Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
EDC, GHB, and loads of chocolate!
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before profiling became VERY not politically correct and the object of poorly thought out, leftist, and populist political thinking. Every professional LEO, military, and security operative in the world profiled, interpreted body language, and used their street smarts.

Ultimately those three techniques save lives.

During training to carry a concealed weapon, you learn a set of rules and laws that govern your right to draw and use your weapon. Call it "rules of engagement" if you like or an OODA loop, BUT ultimately it calls for you judging the actions of another before using your weapon.

That is profiling, and reading someone's body language. Get it right, you'll save lives.
Get it wrong? Unfortunately that does happen even for the well trained.

Yet it doesn't stop there with guns.
Thinking about personal security.
Before you leave or enter your home, you should be aware of what is happening around you.
Walking to or from your vehicle or using public transport, the same. You all know the various drills.
Or you should.

Only what are you looking for?
We call it "What's wrong with this picture"?
That and if something looks different or people are acting out of the norm - BEWARE.
Simply put it's a assessment of people and you picking out the classic signs of trouble in the making.

So, what think you?
Is it better to remain politically correct and refuse to acknowledge that profiling has a place in survival? Or will you carry on thinking like a survivalist and sod the politics by acting sensibly!

Just a reminder.
Let's not talk about the listed taboo's of race or religion in any responses. Thank you.

·
Basket of deplorables
4,128 Posts
Many people get things mixed up between criminal profiling and racial profiling. Criminal profiling has always been and still is an acceptable practice. Racial profiling is just a plain stupid practice.

Another method you may not be aware of but is commonly taught is what is out of the norm for the environment you are currently in. When you really think about it the practice is very easy you just have to be tuned in a little and practice it. Not that something out of the norm poses a threat but it's something that you should be aware of and pay attention to.

·
Registered
548 Posts
So, what think you?
Is it better to remain politically correct and refuse to acknowledge that profiling has a place in survival? Or will you carry on thinking like a survivalist and sod the politics by acting sensibly!
Are you taking about political correctness in your personal survival and self defense? If so, there is nothing political about it so PC doesn’t apply. Since you mentioned CCW training, PC shouldn’t play a role there as well, you don’t pull out your gun and shoot because someone looks suspicious, at least you shouldn’t. You only react to a real threat. In my view the problem with profiling or what many would r call as racism, is when it’s systemic or infringes on others rights, but on a personal level an individual can be as racist as he pleases, I’d say most people are, you can think whatever you want about any race.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I profile.
Studied body language, psych stuff, and people as a hobby since my teens.
If I’m curious about someone I start testing for trust worthiness, and maybe a few psych questions to figure them out. Simple questions can tell you a lot about someone if interpreted right. Even knowing favorite color can help (favorite color isn’t what they say. It’s what they wear or observe the most)
The hardest to profile are the narcissistic, and lethal sociopaths.
Then there are those where you feel a chill and you have to look around and See where it came from. I call them cold blooded assassins. Only ever had 2 give me that feeling. And they were together watching each other’s back seemingly on the hunt.

Sociopath can kill without blinking or remorse. Narcissist too if cornered.

So much new locally and changing so fast, and so new people head stays on swivel so I Can’t wait to get home and relax.

·
Registered
Loaded
175 Posts
I profile all people to one degree or another,but my natural instinct is to really profile any gang looking types,homeless,an just generally weird looking people, until I feel comfortable which is rare.
When I see people like the above I generally try to avoid them by not going where they are,when shopping at WM an such they haven't been a problem so far,plus I try to never go into their neighborhood,barrio,hood,or any ethnically named town,IE (china town,little this or that), for any reason

·
wanderin' roun somewhars
459 Posts
Everyone profiles all the time. We can't help it. It's our nature. You see a pretty girl and you immediately assesses her beauty. Women see a guy and they start assessing his attributes. It's may be labeled as politically incorrect but it's so totally natural it's inevitable. Try this experiment: lay two pencils on the table in front of yourself or anyone else and don't speak. Just sit there and look at them. Your mind will measure how long they are in comparison, which is sharper and with pencil looks nicer or less used. Whatever...

Racial profiling, economic inequality or any other type of label is just another was to describe how we see the world around us. Just because someone calls it ill mannered or politically incorrect doesn't mean you can change your internal natural programming to assess, measure and be aware. You CAN learn to keep your opinion to yourself and situational awareness is a critical life skill in almost any situation. Some people are naturally better at profiling because they listen to the still small voice inside their head and pay attention to what's happening around them.

Some people, not so much. But, profiling is totally natural and as it happens, required in a survival scenario.

·
Made In Detroit
1,748 Posts
Having grown up in Detroit, and then after high school escaped from there by joining the U.S. Marine Corps - I am always very aware of what is around me. Everyone and everything looks suspicious!

Not to mention my residing on 80 acres way out in the boonies with bears, mountain lions, bobcats, deer, and other various wildlife as neighbors - I look and listen often. Is that profiling? Plus living among the redwoods, don't forget to look above for 'widow makers', when tree branches can unexpectedly come crashing to the ground. Mother Nature can be a lethal old gal to the careless!

·
Registered
638 Posts
I'm retired Law Enforcement, thirty years. Racial profiling...as in ALL of this color or breed are bad, etc. is just plain stupid. However, profiling a person and taking race into consideration, is a matter of survival!

For example: Where I worked, there were a lot of Hispanics.... most Americans, many not.... but all proud of their culture. There are some things you just don't do, like questioning a males manhood, etc. unless you want a fight. People who did not or would not profile did not survive in the job. Profiling is a tool and like any tool, it can be misused.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
I grew up in what HL Mencken called "The Holy City of Mammon" in the 80s. Rode graffiti covered subways, got mugged, etc. Without thinking about it I size up everyone I encounter. Race, religion, number of eyes, etc. doesn't enter into it. Just threat assessment.

·
Badass Moderator 🤷
9,933 Posts
i pretty much don't like or trust anyone, so it saves me time picking out of a group.
Haha! My old man says I've gotten us kicked outta more things than he can count. (It was a rough few years there but now he cherishes his solitude as much as I've ALWAYS cherished mine. 😉)

·
Badass Moderator 🤷
9,933 Posts
Having grown up in Detroit, and then after high school escaped from there by joining the U.S. Marine Corps - I am always very aware of what is around me. Everyone and everything looks suspicious!

Not to mention my residing on 80 acres way out in the boonies with bears, mountain lions, bobcats, deer, and other various wildlife as neighbors - I look and listen often. Is that profiling? Plus living among the redwoods, don't forget to look above for 'widow makers', when tree branches can unexpectedly come crashing to the ground. Mother Nature can be a lethal old gal to the careless!
I don't trust NO TREES. EVER!! I watched that bitch ... And listened to her for a good 5 minutes. Everything looked fine. Bitch was just waiting on me -- snickering to herself under her breath, no doubt. 🙄 No worries though -- I'm making it my mission to get her lopped off at ground level and cut up into firewood. 😈

·
Super Moderator wearing a Cape
5,405 Posts
I don't trust NO TREES. EVER!! I watched that bitch ... And listened to her for a good 5 minutes. Everything looked fine. Bitch was just waiting on me -- snickering to herself under her breath, no doubt. 🙄 No worries though -- I'm making it my mission to get her lopped off at ground level and cut up into firewood. 😈
Tree Lives Matter...

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The bad guys profile us, just like we do them. That can work to your advantage or disadvantage, depending on how they perceive you. Predators can always spot the injured, the weak, and those that aren’t paying attention. The bad guys profile some folks as “the wrong one to mess with”. They typically look for low hanging fruit.

Someone probably profiles you every time you leave your home. Go in an expensive jewelry store, dressed like crap, and chances are the sales staff won’t be as eager to help you as the guy that walked in at the same time, that was wearing a suit. That’s profiling. May not be right, but that’s the way it is, a lot of times. I would guess that probably costs them some sales, at times.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts