Survivalist Forum banner

The Good Old MAGLITE

Tags
maglite
22K views 34 replies 14 participants last post by  BJJ_Grappler 
#1 ·
I'm a fan of the Maglite. Have been since i was 12 and saw my Mums 6' 5" boyfriend take a 6D out of his Pajero to see off an angry motorist.

They're just made for hittin stuff and i reckon there is no finer non-lethal home and vehicle defensive weapon.

Now technology has come a long way since 1979 and for a little while there it looked like the end for the Maglite. They were slow to adopt LED bulb tech and the fashion became the ultrabright little pocket flashlights. Dont get me wrong i own little 345 lumen Nitecore and they are great for personal SD, but nothing says 'dont touch my stuff' like smack in the head with a big piece of black steel.

Maglite finaly woke up a while ago and started making LED versions of their flashlights and there are plenty of other companies making after market bulbs , switches and attachments nowadays too.

So to start the thread i'm gonna post a youtube destruction test done by some very naughty boys.

#9 ·
Maglites are an essential part of my gear hear at The Ol' Homestead. I have two - a 2 D cell and a 2AA cell Mini Maglite.
I have outfitted the big one with a zenon bulb and when the wife and I go out at night to put up the chickens and tend to the horses, that zenon bulb throws a tightly focused, bright white light 250+ feet. Perfect for sweeping the pasture and wood lines for beady little predator eyes. Easy to hold a double barrel shotgun in one hand, maglite in the other, and if need be I can (and have) grasp the forearm and light with the one hand and fire. Not sure if I could work a pumpgun that way, never tried. It can be used in conjunction with a pistol as well.
The Mini has been fitted with an LED and tail switch and I use that in the chicken enclosures.
I can hold in in my mouth and have both hands free for fastening latches, coop doors, gates, etc.
I'd be lost without my Maglites.

#15 ·
Yeah the big ones are a little heavy for carrying around day to day. Good for the car or next to the bed for those 'bumps in the night' though.

Say, you're a copper. Do you know of any good baton/flashlight defensive tactics vids you could post here? I've been looking for some on youtube that i saw years ago that were great, but cant find them now. Ray floro had a great one... gotta find it.

#22 ·
Every year Lowes has a xmas sale on LED 2 Dcell maglites, like 15.99, and every I've bought two every year for the last three years, great gifts!

Maglite makes a great product. My brother in law was hunting in Maine, and dropped his 2 D in a small river he was fording, he couldn't find it after a few minutes so he moved on, the next year he crossed at roughly the same spot, and found it! A year under water and it still worked!

Now thats a good product!

#25 ·
The Mag is the best, full sized flashlight around. Period. Before the LED Maglight came out, and they just used the standard bulb, for some reason the spot to flood wouldn't adjust to my liking on them. So...I would do a quick fix that worked everytime. I'd skip the Maglight across a parking lot. Sounds crazy but it works.

For a defensive tool though....the 6C model was the best. The problem with the D sized lights is the grip is so large that any amount of moisture on your hands while striking something will cause it to go flying. If you can still find them....a C model is your best bet.

#27 ·
All I have ever got to play with was a torch or a bat. I found that simplicity was the best. Hold one end and hit with the other. And we were the same we had to hit for the arms or legs. Although I have done snap cuts to the chest.

I dont like having the bat over the shoulder I think it is too easily blocked and taken off you. Especially if someone comes up from behind.

And I dont like grappling with one becuase I found I was fighing for the torch more often than not.
But if you do want to go for it. then Thai grapple. Hammerlock and double leg would be the highest percentage.

Double underhooks and whatever that back bend throw is called would work a treat too.

All of these put the torch behind the peson you are trying to grab.

#34 ·
I carried a Mag while working nightshift for years , It's bulky and a headache if your bending , stooping or climbing , On a few rare occasions it can even hurt you if worn on a duty belt . It's never where you wanted it be if you have to run, It just gets in the way .. Having said that ,

I switched to the ASP baton and a pelican LED flashlite , The ASP is almost a complete waste of money where I am , It gets gets pulled out durring searches where i don't want to touch the towel etc .. to see whats underneath it . It is however lighter than a mag and compact enough that it won't impair your ability to sprint .

The ASP sucks at busting car windows compared to the Mag unless you get a super heavy ASP ... but when everything is taken into account , They both have thier place .

The sweat and slippery hands thing was overcome on the mags out here by using , " Fuzzy Tape " Every officer had one so we put tape of differnt colors on the handles in different places , One or two pieces became our own bar code . Helped in knowing whos mag you took home after the fact because people owned several of them and constantly left them all over the place .. LOL , I own at least 7

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.