Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
The European Outdoorsman
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, on Ontario's site I saw that the HEST fixed blade is being produced by Ontario now. They said that they will have it available in 3" and 4" blades. I will probably pick a 4" blade up... Anyone have a HEST or have heard anything about this?

·
Survivus most anythingus
3,874 Posts
These are now DPX gear knives since ESEE & Robert Young Pelton have gone their separate ways.

Evidently RYP will be having Ontario make them now instead of Rowen.

http://www.blademag.com/profiles/blogs/esee-knives-discontinues-hest

I have an ESEE H.E.S.T. & although it's a quality made knife,it's a little too gimmicky for me.

Cliff
I have one of the originals as well. I love it though. It's a tough little knife. There is no way the Ontario models are going to equal the Rowen-made ones but they will still probably be very well made knives.

·
The European Outdoorsman
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I expect it will be similar to the ESEE, since the design is the same. As far as the quality, I think Ontario's quality is going up since they have revamped their heat treating process. Can't beat ESEE's warranty though...

Can it be mounted to MOLLE gear?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I expect it will be similar to the ESEE, since the design is the same. As far as the quality, I think Ontario's quality is going up since they have revamped their heat treating process. Can't beat ESEE's warranty though...

Can it be mounted to MOLLE gear?
You can use the MOLLE locks or chute cord to mount them on MOLLE gear.

Cliff

·
Registered
391 Posts
I agree with Cliff
I really like my HEST but I am thinking of grinding off the pry bar, and who really needs a bottle opener on their knife

·
The European Outdoorsman
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I like the design of it because it is bigger than an izula and it has a punched out handle, which makes it lighter. The ESEE 3/4 has that as well, but there is less punched out, so I think it is heavier.

I am looking for a 4 inch blade, with an exposed pommel, very light, and can be mounted on a MOLLE system.

So far, if my research is correct, the HEST is 5.8 oz and I have no idea about The ESEE/RC 4. If anyone has one and knows the weight, please chime in because then I will pick one up quickly.

Also, I wanted a thinner blade also for the weight reason. I have many folders, and then various fixed blades most of them with 1/4" and I am learning and getting my skills to the point where I would be confident in the woods/desert with just a small 4 inch blade an a swiss army knife.

·
Professional Knife Addict
677 Posts
I liked the idea of the H.E.S.T. when I first saw it since it had a unique, different pattern. The only problem is the knife looks like it can suffer from strength flaw on the blade notch.

·
Survivus most anythingus
3,874 Posts
You mean like a stress riser? I don't think any of them have broken because of that, at least the ones made by Rowen.

·
The European Outdoorsman
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Cliff for the weight info...as for breaking... it is a solid thick hunk of steel, 3 inches in length. I wouldn't say it is good for batoning, but the ESEE models for sure won't have issues and Ontario has had some issues in the past, but in an interview with Dan Maragni I had, heat treat issues are mostly done by him. If it is 5160 steel, for sure it will be overseen or at least done with a newer process and system he created there at Ontario.

That said, if you have ever used folder to cut limbs and branches for a starter fire, then the HEST of either company would durable enough to handle most wood tasks. Batoning has it's place, but like I said, you won't be doing it, so super hard impacts on the spine won't happen. I don't seen how even a cheaply made knife of the same design would fail because it is one single solid piece of steel...

I'm sold on an ESEE 4 though!

·
Professional Knife Addict
677 Posts
Thanks Cliff for the weight info...as for breaking... it is a solid thick hunk of steel, 3 inches in length. I wouldn't say it is good for batoning, but the ESEE models for sure won't have issues and Ontario has had some issues in the past, but in an interview with Dan Maragni I had, heat treat issues are mostly done by him. If it is 5160 steel, for sure it will be overseen or at least done with a newer process and system he created there at Ontario.

That said, if you have ever used folder to cut limbs and branches for a starter fire, then the HEST of either company would durable enough to handle most wood tasks. Batoning has it's place, but like I said, you won't be doing it, so super hard impacts on the spine won't happen. I don't seen how even a cheaply made knife of the same design would fail because it is one single solid piece of steel...

I'm sold on an ESEE 4 though!
I hope the new line of Ontario knives are of the tough quality. Just received my new RAK with CRKS Custom Kydex. Can't wait to put it through it's paces.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts