Survivalist Forum banner
381 - 391 of 391 Posts

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
Handgun is the hardest to train....safety, manipulation, shhoting, accuracy. Its the last I train ppl in. 22 rifle is the first. I build thier experience and confidence up to handgun. But it is the first bought, the first in utility and concielability.

·
Premium Member
3,431 Posts
The point I made is even when someone is 'right on top of you and clearly brandishing a gun' your right to self defense is not assured.

So thinking you can justify shooting (at) someone 100 yds away by claiming you saw a gun in his hand is a slam dunk on justifiable use of force is perilous to your liberty in the extreme.

Prison is full of people who thought they were legal eagles amd wound up getting their wings trimmed.

But you do you.
prisons are full of people true. Name one that is there because of a self defense shooting against an attacker armed with a gun at 100 yards because a DA convinced a jury that the distance invalidated self defense ? Name one court case where this strategy has ever even been tried by a DA.

·
Adventurer
1,067 Posts
My opinion on guns and which ones you should own.... In order of importance:

1. 22lr pistol - can be used by everyone in the family....... You should see my 11 year old daughter tagging steel targets with hers.

2. 9mm semi auto handgun..... I personally prefer revolvers but I’m a weird dude who likes old fashioned things. A small to midsized semi auto can serve many purposes.....With better effectiveness than a revolver.

3. AR15. - The Swiss Army knife of rifles

4. PUMP shotgun...... Get a pump action before getting an auto loader.

I would argue as a prepper that a bolt action rifle should be low on the list...... Just above black powder rifles. That being said, I own 3 bolt guns and love them.

·
Originalist
1,266 Posts
I guess you can make the argument that some people spend their time in situations that a long gun can be readily available, but the point is that even those people who live in rural areas are going to encounter situations in which carrying a rifle is inappropriate. That basically the premise of the first gun being a handgun, is because it can be carried in nearly all situations.

Going to the grocery store, hardware store, bank, farming co-op, church, etc. are, for many people, regular occurrences that aren't going to be a great fit for a rifle. Carrying a rifle while using heavy equipment is going to be much more trouble than it's worth and even dangerous in some situations. There is no replacement for the ability to carry a handgun on your person.

I mean, there are exceptions to everything, and if happen to be some individual who never is in a situation where a rifle is prohibitive to carry, then I guess you're right. If you're the other 99.9% of people, then the supposition of a handgun for first gun makes a lot of sense.

Your argument is based on the premise someone cannot readily carry a rifle in his current or likely surroundings.

If someone lives in an urban environment and daily activities require him to be out of the home, then sure, a concealable handgun probably makes the best sense.

If living in a rural area or planning for the Zombie Apcalypse, a rifle wins the day.

That's based on the capabillty of the 'one gun' vs. the ability of the shooter.

·
Originalist
1,266 Posts
prisons are full of people true. Name one that is there because of a self defense shooting against an attacker armed with a gun at 100 yards because a DA convinced a jury that the distance invalidated self defense ? Name one court case where this strategy has ever even been tried by a DA.
I'll be happy to as soon as you post a documented situation (no charges filed, charges dropped, acquittal) of a successful >= 100 yard defense.

·
Originalist
1,266 Posts
While I understand your premise, I don't think it's ever too late to exercise your right to defensed yourself.

If the first gun you can legally buy is your first gun, it's probably too late.
Some adult should have bought a rifle for you when you were 10-12 years old.
That way, by the time you're old enough to legally purchase a gun, you would have a clue about how to use and handle it properly.
(Just my opinion after watching idjits at the gun store.)

·
Premium Member
3,431 Posts
I'll be happy to as soon as you post a documented situation (no charges filed, charges dropped, acquittal) of a successful >= 100 yard defense.
we do not have range data on DGUs not prosecuted. We do not have any data DGUs when no charges are filed. We do have range data on those that are.

that said the UT tower shooter was shot at ( suppressive fire ) by armed citizens helping police. The tower is 307 feet tall so those distances where likely a ways over 100 yards.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
For me it was a Smith & Wesson 686 .357 Magnum and a Remington 870 Super Magnum 12 Gauge pump. (This was back when Remington made good stuff.)
Jeez, I was poor and misinformed. I had a Mossberg bolt action 20 gauge, then a Marlin bolt action 22, then a handgun. A Ruger single action 22. Lot of part-time work in high school to pay for ‘em. Different times.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Not my first gun but the first one I bought was a bolt action Mossberg 20 ga. in1966.
My mom took me to Montgomery Ward. I was 15, picked out the one I wanted, mom signed the paperwork while I counted out my money. Guy behind the counter didn’t bat an eye. Maybe that kind of thing was legal in 1974? Legal enough, I guess, in a small town.

381 - 391 of 391 Posts