Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Dumpster Diver
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
advantages,= redundancies,,= 2 is one , 1 is none
a double shotgun is like carrying a backup gun all in one!

2 firing pins,
two hammers,,

2 triggers..
2 barrels

very few parts to bend jam or break,, but if one does,, the other half may likely still function

can load 2 different types of shells, (ex, Slug and shot) at the ready
can even load a different gauge or a rifle or pistol round, with barrel inserts or chamber adapters ($35 to $150 each)

simplist mechanism, in the gun world,, no learning curve to load and fire

easiest gun to clean,,no breech, no cycling mechanism, no bolt, no shell carriers... can see completely thru and run a cleaning rod,, even a shaft of wood cut off a bush and a scrap of rag thru it to clean

somewhat more forgiving on shot placement

better at hitting small scurrying critters and Infinitely better for shooting flying feathered food than any other gun type

disadvantage: obviously , only 2 shots before reloading,, but with practice that can be done in about 3-4 seconds

and it has considerable "command presence" with those who are looking at it from the end opposite you

in a 12 gauge. a slug will go completely thru a car door,, or both sides of a refrigerator,,
can fire numerous types of projectiles, lead slugs,, lead pellets of many sizes, .rubber balls or bullets,or other non lethal projectiles,, breaching rounds for opening doors and such , signalling flares, and neither last, nor least, incendiary shells.... possibly the best crowd turner arounder ever invented..

and with large "Buckshot" the effect upon a target is like having several guys with .25 or 30 caliber pistols shoot it all at the same instant..

$350 to $400 will get you a brand new one too !!!! although you can spend 1000s of $$$ for a fancy one .

come in gauges from .410 and 28 which a woman or very young person can easily handle,, to the 20, and the workhorse, the most versatile , the ubiquitous 12 ga, to the long range & massively powerful 10 gauge,, (not recommended,, and NOT for small people or the faint of heart LOL ) in the old days, they even made 8 gauge shotguns,, virtually a small cannon...which could sink a boat , either the one you shot at, or possibly the one you were in ...LOL!!!

as to ammunition stocking,, you are looking at 25 cents a shell for light shot, target , fowl and rabbit to $1 or so for Buck or Slugs.... vs say, my 30-30 at $1.25 per bang and more for other rifles

so we can walk into a gun shop with $650, the price of 4 new tires , and out with empty wallet and either a used AR (if we are lucky, and not too choosy) and no ammo..or a nice, wonderfully accurate long range new 308 Bolt action ...and no ammo..
. or a new Double 12 coach gun and 1000 rounds.....

·
Old Soldier
5,318 Posts
But they just don't look all cool and tactical! This is an internet fantasy site where image is everything.
I hear ya, Bro. My shotty has to have tactirails, and a breacher, and a synthetic speedfeed stock, and a side saddle, and a light, and a red dot, and an extended mag tube, and a tacticool sling, and vertical foregrip.
Then I be cool, Bro!:D:

·
Dumpster Diver
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rice Paddy Daddy,,,

lets have some fun !!!!

prolly nothing easier to McGuyversurvivor a suitably scary tacticool homebrew than a double gun,,
a $10 or $20 Led Flashlight and some electrical tape ---fasten it under the barrels securely (try doing that with a single barrel !!)

swipe your kids teachers laser pointer off her desk at the next parent teacher conference and tape that on top of the rib between the barrels..

you could even attach it to the rib with self adhesive velcro !!!

Or get a piece of PVC pipe,, paint it black and tie wrap it under the barrells to store shells and feed them into your off hand for "tacticool " reloads .

or maybe get a $20 Machete,, grind it to a double side pointed blade and duct tape it under the barrels as a bayonet in case the Zombies move in on you while you are fumbling with reloading

Paint the stocks with Duracoat truck bed liner paint...so the gun does not slip from your hands when covered with slippery splashed brains of the Zombies

forward pistol grip ? easy,, just cut one off a $20 BB replica pistol and glue it on there

tacticool muzzle brake simulator ? again, easy... suitably sized PVC pipe,, cut off a couple ten inch lengths and cut grooves for the bead sights and down one side of each in them , paint them flat black and slip them over the muzzles glue them together

Survivalism is not only easy, it's cheap and fun too !!! Are we having fun yet ??

·
Ooh, pancakes!
3,046 Posts
I love them for hunting or a one-time shocker or backup, but I'd never use one for serious social purposes. If you do you should plan on just shooting it, then dropping it and pulling a different gun or using it as a club, it's just too slow to fiddle with reloading.

·
Dumpster Diver
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Independence, & Mr Morden

not directed at you 2 personally, I have no idea of your experience or background,, but perhaps some forum members, younger ones etc may glean something of value from my comments below.. stuff that has worked for me, usually against larger assailants , armed or unarmed , and so far , happily , without the added advantage of my double gun or the backup piece.. (I kinda thought when I touted the 2 shot double gun,, a belt gun backup was assumed by the reader,, at least those who know the typical home invasion gang is a gang of 3, and the street gang is typically 5 or more)

another thing I say to people who say, 2 rounds ? more than 2 assailants ? is that that 12 gauge is not going to stop in the first 2 guys you shoot,, if some of the others are behind them you will have done a Daniel Boone,, killed two birds with one stone,, and likely wounded another,, ( a 12 gauge slug will go thru a car door,, sometimes thru a car door,, the person inside and out the other door,, ...or thru an entire refrigerator some guts or ribs are not going to stop it.

an aside,, why not a multi round AR type rifle ? .. first , the very word rifle equates with distance, that is why they are rifled

and on the street if you are walking about with one, under ROL..., the LEOS will likely stop you,, in a WROL scenario, if it is seen,, you will have made your self a target of great opportunity for a concealed sniper with a Mosin who wants to upgrade his arsenal for 60 cents..
and , I do not know this part for a fact, but up real close and personal with a lot of coked up gang members .. It is my belief that an AR type weapon muzzle will be grabbed by one of the others not first shot..
as to the handgun,, you should be, and very well likely may be, -- your choice or theirs,, like it or not---, so close in that your sheath knife is as , or more, effective
a sheath knife up under the front ribs takes out the ascending aorta , and that kills quicker than a .45ACP anywhere else

a sheath knife into the lower back, enters the kidneys,, death takes a few minutes, but the immediate pain will render the opponent completely disabled immediately

if it is more than 2 people,, I would prolly have already left the scene, tho , LOL

(I have never been successfull against more than 2.. and have the hospital records brain damage and broken bones to prove it....LOL)

if not,, that is what the butt is for...
not to get too serious here, but take it for what it's worth-
of course you have to be moving forward in those situations anyway,, moving forward you are in balance, human nature is to move back when someone comes aggressively forward and that puts the other guy(s) off balance , physically and psychologically

you want to get "inside" their gun , knife club, or fist, belly to belly..up close , in their face ...I did not learn this from youtube, LOL....
you want to be so close they have to bite you to defend themselves, ,, I know , I've been bit a few times,,before the guy went down... you need to be the scariest thing they ever met.. growl,, it works,, it's not just a movie thing

on the other hand,, most of the guys who envision self defense scenarios have never lit off a pair of 12 gauge shells in a dark enclosed space, like a foyer or hallway... the muzzle blast, flash and noise will have most likely made both yourself and your opponents unable to see , hear or even think well enough to continue the fight,

so light em up and let survival instinct take over, swing , jab and punch out that buttstock,, it is quite a natural automatic instinct,, mankind has been clubbing for 2 million years,,

and knee in the balls is pretty effective, so effective that it is "socially unacceptable " like a pistol...it is the "great equalizer " up close and VERY personal .... LOL

btw.. statistically.. the typical NYPD shootings/shootouts with skels take place at a distance of 3 feet .you got to own that 3 feet....something to think about for all of us...

·
Old Soldier
5,318 Posts
Rice Paddy Daddy,,,

lets have some fun !!!!

prolly nothing easier to McGuyversurvivor a suitably scary tacticool homebrew than a double gun,,
a $10 or $20 Led Flashlight and some electrical tape ---fasten it under the barrels securely (try doing that with a single barrel !!)

swipe your kids teachers laser pointer off her desk at the next parent teacher conference and tape that on top of the rib between the barrels..

Or get a piece of PVC pipe,, paint it black and tie wrap it under the barrells to store shells and feed them into your off hand for "tacticool " reloads .

or maybe get a $20 Machete,, grind it to a double side pointed blade and duct tape it under the barrels as a bayonet in case the Zombies move in on you while you are fumbling with reloading

Paint the stocks with Duracoat truck bed liner paint...so the gun does not slip from your hands when covered with slippery splashed brains of the Zombies

forward pistol grip ? easy,, just cut one off a $20 BB replica pistol and glue it on there

tacticool muzzle brake simulator ? again, easy... suitably sized PVC pipe,, cut off a couple ten inch lengths and cut grooves for the bead sights and down one side of each in them , paint them flat black and slip them over the muzzles glue them together

Survivalism is not only easy, it's cheap and fun too !!! Are we having fun yet ??
What kind of Bubba are you? It all sounds good, but nowhere did I see the words JB Weld.:eek:

·
Retired Army
5,543 Posts
I don't want a double barrel now because Joe Biden recommends them.

Al

·
Retired Army
5,543 Posts
Rice Paddy Daddy,,,

lets have some fun !!!!

a $10 or $20 Led Flashlight and some electrical tape (or, JB Weld) ---fasten it under the barrels securely (try doing that with a single barrel !!)

swipe your kids teachers laser pointer off her desk at the next parent teacher conference and tape (or, JB Weld) that on top of the rib between the barrels..

Or get a piece of PVC pipe,, paint it black and tie wrap (or, JB Weld) it under the barrells to store shells and feed them into your off hand for "tacticool " reloads .

or maybe get a $20 Machete,, grind it to a double side pointed blade and duct tape (or, JB Weld) it under the barrels as a bayonet in case the Zombies move in on you while you are fumbling with reloading

forward pistol grip ? easy,, just cut one off a $20 BB replica pistol and glue it on (with JB Weld) there

tacticool muzzle brake simulator ? again, easy... suitably sized PVC pipe,, cut off a couple ten inch lengths and cut grooves for the bead sights and down one side of each in them , paint them flat black and slip them over the muzzles glue (or, JB Weld) them together

There you go RPD.:D: Fixed it.:thumb:

Al

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
Double barrel shotguns do not limit you to two shots. They limit you to having two shots loaded at a time. They take under two seconds to reload if you practice it. Same point as in the .45 Colt thread - people have this idea that twice the shots = twice as good. Reality is that in most situations, the most important rounds by far are round zero ("he has a gun"), round 1 ("he has a gun and he's shooting at me") and round 2 (in case the first shot missed). The value of additional shots in a home defense situation is usually very incremental. It's better to have them than not, of course.

I trust pump shotguns slightly more, all things considered, but not by a lot.

·
Old Soldier
5,318 Posts
Actually for a country boy a double trigger SXS is an excellent tool. Load birdshot in one pipe, buckshot in the other and you have instant load selection to respond to whatever size creature is causing the rucus in the hen house.
City slickers may need a pump gun for the dreaded zombie invasion but I just need to take care of whatever is looking for the all-you-can-eat chicken buffet.

I've got Stoeger Uplanders in 410 bore and 20 gauge.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
First of all, not all doubles are equally useful: the outside hammers are a must, double triggers are a must, short barrels are needed. Second, under what circumstances are you going to use it? If inside the house, pistol is better. If outside the house, rifle is better. If against charging animals, pump or semi- is better.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My great grandpa had been in shootouts as a constable patrolling turpentine camps in the South, and my father told me stories about feeling the buckshot lodged inside the skin of his arms when he was a kid. Anyways, he used a .32 revolver and a double barrel shotgun which he called "Brindle Gravy". :D:

·
Dumpster Diver
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well, having raised 3 daughters I can tell you that displaying a double barrel shotgun when some funky character appears at your door may not be 100% effective against a home invasion......but it proved 100% effective at preventing high school pre graduation pregnancies..

and no one ever asks my wife to dance.

are we having fun yet?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Love mine ( I now have 3 of them ) 2 with polished up chambers for shooting CAS... one I bought at Cabela's gun library... they thought it was Belgian... turns out it was a fine Italian double with fluid steel barrels, a greener cross bolt, & a dolls head locking lug, with light engraving... I gave a fraction of what my 3rd is actually worth to free it from Cabelas :thumb: my 1st 2 have been trimmed the shorter to 20", the longer is the one I use in Classis Cowboy class... the shorter one MRS uses if she goes...

these are my CAS guns... I like "real" old looking guns... & these are all raced up to shoot as fast as a pump gun... & in original format, were only $175.00 each from the used rack also at Cabelas

a pic of my 3rd this is a "dolls head" just in case you haven't seen one ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
8,460 Posts
I love my various dbl guns .... but they'll be just used as "last chance" and for any limited shooters during a SHTF .... just not practical for defense and even serious meat hunting ....

for defense it's not just the single or two shots .... you need to disable the gun in a notable way to reload .... with a pump or auto you can reload almost unnoticed and as you go .... and eazy enough to slip in some load changes while re-stacking the magazine tube ....

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.