Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
BM2 Hollywood
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This movie should be seen by everybody in California ASAP. In fact, everybody should see this, no matter what state. I wonder, are we going to repeat history were Americans abuse other Americans? We have had such a historical record on this.

Christ, the future looks dark.

This could go in so many ways...

I hope if I ever bump into someone from the Gulf, that I will be a respectful and honorable person, least I need help one day also.

My best wishes to you all that live in that area that are facing the approaching clouds

Reactions: Beatupoldcop

·
Registered
224 Posts
OH that so true. Classic book. The movie is a classic too. Both were done at the end of the great depression (late 30's early 40's) So yes there is a movie but its like 70 years old now. And yes I believe this is how the Gulf will turn out. I think its inevitable. Just look at what happened after Katrina. People were ****ed at all the refugees...I live in TX and we still have unemployed drifters from Katrina.

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,887 Posts
In highschool the book was required reading.

I have seen the movie multiple times.

Being from California, my grandparents [both sets] and parents all experienced it for themselves.

Growing up on a farm in the Central Valley, every adult I knew was an 'Okie' and nearly every kid I knew was the child of Okies.

They used Petro-Chem Fertilizers on the soil to increase production and the produce prices dropped. So they borrowed money from the banks to buy tractors and seed and more petrochem fertilizers. Increased harvests drove the prices down more.

The salt residue [left over from the fertilizers] built-up to levels that very few plants could withstand, and then a long-term drought hit the region. Which caused the Dust-Bowl. The top foot of soil had lost all micro-organisms and all plants had died from the salt poison, so nothing was in place to hold the soil. After three years without rain, high winds came and lifted the top foot of soil into the air and blew it away.

The banks crashed, mortgage companies had lawyers foreclosing on the farms and the sheriffs did the evicting.

Both of my grandfathers and most of my uncles all tried getting work in Canada, but it was seasonal. Cousins all moved in with each other and tried to make do.

Finally they all moved West. My grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins and my parents. My parents were early teens when they got to California and began picking in the fields.

You may need to draw a picture for me, but I do not see how oil on the coast will cause anything like the Grapes of Wrath.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I believe the OP is envisioning all the retirees and the other people living around the coast having to get in their cars and leave.

I read the post and had the fear that this might inclue my in-laws who are on the gulf coast near Tampa. That would not be a fun situation.

Some of the more alarming projections of the oil situation does invole evacuations, especially if hurricanes become involved. The many many stories about news censorship of how bad it is there does not help.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Well, you got the 9/11 attack in 2001, Katrina in 2005, and the Gulf Coast oil spill in 2010, plus many other hurricanes and floods in the US in between. All this adds up to psychological stress so that, people will simply stop spending, which will be a real killer for the economy.

Another blow to the economy is right now. The baby boomers are starting to retire, and realizing they didn't save as much as they needed for retirement. Social Security will not cover all their bills, so THEY start holding onto their money too and stop spending.

The current "recession" is the worst second only to the Great Depression. Look at the facts, unemployment, foreclosures, bank failures, lack of regulation, you can see some eerie parallels between now and the 1930s.

Now add to the mix ANOTHER tax by Obama (the Health Care tax), which further stifles growth and spending, which puts ANOTHER burden on the consumer.

It does not look good. I don't think it's TEOTWAKI, but this recession will continue for another 3-4 years.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Bit of Trivia: Dust bowl Okies

I have more than a couple of Dust Bowl Okies in the family tree.
What is not mentioned is the reason they were all headed for California.
See, there was once a time that Democrats believed a job, any job, was better than welfare. So FDR kicked out the illegals to make jobs for Americans.
But today's Democrats and liberal Republicans (and Libertarians too) want to make all the illegals citizens and plug them into the .gov teat with freebies and welfare.
And they wonder why we are going broke?

·
I have control issues
6,120 Posts
My Mom's family were "Dust Bowl Okies", as well. And yeah, they ALSO settled in the San Joaquin Valley in Callifornia (oops, sorry, NOW they're calling it the "Central Valley", but when I was growing up, it was always called the San Joaquin Valley--when DID they change that?)

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Yeah, I was just reading on how states do not have the legal right to challenge the govt's ability to collect taxes and that is exactly how the health care bill is being referred to by the crooks in office. It's not about health care at all. It's just a scheme to make every worker in the US a slave to the govt itself. Instead of reigning in big pharma and their crooked schemes to control food, water, and medicine, it's the exact opposite. Reign the people in under tighter and tighter control while touting the care of your health.
Like I said, the people who control the money give a fig for who's in office. Little people will soon be disposable people.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts