Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lived for 4 years out in the woods of Alaska, 90 miles from the nearest town. Only from September to May usually, I lived in a log cabin on a creek, and you can see that log cabin in a documentary called "Braving Alaska ".

I didn't build that cabin, I just moved in there when the guy who built it moved back to Maine, after more than 20 years of living there. His name was Errol Wilson.

I would hunt for my food every single day because I only took 50 pound bags of rice, pancake mix, and beans down the river with me, as well as coffee and sugar.

I very nearly ended up like Chris mccandless except for squirrels and multivitamins, and I just didn't trust anything that I was not 100 percent sure of. I ate rose hips and cranberries and squirrels once my food ran out, this was my first winter when I was a greenhorn.

But I can tell you this, I have never felt more comfortable as I was sitting by the window looking out at the snow falling with a cup of coffee and a Conan paperback in my hand.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For you guys wondering why I didn't get a moose or shoot a bear or something, a lot of people have grave misconceptions about Alaska.

You think that there is a bear or wolf or moose behind every tree? Think again. Where i lived, you could go the entire winter without seeing a moose.

Wolves and lynx are great eating, but until you get the skills to trap and hunt, you will never even see them.

But geez, was it great being completely alone, I would not trade those times for all the money in the world.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My second year there, in 1997, I started net fishing salmon, in the fall, and then I got a moose, I had 2 dogs that would pull little plastic sleds.

I literally thought that I was Jeremiah Johnson and John Rambo, with a little bit of Charles Bronson mixed in as well.

I worked hard, cutting wood with a bow saw, it was a full time job, all day, every single day. But what I did, I would cut wood for a couple of hours, then go back into the cabin, eat some rice and fish, drink some coffee, and then go back to it.

So, in my first couple of winters, I would go the entire winter without seeing another person, but then one day I decided to go on a trip, just to do something different. I had my two dogs pull me and a sled on skis down the river.

I was only about 10 miles from my cabin and I see something crossing the river so I unsling my ruger m77 and look through the scope. It was a person. I didn't know that anyone was living anywhere near me, but for 2 years, this guy had been only ten miles away.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These replies are ignorant. In making this post, I am trying to encourage people to go out and do things, even if it is just for a couple of days.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know what you are getting at, about the squirrels and salmon, but I think it is obvious you have never hunted, and you have certainly never strung out a 70 foot gill net from the bank of a river.

The Y2k comments, I was just about as worried about that as I am right now about covid 19.

·
SI vis pacem,para bellum
1,951 Posts
So you spent 4 years Sep ------ May I guess in succession. Where did you spend the other three months of the year? Why did you not remain there?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I worked from May to September, sometime it was carpentry, sometimes a fish cannery, I worked for the Alaska dept of fish and game, the Alaska division of forestry, I washed dishes.

I lived there for 11 years, but only four winters actually in the bush.

Now, I am in Michigan and my life sucks. I hate it here, even though I am in a small town, the meth problem here is horrible. I am going back to Alaska asap.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This town is only about 5000 people, my downstairs neighbor is this beautiful girl, but she is a heroin addict, and I have been in 3 violent fistfights with her ex boyfriends, I am 52 years old, these guys are in their 20s and early 30s.

She overdosed 5 days ago and is in the hospital right now.

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,969 Posts
SOUNDS like you are on the west side of the state.
East side can't afford heroin, only garage crank

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And for the heroin being expensive part, people here make 3600 a month on unemployment, free health care, free dental, plus section 8 housing assistance that pays 760 a month for a single person.

I don't have any of that, but I know people that do.

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,969 Posts
I wish I would have never left Alaska, my life has been ****.

I am in Alpena
YEAH, the SUNRISE side and the coast line is pretty taking the drive up to the Straits from there.
I would have been on the Keewanaw Penn years ago if I could have had the wife to make the move.
but she thought it was too far removed from everything...Copper Harbor, so pretty...
bike copper harbor.JPG
up map1.jpg
copper harbor map 2.jpg

1 - 20 of 29 Posts