Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have gone through a dozen renditions of my keychain over the years, and this is about as lightweight as I can go. I started removing things when I found out that too much weight can reduce the lifespan of the ignition. I don't have a cutting tool because I always carry a pocket knife. The whistle is very loud. The USB drive is very durable and let's me boot an OS as well as keep documents and such on hand. I have used the emergency cash on more occasions than I can recall... simple things, like going into Wal-Mart and forgetting my wallet. Faster to use the $50 instead of walking back out to my jeep. All that, and the only keys are a padlock key, two house keys, and my jeep's key. See attached pict...

Disaster notwithstanding, I really do use the items I have on a regular basis, save the handcuff keys, thank heavens... The led light comes in handy all the time, and it has replaceable batteries, but I can get ten of them on amazon for about $6 with free shipping, so it's just cheaper to get new ones - and they last a long time anyway.

I've used the whistle just a few times to get someones attention - usually at the farm when they are a ways off and we don't have radios.

The USB drive is nice to have for more reasons that I can list here. Having an OS on the go is excellent. And I have my passport, and other IDs imaged as well - although it's not the real deal - it does contain all the pertinent registration numbers and identifiers. That's one step closer to proving my identity than nothing at all should I loose my physical IDs.

So I'm wondering what, if any, things do you keep on your keychain for edc purposes.

- cheers -

Attachments

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
My key chain has gone through lots of variation too...and not just by keys coming and going.

What you need on the key chain is all about how you carry your EDC.

Personally, I don't carry a USB on mine, or a fire steel, or a whistle (those are all elsewhere in my EDC). I carry a hand cuff key on a break away chain instead of a shim. I keep meaning to pick up one of those pill cylinder things to put a bit of cash in and never seem to remember.

I also have a micro Mini-Mag on mine, and a P-38 (electrical taped closed).

·
Registered
21,813 Posts
The USB drive - are your personal documents encrypted or protected in any way? I'd think that's important.

Personally not sure how useful the handcuff keys would be. How likely are you to be in a situation where A) the police handcuff you B) they didn't take your keychain C) the keychain is somewhere you can reach it (can you reach if if your hands are behind your back?) and D) it is a situation where you are willing to accept the consequences of escaping from police custody? Seems like that is a very low incidence of use.

other stuff looks good. that's a very interesting usb design. i like how you blacked out the teeth on your keys, so we can't use a 3d printer to make copies.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Everyone will be different.
Personally,my CAR key chain is just the fob and chipped key.
I have a hidden chipped key in the car.
I have a hidden unchipped key,which will only open the door and set off the alarm,outside the car.

Usually have a multitool on me,and my car is a rolling BOB.

Just my lifestyle,where I live and work,I'm usually 50 feet from my car or house,and I'm loaded down with other stuff.

Just my situation.

·
Registered
21,813 Posts
OP: on my keychain I have a Leatherman Micra. a lot of function for a small package and weight. They're around $20 last I checked

Reactions: 6471

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Merlinfire -

You are right about the handcuff keys. Not a good idea to take them off if a leo put them on. But that's not my reasoning. In the shtf situation, who knows who might use handcuffs on who. If there is no law, or the law goes bad - I want a quick way out, or the ability to free someone else. If I can reach them is incidental - not having them at all is - well, not having them. And after all, they are tiny and don't take up any real space or weight...

I love that USB drive -
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017DH3NOW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cook -

I have a neat compartment I machined into my jeep that can hold quite a few things and is well hidden. I think any BOV should have an emergency set of keys, and other things as well...

·
Registered
18,616 Posts
Mine is Spartan to say the least. I use a mounting pin from a .50 cal and a key to each vehicle. House key and all the random padlocks etc are on a small carabiener (sp?). Not exactly gonna get me home shtf but it makes a dang good head knocker if need be. ;)

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

·
People Are Not Good
2,996 Posts
I use a KeySmart for 90% of my keys. Love it.

Back in the day I would carry one of those emergency mini lighters. Never again. Zero fuel capacity. Just get a bic mini.

I also have a twisted veins keychain light and keyfobs.

On the OPs usb: You can download VeraCrypt to the drive for encryption.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JohnAmmo said:
"On the OPs usb: You can download VeraCrypt to the drive for encryption."

I will check that out. Merlinfire mentioned that. I am a programmer and it's simple for me to encrypt it with something simple. But I suppose I should look into something better.

Thanks for the suggestion.

- cheers -

·
Registered
8,161 Posts
I have gone through a dozen renditions of my keychain over the years, and this is about as lightweight as I can go. I started removing things when I found out that too much weight can reduce the lifespan of the ignition. I don't have a cutting tool because I always carry a pocket knife. The whistle is very loud. The USB drive is very durable and let's me boot an OS as well as keep documents and such on hand. I have used the emergency cash on more occasions than I can recall... simple things, like going into Wal-Mart and forgetting my wallet. Faster to use the $50 instead of walking back out to my jeep. All that, and the only keys are a padlock key, two house keys, and my jeep's key. See attached pict...

Disaster notwithstanding, I really do use the items I have on a regular basis, save the handcuff keys, thank heavens... The led light comes in handy all the time, and it has replaceable batteries, but I can get ten of them on amazon for about $6 with free shipping, so it's just cheaper to get new ones - and they last a long time anyway.

I've used the whistle just a few times to get someones attention - usually at the farm when they are a ways off and we don't have radios.

The USB drive is nice to have for more reasons that I can list here. Having an OS on the go is excellent. And I have my passport, and other IDs imaged as well - although it's not the real deal - it does contain all the pertinent registration numbers and identifiers. That's one step closer to proving my identity than nothing at all should I loose my physical IDs.

So I'm wondering what, if any, things do you keep on your keychain for edc purposes.

- cheers -
That is way too big for me. My keychain has truck key, house key, padlock key (locks gas cans in truck), tonneau key, atom flashlight,usb tile(finds lost keys).

Keep spare money in a money belt, carry knife.

I could drop all keys by leaving them in my truck since I always have my truck if I need those keys.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I've tried to cut mine down. But I have house keys car key. 2 different padlock keys. Car fob.

THEN I have 3 keys for work.

·
Forum Administrator
16,846 Posts
My keychain has a single maglight AAA, and that is it.

·
"Everbody has a plan . .&quot
2,187 Posts
Handcuff key?
Definitely !
But sentimental reasons only. Carried em for years as a L.E.O. & just kept one as a souvenir, that's all.
Like Vets often keep a reminder of their service.
As for everything else, I keep it down to next to nothing since it's a MAJOR pain in the rear to enter secure locations like courthouses or even the DMV without stripping all the sharp stuff off my keys. Far easier to just have keys only & keep that other stuff separate & available.
Lighters????
Still don't grasp the apparent obsessions with fire starting. This isn't Castaway for pete's sake.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Handcuff key?
Definitely !
But sentimental reasons only. Carried em for years as a L.E.O. & just kept one as a souvenir, that's all.
Like Vets often keep a reminder of their service.
As for everything else, I keep it down to next to nothing since it's a MAJOR pain in the rear to enter secure locations like courthouses or even the DMV without stripping all the sharp stuff off my keys. Far easier to just have keys only & keep that other stuff separate & available.
Lighters????
Still don't grasp the apparent obsessions with fire starting. This isn't Castaway for pete's sake.
I carry a lighter in my keychain (titanium peanut lighter) and a zippo with a thunderbird insert in my front right little pocket, the one you have in jeans. And I dont dont. :D:
Why? Well, first as you say, that obsession with fire starting. It is one of tohse critical survival skills which is hard or even downright impossible to improvise in certain situations. Having a lighter with me over the years has come in handy, even if I havnet used it yet in a critical/life saving situation (and I hope it stays that way!) I have used it to start fires for bbqs, start gas heaters, stoves, melt plastics, etc. When younger I was sometimes asked if I had a light, usually girls, and it was a good conversation starter. "Here, you go". "Thanks, do you want one (as in a cigarette)" "Mo thanks I dont smoke". And the obvious question would follow, "then why do you have a lighter?", and I would reply either "I like being prepared" or "I had one in case you needed it;)".
I dont use it as often as other EDC stuff but I do use it. That plus fire having such a critical role in survival makes it a must have for me.
Besides this, I happen to like lighters, especially zippo. My current Zippo is a repro from Indiana Jones Zippo, so I like having a ligther and my "lucky charm".
FerFAL

·
Banned
4,841 Posts
It looks a lot heavier than it is. This pic is a couple years old, there's been a couple changes, but mostly the same as seen here.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Heres an idea, get one of those small retractable cord thingos[like a mini tape measure but there cord], put just your car key on the end of chord, attach the other end to your key ring, get some velcro tape male and female, attach one velcro to somewhere on your dash or driver door near ignition etc, the other to something flat on your keyring, that way your car key is isolated from all the weight, which is hanging off of the velcro on dash/door etc- just attached by the retractable clip line thingo?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts