Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My love hate relationship with the internet grows exponentially. The better the information gets the worse the people get. There is going to come a point in which I will turn it off and walk away. (Death of the internet might be the only reason I would welcome the SHTF situation.)

At my fingertips is great information, invading my life are some of the finest, or worse, ah, begins with "A" rectalgelias, pains in the you-know-what, in the world. I am not sure the trade off is worth it. (Note I am not talking about anyone here, any issue here, or any moderator here.)

Participation seems to be the Holy Grail of the internet. And that is because the cyberworld turns on numbers, members, re participation. So if you say to the fellow who claims to have sex weekly on Mars with creatures from Venus that is rather unlikely he gets in a vulgar snit and leaves. You then get deleted because you did not show him the human respect he deserves... That is not an exaggeration. On another site I told a fellow recently that the yellow berries he wanted to eat could kill him. I got a warning for not respecting his human dignity. Dignity isn't worth much when you're dead.

It is as if no one has to be or can be a polite adult on the internet. It is as if the internet allows us access to the best of information and the worse of human behavior. A disagreement is not a disagreement. It is vulgar demonization ... you know... 72-point type, 89 exclamation points, insults, and language that would even burn ears in a boys 8th grade locker room.

It is all getting rather wearisome....it's like enjoying a glass of fine wine to find a pile rat crap at the bottom.

It is odd that the most vulgar, crude and base medium also is the most politically correct. Someone screaming obscenities is kept whereas a politically incorrect but accurate observation brings deletion. There is something rather perverse about that.

And then there are the sites that just promote nonsense with no regard to reality: There are sincere Flat Earthers, and to suggest the earth is round is to not respect their human dignity (as they tell you that in vulgar terms) and you are also denying the truth et cetera and it gets repeated more and more these days

...well ... my bucket of internet BS is nearly full. I think it is time to put it down and walk away. It's not even good fertilizer.

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
ifn yer rant is over ill start mine-------------

it seems that the anoniminity of the internet encourages incivility, bad manners and downright -- cheeky--( did i use it right sticks?) behavior. wonder how many would say to yer face what they so readily say on a keyboard? i doubt it highly. at least not more than once while still remaining in a standing position.

numbers is the thing -- hits are whats important. quality gits ta take the back seat to quantity. until the massive volume begins to back up - overflow - and stink, rot, and ruin all it touches like most regurgitations of bile diatribe always do. cept there seems to be no roto-rooter man ta step in and flush tha pipes.

rant over ---- next

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

it seems that the anoniminity of the internet encourages incivility, bad manners and downright -- cheeky--( did i use it right sticks?) behavior. wonder how many would say to yer face what they so readily say on a keyboard? i doubt it highly. at least not more than once while still remaining in a standing position.
Absolutley.....It may be generational but I think older folks are the same on the internet as in person. I think young folks have an online and off line personality, and the online one didn't grow up.

Notice schools has started and several flamers are quiet....

·
The end is near.
1,376 Posts
Straight Razor, I can understand your point on this. However, the internet is what you can make of it, much like life. If you rely on others who set up websites to provide you with what you're looking for from the internet you're going to be at the least a little disappointed, usually. If you have something you want to accomplish on the net you'll need to either sift through all the crap to find the sites that do offer what you are looking for (then sift through the crap on those sites to find the posts you can participate in) or you're going to have to start your own site. Kev is a prime example of that. He set this place up and it's a great place, IMHO. Is there flaming going on here? I guess there is. But I usually disregard posts that I find too much for me to handle and move on to the many other posts that are more to my liking. And then again, a spirited debate is just what the doctor ordered from time to time and I'll get right in the middle, occasionally. lol. If it gets too much for me to handle I'll just not post anymore in that thread and I think others should do the same.

If this or any other site ever banned me unfairly or did something I couldn't handle then I'd move on to another site. That's the beauty of the internet; almost unlimited places to go and things to see and learn.

IMHO, we are living in an important part of history right now. (talking about the internet, not shtf or teotwawki) For the first time in history people from around the world are capable of networking with each other at will via the internet. People are questioning the status quo and talking to each other about important issues. People are learning new things that 10 or 15 years ago would have been impossible to learn. Ideas are coming about because people from all over are discussing issues.

IMHO, the benefits of the internet far, far outweigh the cons. How about this example of that; This site offers much more information on survival than any one or two or three books on the market. There is information here that is not in any book available and that's because of the number of people who visit and share their ideas and info with us. I hope you find a way to ignore the things you don't like on the net and focus more on the things you do find useful. It's a strange experiment we're all involved in on the net right now, but in time I'm confident it will sort itself out.

Good luck.

·
Earthwalker.
10,287 Posts

numbers is the thing -- hits are whats important. quality gits ta take the back seat to quantity. until the massive volume begins to back up - overflow - and stink, rot, and ruin all it touches like most regurgitations of bile diatribe always do. cept there seems to be no roto-rooter man ta step in and flush tha pipes.

rant over ---- next
[did i use it right sticks?]use what right mongoose ?:confused:

Thats one of the reasons i am staying out of political and religious disscusion,because a lot gets said which i don't think would be said to your face,now me ill say to anyones face what i say over the net and don't care how bad or dangerous the person im saying it to is,but sometimes i get so mad with curtian people that i know wouldn't last 5 minutes in a room with me saying some of the things they say over the net,this is just one of the reasons why im out of politics/religion amongst others.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
one of the sites Im a regular at, incivility isn't just expected- its the norm. Once you get over the fact that everything you say and do will be flamed- its actually kind of fun, because in that we are all the same lol.

Its refreshing in a way. Very liberating. I had to get away from this site for a time cause this was one of the places where I let my guard down and let me be myself- which I see is a big mistake now. The internetz are a rough place- wear a cup.

·
ÐìrtýÐëëdsÐøñëÐìrtÇhëâþ
387 Posts
We, as humans have the ability to filter what we read, ignore parts of no interest, and learn from the parts with value. Reality is, what you see on the internet IS what most of the USA IS... And it's pretty damn Scary at times.

As the owner of a few sites myself, I have found that you Have to cull members that go against the grain, just like in real life. If you had a real live group pf people that met up weekly to discuss politics etc. and one of them was Always on another page, and everyone left the gathering pissed off because of that one... you would not keep inviting him. just as a Anti Gun, Pro big Gov person will never be a beneficial member on this site.

Stop Whining... take a break and visit some other sites.. may I suggest http://bbs.buccaneers.com :)

·
Registered
252 Posts
maybe your standards on the behavior of people is set too high. Perhaps if you lower them a tad they wont disappoint you quite so much, therefore making your septic system experience a much less stinky deal..

That's a root cause of most of these problems...Keep lowering the bar. There's no reason not to maintain manners and ediquette, even when one disagrees .

Straight Razor is right on this point. The young ones have one personality for on line and one for off line. Too bad those same young ones will grow up to be the adults soon. Imagine how low they will drop the bar for thier kids !

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
one of the sites Im a regular at, incivility isn't just expected- its the norm. Once you get over the fact that everything you say and do will be flamed- its actually kind of fun, because in that we are all the same lol.

Its refreshing in a way. Very liberating. I had to get away from this site for a time cause this was one of the places where I let my guard down and let me be myself- which I see is a big mistake now. The internetz are a rough place- wear a cup.
Its not rough, it is crude and childish... it is very juvenile and people just don't seem to grow up.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Stop Whining... take a break and visit some other sites.. may I suggest http://bbs.buccaneers.com :)
It is not whining, it is lamenting the destruction of a medium. It is like the person who says F### every other word, literally. Eventually that person loses the ability to communicate and people stop listening. Where as when nun Sister Mary Francis says F### you know something extremely significant is happening.

The constant screaming, the constant vulgarity, the constant thinking on the level of a fifth grader, even among moderators, is getting disgusting and making the medium a farce.

·
Don't Tread on Me
381 Posts
hmm okay so does this mean I get to win one of the awards for most posts in a month now????

lol j/k... I am no where near to getting one of those.

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
theres a lotta whinnin goin on there today

Reggie-- Reggie-- Reggie

sorry fer tha hijack --- saints fan and we aint had a lot ta gloat about over tha years -----------cept fer when we play Tampa ----- lol

·
ÐìrtýÐëëdsÐøñëÐìrtÇhëâþ
387 Posts
Ain'ts came ready to WIN yest, and as much as I dislike Bush... he was Sharp !

Tampa Bay !!! was poorly prepared, Very poorly coached and did not come to Win.

The Zebra's were the worst I seen in years...

Yall didn't have much Gloating last year when we Swept you :)

·
Libertarian
397 Posts
thats freedom of speech for you.
as long as you are allowed to argue the point in a rational manner, what the heck.
I often wonder what we are really like in person?
Would we still shout loud some of our more base feelings if we had the social restrictions of face to face contact? I doubt it humanity does not function like that.
It can be a useful tool,the intraweb, for letting out all that suppressed anger that lives inside most of us.
So I say embrace your inner grumpy old man/woman and let rip. Remember though you might just meet some of the people you rant at one day, then what?

·
Destroyer of Ignorance
2,988 Posts
With great freedom can come great inconvenience. I'd rather have the freedom than never be inconvenienced. Maybe it's just me but I see each poster as someone who can either teach me something or learn something from me ... even those who are far from civil. If enough time is spent communicating with them, eventually you will find a common ground that can act as your base for communicating.

One thing I learned working in a repair shop was to develope a thick skin. I'll admit, my skin can be penetrable at times but for the most part, I find life is more enjoyable when you roll with the punches a bit. If someone jabs at you, jab back. As long as it's all in fun, life is good. If someone is just plain mean-spirited you can always choose to ignore them. (I'm yet to find anyone who is that bad that I'll avoid reading their posts)

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well... what got me going was on another site where a newbie said "I've got a lot of soapberry trees on my property with berries. Can I eat them?" And my --polite -- reply was you need to tell us more, such as where do you live, and since you have read up on them which soapberry do you mean since there are a lot of "soapberries?" Usually anything soapy has saponins in it that can ruin your week and in more than small quantities kill you. I actually was possible to ID the tree and it could kill him if he ate the berries. His response was insulting, vulgar -- how dare I suggest his request was lacking -- and that he was never coming back again. Well, okay good riddance. Then moderator said I did not show human respect. Human respect? The guy asked a question about a tree, not third world salvation. More so I saved the guy's life. I figured out what he was talking about with less than minimal information, did it in a civil tone, and got dumped on by the guy and the moderator. The profane children are definitely in charge.

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,826 Posts
I know heaploads of older people who are very twisted and full of egotism when they are online. It comes in all ages.

So you have knowledge and therefore you expected to be treated as an authority, and instead you are shocked to find the opposite. And got your feelings hurt. I think maybe you need to analyze the interactions and not generalize and say "That's how the Internet IS these days".

Interaction is much more than just ditching it out, how polite it may ever seem. I have learned this the hard way, since my own social skills are somewhat different than others. I know this might seem strange, but just acting "correct" can upset people more than cursing and being crude. People can smell "different", and they usually don't like it.

It IS OK to feel hurt when in fact you did something good.

I'm not saying there is a right and wrong, but people have different communication patterns and different ideas what is acceptable. Sometimes all you can do is accept this, as lonely or unappreciated it may seem. It's possible that you come across in another way than you perceive yourself. And like I said, there is sort of a norm for acceptable behavior and it's probably not what you like it to be.

I've been kicked out of forums for doing what I thought was right.

I hope you don't just dismiss what I say because "Speedo never agrees with me and always argues against me", I'm actually trying to share some of what I learned while interacting with this strange human species.

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
have no fear girl ------
im the same -obnoxious-opinionated-******* on line as i am in person ---
only here im much better lookin

1 - 20 of 23 Posts