Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I never thought about female survival, which is odd. i was always thinking about myself. But a real man, takes care of his female aswell and i think when youre in the bush, the little things can boost your morale greatly. so if you have the knowledge to surprise your wife in the bush, with stuff that make her feel pretty, she gets an morale boost and because of that, you'll get one too! so, i did some research and thinking and i came up with a few things:

- use charcoal from your fireplace to create eyeliner
- mix ash with animal fat, to create mascara
- Mesh Flowers, which smell nice, and squeeze the juice out for parfme
- squeeze oil out of seeds and nuts, for skinbalm
- Aloe is always nice for hair and skin, if you are able to find it.
- for your period, use skins or pads of moss, dont you start inserting tampon-like things, cause you'll never know what kind of gross infections you can get from them.
- you can make a perfect ring from bones, it's a strong material which you can easily carf. rings always work well, dont know why... :p
- you can make perfect hairbands from the willow bark, they remain flexibla and can help your hair-do.
- you can make bracelets by brading different kinds of bark together.

these are the things i could come up with. i hope there are more people with ideas, cause they might come in handy one day :p post them here and from this day, the bush might be paradise for women.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Wow. You've got some great ideas here. I am not talented enough yet to come up with these ideas but I'll tell you a problem I have wondered about. Conditioner? I have very curly, thick hair and without conditioner I can forget combing it after a bath. I sure hope someone comes up with a suggestion for the ladies to make our hair softer. Thank you, Roeland for thinking of these things.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
well. maybe you can wear it short- or opt for a sweet afro.

·
Registered
784 Posts
well from my experience with wood is that it does dry out, so yeah it will break at the most inopertune time. as for that time of the month, i dont think that leather will be the best thing to use. try wool, and other absorbant things

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Wow. You've got some great ideas here. I am not talented enough yet to come up with these ideas but I'll tell you a problem I have wondered about. Conditioner? I have very curly, thick hair and without conditioner I can forget combing it after a bath. I sure hope someone comes up with a suggestion for the ladies to make our hair softer. Thank you, Roeland for thinking of these things.

Hair conditioner! well, its funny you mention that, because i was researching that part a little aswel, but i didnt came up with a full proof way to produce it, but here is what i found out about that.
it seems that hair conditioning is something female's have done for over centuries. offcourse the ways they used are far from the perfection of the mebeline or loreal products we have now days. but, all you have to do in survival situations is adapt your expectations. The females from 1000 years ago, used oils from nuts to soften their hair. a disadvantage is that your hair is greasy as hell, but you can wash that out for a good part, but hot water isnt falling from the sky in the woods. a second way, and this one is a little better, but takes some preperation, is to put some fruits in a container of water and let it ferment. you know, like youre producing alcohol. after a while, you can smell it when alcohol has been created inside and when it is, you can wash youre hair with it. still, it comes nowhere close to the loreal conditioner, but it'll do. once again, just adapt your expectations to the things you are ABLE to produce. okay and for the last way, that will definetly work, but the resources are quite tricky. this is what you'll need"
advocado
lavender
olives
just throw in the advocado fruit, mesh it up. do the same thing with the lavender, for the nice smell obviously, and the olives fine oil makes your hair having the time of its life. this will work for certain and its very good for your hair. you can even do this at home, just buy an advocado, pick some lavender from the neighbours yard and throw in some olive oil, let it in for 30 minutes and wash it out. i never tried it, but im sure it works, if you feel like trying it out, i would love to hear your experience :)

oh to timber runner: i didnt ment the leather, but more the fur part of the skin, it's an indian method, the skin was washed and reused. i'm not to sure what you mean with the wood thing though.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Witch hazel has been used for centuries for rough hands and other uses. As for moss...moss is antibacterial -- a good rough place to clean cooking utensils -- and sphagnum moss is very sterile and can be used out of the bog to make a water filter. Dried it is extremely absorbent.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
I will try this Roeland and let you know. Thank you very much. Dwind, I already thought out that I'd have to cut my hair because it's very thick and I'd imagine washing it would be a pain and then there's lice and ticks! Not happy about that but hey, it's of little importance in the whole scheme of things. I doubt I'd be using the electric curlers or curling iron anyway! I do wonder how many of us would be running around the woods with tin cans for curlers though - maybe held in place with clothes pins? hehehe Silly, I know but hey, we gotta laugh once in a while.

Thank you for this, Roeland. It's wonderful that you would consider females like this. I don't plan to head for the woods unless I absolutely have to but knowing how to have just a little of my "girlie" things will feel like heaven, I'm sure.

·
Will let you beg for food
793 Posts
I wouldnt recommend the eye liner idea or the mascara idea...eyes are very delicate and prone to infection. I could see it causing big problems. Though I would be willing to dip into a like camo makeup ...earth tones are my palet lol

also
crushed berries could be used to stain lips and nails
lanolin from natural sheeps wool is great for softening skin (just take wool and rub it in)
butter is great moisturizer in a pinch (if you are lucky enough to have a cow)
vasaline is great for so much, stores well and is cheap

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hahaha, yeah well, the eyeliner is save, im sure, cause it was the normal way for over 1000 years. cleopatra was the first to use it and through out the time, poor people used it, to have some make up. but maybe is the mascara a little too much indeed :p

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
When I first moved out here I used bouncing bet to wash my hair. It's not as harsh as most soaps so it doesn't strip all the oils out. With your own oils in your hair you may not need as much conditioner. It's just a thought.

Tury

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree women are a luxury.

Taking a young beautiful women on a backpacking trip is as much a luxury as taking a 53" plasma TV and a Blueray player.

If one really misses the luxury of a female, do it the ultra light way ... a strong arm, some lotion and a good imagination.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I can understand a little vanity, and I can understand the desire to maintain some forms of civilization or comfort during hard times, but none of us will be beautiful all the time, and even if you have to drastically shorten your hair to keep it tamed in the rough, you may console yourself in the knowledge that you will probably still be prettier than the hairy dirty dude beside you!!

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Actually, I don't usually wear much makeup at all anyway so I don't think I'd look drastically different without it. I'd likely cut my hair in a SHTF situation since it's too long and would get in the way.

survival situations is adapt your expectations. The females from 1000 years ago, used oils from nuts to soften their hair. a disadvantage is that your hair is greasy as hell, but you can wash that out for a good part, but hot water isnt falling from the sky in the woods.
Roeland, the nut oils do work... I do condition my hair with nut oils from time to time.

Know those expensive tiny bottles for oil treatments? If you buy a big bottle of walnut oil or peanut oil, oil your hair, leave it in for a while, then wash it out.... it works. I either leave it overnight or towelled up for maybe 8 hours. Heating it is not necessary. I've never done the heated method that the little bottles do, perhaps it would be faster. If the hair is extremely dry, the first time around might not completely do the trick. Overall, it's cheaper than the tiny bottles. And it's best to put a towel or cap around the hair because it will attract dust and anything that can stick.

As to an all out conditioner replacement, I'd have to look into that myself. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ditch the leather, moss, and tampons altogether. A menstrual cup works much better and they last for a long time. In a shtf situation, as long as you have water and fire, a menstrual cup is all you need. Boil it in a small can of water at the end of your cycle. I use one now and it's the best purchase I ever made.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was going to recommend the Diva cup. I haven't bought one yet, they are like $35 at the stores here. But I think it would be the best thing to have on hand after SHTF.

I plan to let my hair become dreadlocked after SHTF. It's long and curly and I just couldn't deal with brushing it every day unless I use conditioner. I imagine we'll be reserving our food supplies for eating. So looking at things like aloe for beauty use is a good idea.

Sand can be used for a body scrub. If you store some powdered henna, then mix it with something like lemon (the acid breaks down the cells to release the color) then you have a great hair softener and you can also 'paint' your nails with. I did it for Halloween, you soak your nails in water for about 10 minutes to soften them then you can use a paintbrush to paint the henna on your nails and let it dry. After it flakes off, your nails will be orange to dark red (depends on the type of henna used). I doubt we'll be worried about such things after SHTF! lol

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
They used Beetroot juice (dont know what they are called in US - its not the sugar) which is naturally redish- purple to tint the lips. Also cold tea on the bare legs as false tights.

·
seek, locate, evaluate
833 Posts
Adding to what Nightfall said:

Yah- and I use flax seed oil about once a month which I think is cheaper than the nut oils. It is good to bathe in from head to toe without any soap. A few splashes in the bath is all you need. It is amazing how it softens skin and gives a healthy shine to hair.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts