1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
-Novice Genius-
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sooner or later, it's going to happen.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090415/ap_on_bi_ge/eu_italy_fiat_chrysler
Fiat CEO: Concessions or no Chrysler deal​
MILAN – Automaker Fiat Group SpA will walk away from a deal to take a 20-percent stake in Chrysler LLC if the U.S. automaker's unions don't agree to major cost cuts, Fiat CEO Sergio Marchionne said in an interview published Wednesday.

Fiat and Chrysler are up against an April 30 deadline for Fiat to take a stake in the failing U.S. automaker in exchange for small car technology, but Chrysler first needs concessions from creditors and unions to ink the Fiat deal. If the Fiat alliance isn't finalized by then, the U.S. government has threatened not to provide any more aid and let Chrysler be sold off in pieces.

"Absolutely we are prepared to walk. There is no doubt in my mind," he said. "We cannot commit to this organization unless we see light at the end of the tunnel," Fiat CEO Sergio Marchionne said in an interview published in the Toronto Globe and Mail.

A Fiat spokesman confirmed Marchionne's statements.

Marchionne said there is a 50 percent chance the deal will fail because of lack of progress in labor negotiations in both the United States and Canada.
You know the workers are not going to want their salaries/benefits to be part of the 'major cost cuts'.
MP76

·
eyes opened 911,
459 Posts
Chrysler and the other two better do whatever is needed to survive. A drowning man has no ability to negotiate with a potential rescuer.
The big 3 are in trouble because of poor sales based on poor quality. Of course it is poor quality because nobody wants to buy these cars even with all their great cost saving deals.
Or is it that when in trouble with high gas prices...bring out another muscle-car or SUV??:confused:
Pay cuts, buyouts, mergers, grants, whatever to do what is necessary. Sometimes you have to cut off a finger to save the hand.
Wake up big 3 (and unions) and do what is needed.

·
DEFCON 4
6,583 Posts
Chrysler and the other two better do whatever is needed to survive. A drowning man has no ability to negotiate with a potential rescuer.
The big 3 are in trouble because of poor sales based on poor quality. Of course it is poor quality because nobody wants to buy these cars even with all their great cost saving deals.
Or is it that when in trouble with high gas prices...bring out another muscle-car or SUV??:confused:
Pay cuts, buyouts, mergers, grants, whatever to do what is necessary. Sometimes you have to cut off a finger to save the hand.
yet the japanese automakers and others have taken bailout money from their respective gov'ts as well, bacause of their poor quality auto's too!!!

·
Premium Member
24,610 Posts
The UAW is failing to realize that when these companies enter into bankruptcy for restructuring no trustee is going to allow those contracts to stand.

There's going to be a mass firing across the boards, and then a rehire without the union.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The quality of the product was not the problem although none of the BIG 3 gave fuel economy much though. It was $150/barrell oil and it effected every aspect of our economy. Everything that we use is directly ,or indriectly,effected by the cost of energy. We have an oil based economy and it broke us. Why hasn't our Great Fed. made it law that all automobiles built and sold in this country, be capable of using alcohol based fuel as well as petro. It would give the consumer a choice and make the oil industry competive. Energy is what it"s about.

·
eyes opened 911,
459 Posts
The quality of the product was not the problem although none of the BIG 3 gave fuel economy much though. It was $150/barrell oil and it effected every aspect of our economy. Everything that we use is directly ,or indriectly,effected by the cost of energy. We have an oil based economy and it broke us. Why hasn't our Great Fed. made it law that all automobiles built and sold in this country, be capable of using alcohol based fuel as well as petro. It would give the consumer a choice and make the oil industry competive. Energy is what it"s about.
Alcohol based will never fly because it may take more energy to produce the ethanol or whatever than you would get out of the finished product.

·
woefully unprepared
1,489 Posts
I'd like to see the number of rank and file UAW members that would just as soon take these "sacrifices" in pay and benefits for the opportunity at a decent job.

A little money could exert some undue influence in this whole fiasco, focused on some mo..er, union bosses. Just another reason to restructure the unions.

·
RH-O Negative
5,647 Posts
Goodbye Chrysler. I haven't driven a Chrysler product since they had the Reliant, and the Army made me drive it.

Nothing against Chrysler, but I have never owned one. I do like the Jeep products though.

Reactions: puzzler

·
Forewarned is Forearmed
949 Posts
If Chrysler does go out of business what happens to all the people that have current leases with Chrysler Financial? Free cars WooooHoooooooooo... LOL

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
they never made good vechials anyways had 2 they were junker then junk.. so many problems not funny...

When gm bought all the other car brands.. and kept them seprate it was a bad idea because they basicly make the same car but 4 diffrent ways... I say let if fail... someone might buy it someone might not... Thats bunsness... What happens when a company cant run it self properly they blame the empoyees and want them to take a pay degrease.. and some people are like they should I dont get paid that much.. all I got to say to those people demand better wages then.. or get a new job that pays enoff to live on...

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
If Chrysler does go out of business what happens to all the people that have current leases with Chrysler Financial? Free cars WooooHoooooooooo... LOL
Technically speaking Chrysler Financial isn't Chrysler, it is a separate legal entity. You will still owe your money to whoever buys Chrysler Financial.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Reactions: RECTIFIER and ken k

·
Forum Administrator
16,846 Posts
After dealing with a grand cherokee that kept breaking down - I will do my best to never buy another Chrysler ever again.

The morel of the story - make a piece of junk product, expect to go out of business.

·
Getting there....
1,231 Posts
My brother's on Cherokee # 2 and both were royal POS vehicles. Chrysler's transmissions have a reputation for going out after around 50K miles or so, which is ironic because they used to have some of the best automatic transmissions in the industry.

Chrysler & GM are reaping the rewards of their product and the market has definitely spoken. For the record, more components of a Toyota Tundra are made in the US than in a Silverado or Colorado.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts