Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
The Westerner
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being the gray man, is being as inconspicious as possible, not standing out from the crowd. A gray man can walk through a crowd, and people will hardly even realize he passed through.

It's a little hard to do this at a shooting range, but I try. I don't shoot my AR-15's, or my M1A's at a public range. I take them out in the desert, trying to be as inconsicious as possible.

Now that my Mini guns are starting to look a little conspicious with their Leupold scopes and other accoutrements, I have stopped shooting them at public ranges too.

How many of you consciously practice being the gray man when you are out and about, away from your home?

What is your defiition of being the gray man, and how do you go about it?

Do you walk around all camo'ed up, or, do you do like me. I wear a ratty old pair of Levis, sneakers and a t-shirt. Probably only a couple of notches above the homeless look, when I am around town.

In the high desert, I shoot on three ranches, with permission, where I try to stop Coyotes from harassing the ranchers live stock. I pick stands (hides) from where I can, inconspiciously as possible, either call coyotes in, or observe their actions around live stock.

A place where I can safely shoot from. These people, the ranchers and local area law enforcement, are used to seeing me in camo clothing there, which helps me stay unobserved by the coyotes.

One sheriffs deputy even bums the coyote tails from me.

These ranchers love me...

I'm not standing out from the crowd, I'm doing and acting like a hunter, without standing out from the norm of people doing, what I am doing.

I don't wear base ball style caps with firearms logos on them. Even out in the country, I try to be as low profle as possible.

Bill

·
Registered
2 Posts
As a Southern Californian, I try my best to be the grey man as well. I also try to act like the typical Sheeple here.

I wear ordinary cloths full of lackluster and try not to look intimidating. This is a bit dificult when you are 6'4 and on the husky side.

I lack flash and try and not make eye contact with the general public. When I am in group meetings @ work, I try to answer in short complete sentences without letting my aquatences know what i am about. I have found that people that are not preppers or gun people have a tendancy to judge and then talk to others about what you are about. Also Family members that are not like minded gossip, which can be a bad thing for blending in.

Blending in may be the only way to survive if there is a crash, callapse, or WROL.

Stay safe....

·
Registered
183 Posts
To me, a gray man is, as you said, one that could walk in and out of a crowd and not be noticed. They are quiet, blend into the background of a mob, and fit the "average" look. Of course, a lot of it is dependent on how well your physical description fits the average description of your social surroundings.

Being 6'3 and 220 lbs and sporting a full head of hair (beard included), it is hard to blend into any crowd, regardless of where it is. However, I do try to not call attention to myself. I usually look straight ahead, or down, or any direction that doesn't imply I am actually looking at anything in particular. I try to look zoned out while still trying to maintain alertness as to what is happening around me. I also keep very quiet, well poised, medium walk, and try not to let my footsteps make noise. Of course, as I mentioned before, someone that is 6'3 and looks like they just got off the mountain sort of stands out, regardless of how hard I try not to, and regardless of what my intentions are. If they don't think you are a brutish mountain man, they definitely think you are planning on raping them.

·
What Would *I* Do?
119 Posts
I'm 6'2", 220 lbs and I've got no problem blending in. I dress to my occasion, avoiding logos and designs. My Maxpedition Versipack is another story. It's khaki and sticks out like a sore thumb. Any suggestions for a CCW shoulder bag that doesn't stick out as much?

·
The Westerner
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm 6'2", 220 lbs and I've got no problem blending in. I dress to my occasion, avoiding logos and designs. My Maxpedition Versipack is another story. It's khaki and sticks out like a sore thumb. Any suggestions for a CCW shoulder bag that doesn't stick out as much?
Get a black bag of some type.

Or, get a REI day pack that is in blue or green.

Bill

·
Registered
343 Posts
I lindens concept of the Grey Man but trust me nobody cares. You go to a gun range but don't shoot all your guns? No one cares. This isn't personnal. No one cares about what wear or shoot either. I don't go around bragging about how I just bought another 1000 round nose 230 grain .45's, or how excited I am that I got my soup storage back up to 50 cases. But trust me, no one cares. They don't pay attension unless it's American Idol.

·
Closed for the Season.
15,784 Posts
Yep, the good old NBC rule. No Body Cares....
It would seem that way but I have seen several times people recall things about something you said or did that will amaze you. It is not for nothing that police can use a forensic artist that make up a sketch of a criminal suspect from a Witness description.

·
Registered
22,057 Posts
I lindens concept of the Grey Man but trust me nobody cares. You go to a gun range but don't shoot all your guns? No one cares. This isn't personnal. No one cares about what wear or shoot either. I don't go around bragging about how I just bought another 1000 round nose 230 grain .45's, or how excited I am that I got my soup storage back up to 50 cases. But trust me, no one cares. They don't pay attension unless it's American Idol.
I tend to agree with this sentiment. At the gun range, gray man is unnecessary. I don't know about you but around here lots of people have ar-15s and AK47's.

Reactions: BJJ_Grappler

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
Get a black bag of some type.

Or, get a REI day pack that is in blue or green.

Bill
Agreed. Any ccw shoulder bag screams ccw shoulder bag. Conceal your pistol under normal clothing. If you need a bag for other stuff, the REI daypack in blue is a great idea. Get a dark primary color and it will appear black at night. You can get a camo or dark green rain cover for it if you need something to blend into the terrain. You'll almost never use the raincover in normal everyday use, so if it looks a limitless tactical, it won't make any difference.

Az

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
I go to a public range 40 miles away at a wma out in the country when I shoot military, suppressed, or anything out of the ordinary. If anyone notices, they won't have any clue who I am or where I came from. And I would notice if someone tried to follow me that far home.

I only use the local range for occasional handgun practice.

For the most part, no one cares. But every now and then I do see people at the range that seem to be very interested in people's artillery. Probably just friendly and curious, but you never know.

Az

·
Got to keep on keepin on
1,648 Posts
Being "gray" would have it's time & place, but as a way of life - doesn't sound like much of a life.

Y'all can't look a person in the eye, smile and say "morning! " to a stranger?
That sounds pretty much like my SIL's family down in LA.
That pretty much sucks, to me.
Can't let someone know what you think/believe 'cause "it might raise your profile"? Wow.

Jmtc, but 'grayness" is about blending in as well as not standing out, while similar they're not the same.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
It's easy to look gray when most of your hair's that color. The old jeans, etc are my normal comfort clothes anyway and most people don't notice what they see as an "old man". I think it's a subconscious issue with them and works to my benefit. It's that way most of the time here unless I'm around local hispanics, who seem to stare at everybody (probably because this place is now a haven for illegals and I guess they're spooked about getting caught).

I agree with the thought that you also have to live your life like you live in a free country. We're only serfs if we let them turn us into them. There are plenty of sheep and lefties to avoid everywhere but maybe the places where others live are worse.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
If you want to save some money- no need to get a new pack. Get some tan or drab green spray paint, tape off areas you don't want painted, and just paint your pack a different color. Make it two-tone. Works just fine.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,569 Posts
I tend to dress bland. I have a scruffy, working class look about me that's boring and easy to overlook. But I don't do it for OPSEC or to be a gray man. That's more important after the SHTF than before. I do it because I despise interacting with strangers. And going unnoticed helps with that.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts