Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Quaerite primum regnum De
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Emergency Response Guidebook

If it may help prevent an injury, illness or death then, this thread will be well worth it in my eye.

Although I don't personally endorse or condone scavenging, I believe this book would be a very useful resource for anyone expecting to do any scavenging after an event, or maybe someone living in an area where hazardous materials are used or stored.

This is a guidebook used by first responders such as firefighters, police, EMS when responding to incidents involving dangerous goods or hazardous materials.

It contains very basic information on such things as safety precautions, hazard identification, and isolation/evacuation distances for practically every hazardous material you could possibly come across.

It is a joint project between;
-Transport Canada,
-U.S. Department of Transportation,
-Secretariat of Communications and Transport of Mexico, and
-many other parties from government and industry

It is available in many languages and is free to public safety organizations.
It can be ordered from various online sources at a very reasonable price, I believe around $8.00 Canadian.
It is revised(updated) every 3-4 years.

I don't like posting links so you'll have to search for it yourself, lol.

I have been a volunteer firefighter for almost 10 years now. I have been keeping an up to date copy and a pair of small binoculars in my personal vehicle for almost all of those years, just in case.

I want to add a few Cautions.

Please, hazardous materials should be avoided if at all possible. Even slight exposure to some materials can be fatal. If you get contaminated by some materials, you can pass the contamination to others(your family, children).

Don't be a "hero", if someone has fallen due to exposure it's probably already too late for them.

Just donning protective clothing is not enough, you need to be properly trained to deal with what you are exposing yourself to.

And on a lighter side

There is an old joke that some firefighters tell probies.

"In the old days, to find out wither or not that florescent yellow liquid oozing out of the overturned tanker, was toxic or not, they'd just send in one of the gungho young guys. If he came back, it was safe. If not then......":D:

Anyways, I hope someone finds this interesting and useful.

DON'T BE A VICTIM, STAY SAFE OUT THERE !:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts