Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
33,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll assume you have prepped, and your in good shape with food, water/purification, first aid, radio, generator, guns & ammo, fuel etc....you've done your homework and your ready for at least 12 solid Months or more of what could be...hell on earth!!

After the first 7-10 days you notice neighbors are beginning to gather in small groups, you go over to see whats going on. Several people are talking about putting what food they have in one large storage area so everything can be divided equally, you notice the ones making those suggestions have very little or nothing to offer.

You like the idea on banning together for the security reasons, but you also fear not joining the group could give them the idea to raid you, especially after they slowly discover you might have a large supply of food and supplies.

What do you do?

(note: for people planning to bug-in at home)

·
Prepared Gourmet
2,964 Posts
Not sure I would be 'wandering over to talk to those people' in the first place (especially that soon after TSHTF).

Though I am a very nice and, I think, helpful person, I am a 'tough love'-r when it comes to those who are too lazy or stupid to take care of themselves first, and if that type of person comprised the most vocal about 'putting all our supplies together', I might just quietly whisper to those who I know had taken care of themselves that we might want to be very quiet about exact amounts of what we had. Some people just want to take advantage of others - and frankly I am a bit sick of that. If they had made any effort at all, I would be more sympathetic.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I hang out at the retreat, taking my turns at guard duty, And eating some good food.. Won’t be going out doing any random visiting if I see the neighbors out and about.. We really don’t have any close neighbors not within 3 miles any way.. If you are going it alone it would make good sense to try and band together for protection and also to scavenge for food and supplies though.

·
Molon Labe, Psalm 109:8
1,299 Posts
I would tell them that my family has__(insert contagious disease here) and that I don't feel all that well either and that we are gonna quarantine ourselves to prevent infecting any of our good neighbors. Then I might put a quarantine sign made out of a bedshet with a skull and crossbones painted on it for a dramatic effect and wait until my unprepared neighbors die of starvation or kill each other, that is if I had any close by neighbors anyway. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
I'd commit a reasonable amount to the community, but hold onto the rest. Stipulate that the pooled resources would be distributed to those who contribute in some way to the good of the community.

I would resist any attempts to pool all resources.
Not surprising - jerry hit it on the head :thumb:.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I would tell them that my family has__(insert contagious disease here) and that I don't feel all that well either and that we are gonna quarantine ourselves to prevent infecting any of our good neighbors. Then I might put a quarantine sign made out of a bedshet with a skull and crossbones painted on it for a dramatic effect and wait until my unprepared neighbors die of starvation or kill each other, that is if I had any close by neighbors anyway. :thumb:
LMAO,

You need to research a disease that gives people fat bellies and rosie cheeks while everyone else is pale and gaunt!

·
Prepared in NH
12,866 Posts
Day # 1:
Dear Journal, today, TSHTF......I eagerly ran down to the basement armory room (I am not sure if my feet actually hit any steps), and hurridly dug up the outfit that I have been waiting so long to wear....

;):upsidedown:

·
I drink your milkshake!
1,850 Posts
I'd commit a reasonable amount to the community, but hold onto the rest. Stipulate that the pooled resources would be distributed to those who contribute in some way to the good of the community.

I would resist any attempts to pool all resources.
I have a question about that Jerry, or anyone who agrees with you. This is meant sincerely as a question, not contention. If people realize that you have enough to contribute a little for the greater good, how soon do you think they will be at your door asking for more? For that matter, when that does happen, how do you plan to resist their efforts to take your preps? Actively? Firearms? Or will you step aside eventually and let them take it all?

I'm with you on the community idea and helping others, obviously to a point. I'm not willing to give anything right off the bat.

·
Sam Adams was right....
9,381 Posts
Jerry wrote in one of his stories about anonymously giving... at night... under cover... might be a better way...

·
Super Moderator
12,201 Posts
onemoreday:

It would be a staged response, I believe. Firmer refusals to give more while I provide close cooperation with those that are giving and receiving equitably to solidify my position in the community. If push comes to shove and the others don't lend a hand, an armed response.

I do prefer the anonymous method, but the question was asking about a direct response.

·
some strange Nordic man
1,103 Posts
There would be lawlessness for however long it took me to become a local warlord. Then I would set up the Grand Duchy of Chachney, and our banner would display the magnificent weevil of Chachney. Oh, and I suppose I'd have to do things like make sure the communities and such were okay, find an power plant and get it running, set up utilities, you know. Boring administration stuff. I'd probably have to draft up some laws or something, the usual things. Like, "don't kill people," or, "don't steal things." Stuff like that, and then set up a police force so if bad things did go down, they could be called. Of course, they would all have a really cool arm band, or maybe a shoulder patch with a ferocious weevil on it.

Yeah, the most awesome part would be I could put weevils on everything.

BEHOLD!
THE MAGNIFICENT WEEVIL OF CHACHNEY.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
my basic plan is to lay low and then come into town about a month after something happens part of the plan is not to shave for a few days before going into town and not take a shower at least couple of days before and do a little work out to really get the body smelling bad and then put on some dirty cloths and go into town then to see what happens ..

and take a look around with a sidearm under the shirt to protect me if need be and a rifle in the truck just in case ..try and talk to the some of the people here and there about what is happening and what is going on around the areas ..

1 - 20 of 114 Posts