Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
USMC
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here i will chronicle the ongoing upgrades of my beloved Ruger 10/22 Carbine. I have other more expensive rifles including an AR-15, but none are more fun to pimp out than this little guy!

I gave it it's name for an obvious reason after I FINALLY killed one of the groundhogs that had been ravaging out garden for several years. I was so excited, my first confirmed kill with this gun, so I dubbed it: "Groundhog Killer 1.0".

Stay tuned, more to come.

·
USMC
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Upgrade to 2.0

Next I was on the lookout for a decent scope because I never really liked the iron sights on the 10/22.
I walked into Wal-Mart where I have gotten to know the sporting goods guys pretty well. I picked up a generic scope and asked how much it was. The sporting goods supervisor told me that it was a kind of crappy scope (He owned one) and that he had one on clearance for about $40. The CenterPoint 3-9x32 He said he was willing to give me a deal to get it off the shelf as it had been there for a few months. So I ended up walking out the door with a $65 dollar scope and a rail mount for about $30. Heck yeh!

I brought it home and played with the red/green dual illuminated reticle and mounted it on my rifle. Here's a picture:

Behold! Groundhog Killer 2.0!

The only gripe I have is that I can't see underneath the scope rings to see the iron sights beneath. I don't know if they are designed like this on purpose, or if they have a set of scope rings I could buy that has a hole where I could peak through. (Just in case my scope ever gets broken) Not a huge deal, but it would be pretty cool all the same.

·
USMC
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Upgrades 2.1 and 2.2

Groundhog Killer 2.1-
Next I discovered and fell in love with the Ruger BX-25 magazine. I got one and added it. I plan to buy more in the future as I love the reliability on these things.
I didn't feel like this justified a whole new upgrade to 3.0, so I called it the 2.1.

Groundhog Killer 2.2 -
I decided I wanted to eventually put a sling on it, as carrying it around all the time isn't very much fun, so I purchased some Winchester "Bolt action" Sling Swivels. (Is there even a difference? Lol;)) Brought them home and carefully drilled out a bit of my stock to put them in. It gave me an idea for Groundhog Killer 2.3. (Next Post)

·
Retired and luvin it!
1,007 Posts
Sounds like you don't spend enough time over on Rimfire Central. :)

One good upgrade would be to have it recrowned/re-chambered to a better 22lr spec or simply upgrade to a Green Mountain barrel that is already done. You might want to get a threaded barrel for a suppressor for hunting around the homestead so as not to disturb the family/livestock.

BTW, I have 2 Rugers, one with a GM bull barrel that shoots 1/4" 5-shot groups at 50 yards as well as one converted to .17Mach2 that regularly shoots 3/8" 5-shot groups off a rest. Both have Muller scopes but neither one has an upgraded trigger which would likely shrink the groups even more. I use Eley ammo for both but CCI 22lr for tree rats which group slightly under 1/2"

·
Preparing since 1972
5,612 Posts
I didn't like the iron sights on my 10/22 either....I thought they were some of the worst I ever seen.......I bought fixed sights from Tru Glow and really like them......

·
Registered
320 Posts
Here i will chronicle the ongoing upgrades of my beloved Ruger 10/22 Carbine. I have other more expensive rifles including an AR-15, but none are more fun to pimp out than this little guy!

I gave it it's name for an obvious reason after I FINALLY killed one of the groundhogs that had been ravaging out garden for several years. I was so excited, my first confirmed kill with this gun, so I dubbed it: "Groundhog Killer 1.0".

Stay tuned, more to come.
Sounds like great fun!

But be careful it can be hard to stop!

·
USMC
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, i stopped posting for a few days. I thought nobody was interested so I was just going to let the thread drop to oblivion, but I guess as it looks like I have a few followers I'll keep it updated. :)

Groundhog Killer 2.3 -

Alright, so I mentioned in a previous post that while I was drilling out some holes for sling swivels I had a crazy idea. I decided to take off the plastic buttplate and drill some holes inside to store some emergency ammunition in. I figure even if I had to bug out and didn't get the chance to grab mags and ammunition, I could use it like a bolt action by manually inserting the rounds myself. The screws are flat head, I always carry my swiss army knife so that's not too much of an issue. I suppose in a pinch I could use a coin to turn them as well.

I was able to drill the buttstock with a 5/16 bit and it holds about 4 rounds per hole. (Could hold more but my bit wasn't very long) If I had spaced them better and been more patient I probably could have fit more rounds in there. In all I was able to fit a good 15 though.

I messed up a few holes by not drilling them neatly enough so there were some wood shavings that caught one of my rounds and is holding it hostage in my stock. I figured I wouldn't drill anymore in that hole to clean it out at the risk of blowing my fingers off. Haha! If you end up doing this mod, just make sure the holes are neat and cleaned out before you insert the rounds. The 5/16 bit should provide a hole where they slide out easily.

I put the butt plate back on after and you can't even tell the difference. It rattles a little so i may put a little cotton or eraser pieces in there to shut them up. :) Here are the pictures.

As long my rifle stays somewhat dry, they should be okay in there.
I'm kinda broke until my next paycheck without dipping into my savings, so it may be a bit until my next upgrade. I am looking for unusual ideas for my 10/22 which would make it better for survival/SHTF. If you have a (preferably low cost) idea let me know maybe it will be featured next update!

·
Registered
207 Posts
groundhog killer...
this summer we moved fulltime into a farm we bought and confronted a family of ground hogs that burrowed under part of our great room...
so I was given the green light to light those sucker up
when they went into the hayfield mid morning and sat up to look around...Whump!
one less ground hog ...fifty yards iron sights with my ar-15 using a 223 varmint round, thought a 5.56 fmj might not do as well.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts