Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/co...-knives-campaign/story-e6frf7jo-1225868666083

COLLINGWOOD star Harry O'Brien has told how he witnessed a stabbing when he was 12 as he prepares to front an anti-knives campaign to be launched on Friday.

The Magpies defender will spearhead the campaign, a joint initiative between the Collingwood Football Club and the State Government.

The campaign will be launched by the Magpies at its blockbuster match against the Cats on Friday night.

O'Brien said he was keen to push the message that knives ruin lives after seeing first-hand the consequences blades can have.

"I witnessed my first stabbing when I was 12 years of age at a skate park," O'Brien said.

"I saw how quickly something can turn into a tragedy. The greatest form of self defence is having the power to walk away."

The campaign coincides with news that 810 knives and dangerous weapons were surrendered to police during its amnesty last month - an increase of 78 per cent on last year's amnesty.

At least 90,000 people are expected to attend the Knives Scar Lives game, with hundreds of thousands more to watch the live telecast.

Acting Premier Rob Hulls said the Pies had joined an important cause.

"This is a significant partnership that will go a long way towards changing the perception that carrying a knife offers some form of self defence," Mr Hulls said.

"Too many young people see knives as defensive weapons or think carrying a knife somehow makes them cool."

Police Minister Bob Cameron said Victoria Police's weapons amnesty in April saw 810 dangerous knives and weapons handed to police.

He said the increase in weapons surrended compared to a similar amnesty last year was good news.

"This means more dangerous weapons are off the street and out of harm's way," he said.
So listen up y'all Americans, you dont need guns or knives to defend yourself, you just need to walk away.

Reading the "knife section" of the herald sun at the moment is very interesting (and rage inducing actually), their pictures of "recovered weapons" are full of screwdrivers and scissors.

I am definitely fleeing this country ASAP.

I have obviously been schooled wrong for this country anyway, cos I always thought a 12 gauge shotgun was a much better form of defense than walking away...

·
Errrrr
5,680 Posts
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/co...-knives-campaign/story-e6frf7jo-1225868666083

So listen up y'all Americans, you dont need guns or knives to defend yourself, you just need to walk away.

Reading the "knife section" of the herald sun at the moment is very interesting (and rage inducing actually), their pictures of "recovered weapons" are full of screwdrivers and scissors.

I am definitely fleeing this country ASAP.

I have obviously been schooled wrong for this country anyway, cos I always thought a 12 gauge shotgun was a much better form of defense than walking away...
relocate to the southern united states. :)

·
Registered
9,233 Posts
As a Brit I totally agree. The best thing is infact not to put yourself in a area of danger in the first place, but that can be hard for some.

It takes a bigger person to walk away! This doesnt stop you calling for help on the mobile phone, or making notes as a credible witness.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As a Brit I totally agree. The best thing is infact not to put yourself in a area of danger in the first place, but that can be hard for some.

It takes a bigger person to walk away! This doesnt stop you calling for help on the mobile phone, or making notes as a credible witness.
I suggest you visit your nearest hospital, find the closest stabbing/rape victims, and tell them they are weak for not "walking away".

I agree you shouldn't purposely put yourself in harms way, but seriously, what % of murder/rape/assault victims do you think had the option of "walking away"

Rape in particular isnt something I think happens because a girl "starts something up" with the guy across the road very often if you know what I mean.

·
Deus exsisto laus
3,963 Posts
I don't know who this man is that saw someone stabbed at 12 years old,but I'm sure it was a traumatic experience for him. Sounds like he needs some professional counciling.Nonetheless, it was at a skate park, probably just a fight that got out of hand,as sometimes does with boys. Walking away would have been a good option when the argument was over what skateboard was the coolest. Conflict avoidance is always the best option,naturally. Sometimes,not everyday,but sometimes, trouble comes looking for you in the most unexpected places. Criminals don't play fair,y'know. Walking away will be difficult with a knife in your back. That's why we have hand guns. I really don't understand how the Aussies have let their government get so out of control. TP

·
Condense the nonsense
1,829 Posts
Wow, I can't even begin to fathom the ridiculousness of why someone would actually be blaming knives for stabbing people. So much so, that they would want to outlaw all knives by launching an "anti-knife" campaign. What a friggin' joke. :rolleyes: A large portion of self defense scenarios don't afford you the luxury of simply "walking away". I'd like to see this Harry O'Brien guy nonchalantly walk away from a home invasion.

·
I'll bring the rope.
1,354 Posts
Self Defense: Sacred and Immutable

I fully believe that as Americans, who have breathed the sweet air of liberty and freedom in the past, are more evolved when it comes to the topic of the right to self defense compared to England.

When I saw the headline I thought "Hey, that's a noble and mature worldview that allows a man to do that", but concluded that when it is part of the British mode, it's simply part and parcel of the surrender monkey mentality.

The right to self defense is enumerated in the Bible, and is a fundamental aspect of our Western Canon of morality. It is part of our Social Compact: If you don't **** with anyone, they have no right to **** with you. But if they do **** with you, all bets are off, and you may legally F*** their S*** up. That simple concept, when applied consistantly across society, influences folks to behave in a civilized manner. Viewed from that angle it is a fundamental cornerstone of our culture.

It is the stick behind the phrase "Live and let live".

In places where Western thought never took hold, like Iraq, the worldview of the common man is radically different because of their lack of this concept in their society. Instead you get blood feuds, resprisal killings, reprisal rape, blah blah blah.

·
Spunky Curmudgeon
1,310 Posts
If the enemy doesn't know you're there, then walk away. If they are an enemy that is aware of you, then you need to eliminate the threat. Simple survival.

Reactions: IceFire

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
While I agree that walking away is the safest way to deal with a confrontation, it's not always possible. Often a conflict is caused by 2 egos and the situation escalates. But there are a lot of other times where it's caused by a predator and the victim doesn't have the option to just suck up their pride and walk off. These are the times that having a weapon can be the difference between life and death.

·
Sell crazy someplace else
2,534 Posts

You Brits crack me up. You rape, pillage the world for centuries and you want to talk about being the bigger person. I'm not a student of world history but I can say without a doubt that your country is responsible for 10's of millions of dead and a huge portion of the world's problems today can be traced back to your wonderful country. Why don't you try to take notes or call for help when you are being held up on the street or your house is broken in to.

By the way, how is your gun ban working on reducing crime in your country?

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
Sins of the Fathers, eh crazy?

The original idea sounds like a great description for de-escalating the force continuum

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
for self defense i like to have a pretty girl with me, if anyone threatens me i offer her to them in exchange for my safety.

wait a minute, if your in the UK, there are CCTV cameras EVERYWHERE. you will never need to be afraid cuz if someone threatens or attacks you the police will see it and swoop in to save you!

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
I agree with the best selfe defence is to avoid possibly dangerous situations/areas but if someone has gone from hostile intent to hostile action its time to add him to the garden

Reactions: homesteader1
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.