Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hows it going every one. Im a new prepper and im loving this site. I work over nights so I need something to help pass the time. I can t think of anything better then my new hobby. So what im asking from every one is if you had to pick one prepper book what witch would it be?? Witch ever book gets the most replies will be my first read. I also wanna give a BIG THANKS to every one on this site for keeping the info up to help inform every one wanting to learn.:thumb:

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,105 Posts
Depends on what type of preparing you're considering. For self sufficiency type preps, the Foxfire series and Carla Emery's Encyclopedia of Country Living are phenomenal. I've worn out several copies over the years.

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
13,836 Posts
There are so many differnt ones out there. Are you wanting fiction, basic how to's?
but here are a few you might like.

Dare to Prepare,
The Foxfire Book series,
Encyclopedia of Country Living
Patriots
The Road

Reactions: MTShawn

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Survivalist family is a good source of info if you're a family guy. by Joe Fox

The urban survival guide by David Morris is also good. There's 2 you can start with,there are many good ones,some not so good.

I also recommend the SAS survival guide by John Wiseman it's a revised edition of an earlier version. Have fun learning and stock up some beans and bullets and rice...:thumb:

·
Registered
75 Posts
There are so many good ones out there but if I had to choose one for a new prepper/survivalist, it would be the Boy Scout's handbook. If you haven't read one recently, you will be shocked at how much useful information is in one.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'd recommend The Doctor Prepper's Making the Best of the Basics, Family Preparedness Handbook, by James Talmage Stevens. This book has a TON of information! For fiction, I'd recommend One Second After by William Forstchen.

DL

·
Registered
259 Posts
One (SHTF/WROL/TEOTWAWKI) survival book = The Ranger Handbook.

(served me well in three situations: 1989-2007 and numerous US Army schools...and, of course, a special nod to the US Army S.E.R.E School manual too...)

And, if you can store .pdf (Kindle Fire) / have room in the pack: the Special Forces Handbook for a second/higher/take it to the next level of survival knowledge and knowledge of building/rebuilding...

(3rd prize: the SAS handbook - although Wiseman's latest SAS Handbook, illustrated, is not bad, even above par, for the edible/medicinal plants section with pictures and the new pockt version, even if the tactics et al. are eurotrash)...if you have space/storage get the three/four of the best as a trilogy or: {quadrilogy?} known on survival, get 'em all!) - use at your discretion...

Also:
SunTzu: The Art of War
Musashi: The Book of Five Rings
LTC Grossman: On Killing

(and, after you get all pumped up on that "hoorah, I'm Invincible" shiznit.... ...don't get me wrong: I still subscribe to all of the above...)

BUT, for more practical matters:

The Encyclopedia of Country Living (10th Edition)
The Complete Foxfire Series
Peterson" Guides (edible plants et al.)
Where there is No Doctor (from: Werner, Maxwell and Thuman)
Where there is No Dentist (from: ****son)

So, there are some starters....good stuff!!!

Juss my thoughts...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Right here on the"boards". Angry Americans, "Going home". Read this first, it"ll get your head right. P.S. you going to enjoy it for its "book value". I promise!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I recommend One Second After Too

It is eye-opening reading. It is fiction but it goes into some quite educational scenarios. It is kind of like a primer :) And...good to hand out to loved ones and people you wish to understand your prepping. It will also dispell some myths.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Dare to Prepare
The Encyclopedia of Country Living

for fiction I love:
Alas Babylon ~ oldie but goodie
One Second After
77 Days in September

1 - 20 of 47 Posts