someone with field knowledge can weigh in.

·
accipere rubrum pilula
1,680 Posts
I'm a fan of the .357 revolver/carbine combo for my area.

The possibility of using the various bullet weights and powder loads for .38 special and .357 magnum make this platform very versatile.

I believe I'd be able to defend myself adequately and put food in the pot as well.

As I stated, this combo works well in my area, of course your individual mileage may vary.

·
Heliphobe
788 Posts
too bad there isnt a straight blowback carbine that could fire rimless 357 mag made from cheap 5.56 brass from a 30 round box mag along with a pistol that could also fire the same ammo
That'd defeat the utility as it would be a specialty round, unless a revolver was made that could shoot them using moon clips, while retaining the ability to shoot 38 spl/357 magnum. Better still would be an AR Upper chambered in 357 max that used STANAG mags - I know a guy is trying to work that out.

·
Awesome
18,077 Posts
That'd defeat the utility as it would be a specialty round, unless a revolver was made that could shoot them using moon clips, while retaining the ability to shoot 38 spl/357 magnum. Better still would be an AR Upper chambered in 357 max that used STANAG mags - I know a guy is trying to work that out.
you can load and extract/eject rimless 357 mag in a single action revolver such as a blackhawk or SAA without needing moon clips, and a PPS-43 bolt would have the mass and bolt face youd need to run it in a blowback carbine too and anyone with the technical skills to build a sub gun from parts would have the skills to make straight double-stack double feed stick mags for it

also, its not really specialty.. just chopping down a .223 case, sizing it, and inside neck reaming it for the bullet and youre pretty much done, barely more work than handloading 357 with rimmed brass

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't like to use the same ammo in a rifle that I'm going to use in a pistol. It limits the range and capability of the rifle. And vice versa, the ammo for the rifle will be hell on the pistol.

I like a pistol caliber carbine. But it's usually a different caliber than my sidearm.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
17,555 Posts
After reading the question again, yes I have a pair of revolvers and a lever action in 44 mag.

My combo, Ruger Redhawk, Ruger Bisley Blackhawk, Marlin 1894.

Typically I load my 44 mag ammo with 275 g SWC/GC bullets cast from high antimony lead alloy. If I get too lazy to cast my own, I'll load with Sierra 300 g JSP bullets.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.